Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default quick question - glucose test

With the glucose test do they take your blood, you drink the stuff, you come back in an hour and they take it again? Or do they only take it *after* the hour, so just once?
    And do you recall if you're allowed to leave, or have to sit there for the hour?
    I'm trying to decide if it's something I want to do with the kids in tow or not. If I can't leave, probably not.
    If I hve to give blood 2x in one hour, probably wait til dh can pick me up after.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Banned

Not sure if you can leave. For the one hour you drink the stuff and then get one blood work done after the hour, none before.

Ok great. I can probably handle one blood sample. If it was two I might end up woozy or something and have to walk home still.
    Thanks
    I think I'll get it done and over with and they can just tolerate my kids for the hour. They're oddly good at waiting rooms.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Yeah, the glucose challenge test they do as the first screen is just after. If you fail that one, they'll do the two hour one with more than one blood sample. I'm not sure about leaving, no reason why not that I can think of!

Expert Forum User

I opted out of that test because it was too hard to do with my ds1 in tow.
    (not encouraging you to do this)

you could call and ask if you're allowed to leave.
    ~Who ever said "don't cry over spilt milk" has never been a breast feeding mother with latch issues standing over a puddle

i had it taken before and after.
    “Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." ~Christopher Robin to Pooh~

I don't think they let me leave

I had it done a few weeks ago and they don't let you leave...not even to take a walk around the parking lot. I guess when you're in the waiting room they can keep an eye on you and make sure you don't eat anything, and are feeling alright. They only draw your blood after!

They didn't tell me to stay put but I did anyway, since there was nowhere really to go. I didn't ask, either.
    I had three vials taken after so that wasn't too bad.
    And the stuff wasn't fizzy this time, so not as horrible to drink. Just tasted like flat orange pop.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11

Expert Forum User

i did it with dd in tow... took some books and she was really good. before i drank the crappy pop dd pooped and i asked if i can go change her (in the car) they said yeah go now cause you can't leave after. but yeah the blood was only after.

Expert Forum User

When I went I had blood taken right away and then again after an hour. Last pregnancy when I did the 2 hour one I had it taken 3 times... maybe all labs are different?

i just had my glucose tolerance test today, after my doctors appointment the nurse gave me an orange tang drink and i had to drink it within 5 mins it was about he size of a glass apple juice container, and then 45mins-1hr later i had to report to the lab test centre and have my blood drawn, easy peasy...i had my mother baby appointment today so i used that to fill in the time after the doctors appointment, but those with kids can definately leave the building or go to any waiting room including the lab test centre (wouldn't suggest this at Vic in B tower on the 5th floor) as the waiting room is kinda tiny, might as well go hang out in front of the building and catch some fresh air...the drink wasn't that bad at the time, but it did leave a bad after taste about 30mins later as you couldn't have anything to eat or drink after the drink, but you don't need to fast prior to the test ( i did just to make sure i could do it) but either way it won't affect the results....

Expert Forum User

I was told to fast for my test

thats strange my doctor told me i didn't need to fast for the first test if i failed this test then i would have to....and also said not to stop eating carbs days before like you read on the internet....eat like you normally eat...

Expert Forum User

huh maybe my doctor was confused... but at the lab they also asked when I had last eaten to make sure I had fasted.... maybe there are different tests they do depending on what they think your risk is?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast