Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Question unschoolers, when writing the letter of intent to the school board...

When you are writing a letter to the school board stating you are giong to homeschool, but are going to unschool..do you still write "homeschooling" on the letter? Annnd how much do you really need to explain in them?

Thanks ladies

Candace~ Christ-clinging, babywearing, tiedying, barefoot, nature loving, crunchy mamma of three~

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! eversoclever's Avatar

The going advice on my homeschooling forum is to say the absolute least amount necessary. I would not personally articulate in writing that I'm unschooling.

Agree with ESC. Most homeschoolers don't understand unschooling so I have my doubts that a school would. Keep it simple and just state that you'll be homeschooling.
    No advice otherwise--I've never sent a letter (dd has never been to school)
    Calvin: People think it must be fun to be a super genius but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world.

Hobbes: Isn't your zipper suppose to be in the front of your pants?

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Wethree View Post
    No advice otherwise--I've never sent a letter (dd has never been to school)
    I thought it was manditory? Maybe thats just if they've already been attending school? (my daughter is going into grade 2, my son would be starting jk and is registered.)

Candace~ Christ-clinging, babywearing, tiedying, barefoot, nature loving, crunchy mamma of three~

Expert Forum User

Agreed, they don't need to know details.

“Homeschooling“ is fine.
    "Show me your horse and I will tell you who you are." -- Old English Saying

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Crunchy View Post
    I thought it was manditory? Maybe thats just if they've already been attending school? (my daughter is going into grade 2, my son would be starting jk and is registered.)
    Only if you pull a child out of school.

Not if a child has never been enrolled. I've never sent a letter either.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by dressage mom View Post
    Only if you pull a child out of school.

Not if a child has never been enrolled. I've never sent a letter either.
    so its probably a good idea that I do then eh? I just dont want anyone bothering us LOL!

Expert Forum User

Yes, but as others have said, you don't need to give details. You don't need to give reasons why, or how you plan on educating, or anything.

Good luck!

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by dressage mom View Post
    Yes, but as others have said, you don't need to give details. You don't need to give reasons why, or how you plan on educating, or anything.

Good luck!
    awesome sauce
    Thanks ladies you rock

I am going to try to find a more appropriate thread to put this info in, but it is regarding something that has always held me back from the decision to homeschool. I don't know if your kids would require therapy assistance in school, Mrs.C, you've never mentioned anything like that -- but for me, a big reason I didn't take the plunge was that I thought we would be giving up therapeutic resources that you can only receive from the school system.

Turns out, if you have the letter the school board sends you confirming your decision to homeschool (and apparently in some cases without the letter, though the details about that are a bit more fuzzy), you can apply for IMMEDIATE assistance for things like occupational therapy and speech therapy. These are legally protected rights -- I just have to go find the document online again, lol.

Anyway. It is good to know that the decision to homeschool does not have to be weighed against a child's need for services. In fact, as a homeschooling parent my child will receive these services much more quickly than if they were enrolled in traditional school.
    Last edited by eversoclever; 07-23-2011 at 07:24 PM.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by eversoclever View Post
    I am going to try to find a more appropriate thread to put this info in, but it is regarding something that has always held me back from the decision to homeschool. I don't know if your kids would require therapy assistance in school, Mrs.C, you've never mentioned anything like that -- but for me, a big reason I didn't take the plunge was that I thought we would be giving up therapeutic resources that you can only receive from the school system.

Turns out, if you have the letter the school board sends you confirming your decision to homeschool (and apparently in some cases without the letter, though the details about that are a bit more fuzzy), you can apply for IMMEDIATE assistance for things like occupational therapy and speech therapy. These are legally protected rights -- I just have to go find the document online again, lol.

Anyway. It is good to know that the decision to homeschool does not have to be weighed against a child's need for services. In fact, as a homeschooling parent my child will receive these services much more quickly than if they were enrolled in traditional school.

I am SO glad you mentioned this and I dont mind discussing it more with you here or whatever, as Tayven DOES need speech therapy. He has a moderate speech delay. This is something I think that is causing my husband to be so wishy washy about it (we still havent come to a conclusion yet but it is looking like we WILL homeschool/unschool or whatever) . I think he is concerned for Tayven's speech if we homeschool. Do you have resources for this you could share with me? Links?

I'll look up the other info I've received later on tonight.

Expert Forum User

awesome awesome awesome. Thanks!!!

OK, here is a portion of an email I received from another homeschooling parent about this stuff, partially censored.

The policy the boards are meant to follow PPM 131 has been interpreted by The Ontario Federation of Teaching Parents to mean that if your child has been in school you must register and send them a letter of intent each year. Just stating you are going to homeschool your kids names and ages. If your child has never been registered you are not obligated to send the letter. However not sending the letter is mentioned in the policy as

“The following is a list of some of the reasons that may give a board cause to investigate a particular instance of home schooling:

-refusal of a parent to notify the board in writing of the intent to provide home schooling
    -a credible report of concern by a third party with respect to the instruction being provided in the home
    -evidence that the child was removed from attendance at school because of ongoing conflicts with the school, not for the purpose of home schooling
    -a history of absenteeism by the child prior to the parent's notifying the board of the intent to provide home schooling “

I registered both of mine for the Shut up factor. I send the letter once a year and get one back once a year. I argued the not required to send one at all for my daughter one year when she was about 8 and they called as I forgot the letter. The board was quite adamant and I knew they would go away once they had the letter.

Sending the letter allows me the services that X mentioned (“your child will have access to speech therapy, occupational therapy and physiotherapy only if you have the confirmation of homeschooling letter from the school board. (You send in your notice of homeschooling, the school board sends a confirmation of homeschooling letter back.) You access these services through your local CCAC (Community Care Access Centre).“)

It also allows me to order books from Scholastics Canada as a teacher.

So far I have never had an issue as long as they had the letter.
    Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast