Default a place for articles

I recently had a post for a very touchy subject and many people gave me articles to make an informed choice is there or could there be a place on this site that stores articles that parents can make informed choices but have the articles for both sides not just one sided so we get all of the facts??

Expert Forum User

Sounds like a good idea - each thread could be titled with the subject - ie circumcision, vaccination etc.

Problem is, there needs to be some way to discuss the articles, and refute them if they are flawed, or from an unreliable source, which leads to more discussion, and I'm not sure how that would be kept out? For example, in the case of the circ threads (the recent one, but more so the BD one), through discussion, many articles were effectively argued against, which wouldn't happen if the articles were presented without discussion, and then the information in them might be taken as accurate when it actually isn't, kwim? There are a lot of knowledgeable women on here, in many different subject areas.

For example, there was an article posted in your other thread which apparently showed pros as well as cons to circ, but these have been shown to be really clutching at straws n other threads before them - the hygiene issue was also argued very strongly and eloquently by Dressage's brother, the only owner of a penis to have posted (albeit indirectly) on the thread.

Arguments such as the one against penile cancer have been argued before (we don't remove our daughters' breast tissue just in case, and they are far more likely to develop breast cancer than a boy is penile cancer), and it a condition much rarer than the complications caused by the procedure.

The STI argument can be very swiftly dismissed by the use of the word 'condom', which is something far more effective and the use of which should be encouraged by/for all regardless of foreskin.

Sorry, I know you didn't ask for discussion, but I don't think your request is quite that simple. We asked for reliable articles to be posted within the thread where they could be discussed, and they weren't.

This post is an example of the discussion that can and should happen as the result of an article being posted. It's not snarky, or disrespectful, just part of the natural flow of discussion and conversation, and unfortunately there is no way to control what other people think, believe, research or post (except within the general forum rules). Unless you want a closed-type forum where people just make statements and don't interact.

Sorry that I have continued the subject here, but the context has been effectively brought from other thread by posting about it - maybe the two threads can be merged?

ETA - also, if you were to make a sticky or thread for articles only, imo, that would completely devalue personal experiences such as Hinagal's, Dressage's brother, and M2M (I believe a link to that thread was supplied in the other thread). It also disregards cultural perspectives such as Lacuna's, mine, anyone else not brought up in Canada, or having a specific set of beliefs around a topic that they can't post or elaborate on.
    Last edited by dashenka; 07-22-2011 at 10:38 AM.
    Mummy to two wonderful miracle boys

Expert Forum User

I agree there would need to be discussion on the articles - for example studies of the environmental effects of cloth diapers vs. disposables. The two main “studies“ that have been presented and that are almost universally referred to in anti-cloth articles are commissioned and paid for by Pampers, and are misleading to say the least.

For example - here are the conditions of the study, as stated in the fine print:

- Study assumed that parents would use 4 disposable diapers per day, while cloth diapering parents would use 6. Both these numbers are low.
    -Study assumed that children will be toilet trained by 18 months, which is not the national average and leans in favour of disposables.
    -Study assumed x amount of electricity, water etc were used, which is how much 20 year old machines would use, not modern machines
    And that is just the start of the study, not even arguing the nitty gritty details like if the diapers were organic or not, if the disposables were disposed of properly, where the poop goes (landfill or sewer system). Anyone reading the articles that cite this study would think it seems legit unless they actually took the time to find the study, and then read the fine print on it. Lets face it most people won't do that so the myth that disposables are better for or at least not more harmful for the environment is allowed to perpetuate.
    Last edited by WateryTart; 07-22-2011 at 10:45 AM.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I think it would be cool to have a forum for circumcision. Throw all the threads in there.

And one for breast feeding

etc etc

But its easy for me to say, cause I dont have to do the work

Expert Forum User

A lot of work, but maybe someone would be able to take on the task - a thread that holds just links to articles as well as a link to a another thread that discusses each article. This would allow a person to look at a list of articles and then if they wish go to another thread to see how that article was debated - if an article is proven false (not just opinions but actually contianing false information) this could go in the original thread as well.

