Expert Forum User

Question how long do you spend a day on school work?

For the ones who use cirriculum, how long a day are you working on school work in your house? We have been doing this trial thing at home, and seriously my kids are done their work within an hour and a half... is that "normal"????

I do understand that it varies, but still curious.

Like my daughter is definatly getting all the subjects in.. and doing VERY well (we are just doing review really), but it just seems too short. I dunno LOL

Candace~ Christ-clinging, babywearing, tiedying, barefoot, nature loving, crunchy mamma of three~

Expert Forum User

what ages again???
    ~ Annie ~
    Mom to 4 (B24, G23, G19, G9)

My Blog: It's just my life...
    Follow me on Twitter: @anniecannie

Expert Forum User

Im only really asking for grade 2. My other kid is only JK, I have little expectations on how much school work he should be doing, really we've just been doing some matching games and puzzles and art and fun stuff that is incorporated wiht some learning.

Candace~ Christ-clinging, babywearing, tiedying, barefoot, nature loving, crunchy mamma of three~

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Think about a school day in a traditional school setting: you get there, unpack your stuff, settle into desks, do attendance, listen to announcements, sing Oh Canada, listen to your teacher's blurb about the day, then start some work. Not too long after you tidy up for outdoors or food time.
    How much of their day is wasted iwth the getting read yto go in/out, or listening to stuff not even pertaining to them, or shuffling from one room to another?

I think an hour and a half is fine, and plenty, for a her 'work' time. I would assume she doesn't just sit and watch tv the rest of the time. Like she might read, or draw, or paint, or
    make bracelets, or play soccer, right? Do something? All that is part of learning, too
    It's called art, gym, etc. all important imo.
    It sounds like you're on a great track

(I only did homeschool officially for grade one but someone here pointed out all the other stuff they do at school that is basically using up a lolt of their time and it made me see that yea, an hour one on one is like twelve hours in a classroom of seventeen kids!)
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by *allie* View Post
    I think an hour and a half is fine, and plenty, for a her 'work' time. I would assume she doesn't just sit and watch tv the rest of the time. Like she might read, or draw, or paint, or
    make bracelets, or play soccer, right? Do something? All that is part of learning, too
    It's called art, gym, etc. all important imo.
    It sounds like you're on a great track
    No they dont really get too much tv time till the evenings anyways... she loves to read, write, and bracelets are HUGE for her right now LOL. They love to be outside, gettin dirty and stuff. She loves to go outside with her binder and a pen and teach the neighbourhood (Ask princess, her son has had to be in Alexis' class almost every day this summer LOL!!! )

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

IMO, all that stuff has value
    I'm not an unschooler; I had actual plans for what I wanted to accomplish, and did feel that certain things were useful so I intended to cover them in a certain order. I made worksheets sometimes, or did spelling words of the week, that kind of thing. But, like I said, I also value that kids learn through play, exploring, and just being kids. Maybe not stuff you'll see on the curriculuum exactly, but stuff that is just as important. Whether it's teaching a younger sibling how to work a fork, or learning with mommy how you put up a shelf, or learning from their friends how to play a new game. I think it's all got uses in life.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

I would say that's enough “work time“ for a grade 2 child, assuming that it means sitting at a table and doing workbooks, etc. As your homeschooling progresses, you could add in some projects (unit studies, lapbooks, etc.) and do some reading aloud to fill in more of the day. Don't forget that “field trips“ like going to museums, farms, homeschool events, the library, etc. count as learning time too.

We have a rule here that there's no TV or computer games (unless they have educational value in my eyes, lol) between 9-3:30. My kids will spend a good part of the day on learning things of their own choosing (researching on the computer, outside collecting bugs, reading, drawing, etc.) but they also have assignments and lessons (online courses, math, languages, etc.) that probably take up between 2-4 hours of their day. They are older than your kids, though (ages 9 & 11).

You'll find out what works best with your family through trial and error. Some families are very regimented, with schedules governing the day. Others have no schedules and no assignments whatsoever. Still others (like us) are somewhere in between or even fluctuate with the mood of the group, the time of the year, or the interests of the children.

Hope that helps!

Expert Forum User

I know for us last year... it only took about 1.5 hours for grade 1... this year we have already started but not to formal in the summer... just bits and pieces... I can't see us going over 2 hours at this age that is for sure.
    ~ Annie ~
    Mom to 4 (B24, G23, G19, G9)

My Blog: It's just my life...
    Follow me on Twitter: @anniecannie

I don't know about grade 2, but just wanted to mention about my experience with JK. My daughter just finished JK, and aside from packing, unpacking and moving from one room to the other, she also had gymnastics, gym, music lessons, library, computer time. So I'm guessing time actually doing workbooks and such was quite little (and remember most don't go every day in JK).