However, what would be ideal (and I never see this happening) is when a thread is started requesting information on a touchy subject that all those responding offer answers or links to the questions or clear debates against them and not the accustations and jokes and other responses that are often seen within the thread.

there was a comment in your last thread that you must have not researched enough because you were still willing to circ - that in my opinion is uncalled for. The person has no idea how much research you put into it nor why you made the decision you did, they assumed you were wrong because you did not make the same decision they did, another comment was because youleft it up to dh and he is prob circ so that is why he wants his son to look the same - again assumptions. I konw that in the case of my boys dh being circd or not had no baring on our decision. If fact we discussed that topic exactly that neither of us cared what his parents had chosen we were making the decision for our children on what to do!

I think that a whole thread of articles is pointless. If you want a list of articles, do a Google search.

An informed decision requires critical thinking, and critical discussion of the facts, opinions, options and outcomes. Articles can't be taken at face value.....
    "Anything is better than lies and deceit". Leo Tolstoy

Expert Forum User

Many of the “touchy“ subjects involve a lot more emotion than they do facts and articles researching these subjects often skew research to support their own views.
    Also, an article posted on here could be reputed the next week (ie. new research could render it invalid) so the threads would constantly have to be reviewed and updated.
    Please always show kindness in your posts as the person receiving it may need it more than you will ever know.

SAHM to two boys, 13 and 7.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by dashenka View Post
    Sounds like a good idea - each thread could be titled with the subject - ie circumcision, vaccination etc.

Problem is, there needs to be some way to discuss the articles, and refute them if they are flawed, or from an unreliable source, which leads to more discussion, and I'm not sure how that would be kept out? For example, in the case of the circ threads (the recent one, but more so the BD one), through discussion, many articles were effectively argued against, which wouldn't happen if the articles were presented without discussion, and then the information in them might be taken as accurate when it actually isn't, kwim? There are a lot of knowledgeable women on here, in many different subject areas.

For example, there was an article posted in your other thread which apparently showed pros as well as cons to circ, but these have been shown to be really clutching at straws n other threads before them - the hygiene issue was also argued very strongly and eloquently by Dressage's brother, the only owner of a penis to have posted (albeit indirectly) on the thread.

Arguments such as the one against penile cancer have been argued before (we don't remove our daughters' breast tissue just in case, and they are far more likely to develop breast cancer than a boy is penile cancer), and it a condition much rarer than the complications caused by the procedure.

The STI argument can be very swiftly dismissed by the use of the word 'condom', which is something far more effective and the use of which should be encouraged by/for all regardless of foreskin.

Sorry, I know you didn't ask for discussion, but I don't think your request is quite that simple. We asked for reliable articles to be posted within the thread where they could be discussed, and they weren't.

This post is an example of the discussion that can and should happen as the result of an article being posted. It's not snarky, or disrespectful, just part of the natural flow of discussion and conversation, and unfortunately there is no way to control what other people think, believe, research or post (except within the general forum rules). Unless you want a closed-type forum where people just make statements and don't interact.

Sorry that I have continued the subject here, but the context has been effectively brought from other thread by posting about it - maybe the two threads can be merged?

ETA - also, if you were to make a sticky or thread for articles only, imo, that would completely devalue personal experiences such as Hinagal's, Dressage's brother, and M2M (I believe a link to that thread was supplied in the other thread). It also disregards cultural perspectives such as Lacuna's, mine, anyone else not brought up in Canada, or having a specific set of beliefs around a topic that they can't post or elaborate on.
    Well said!

Expert Forum User

I agree with the above posters.
    Although it's an interesting idea, I think that the discussion and what leads to articles being given is in a way needed. It's your choice ultimately if you open them or not and it doesn't make much difference if they're on the thread.

If a new article is published, post it/the link in either DD, Did You Hear About or an applicable topic section. For example, just the other day I postedanew weight/age study in the Health section.

When I got pregnant with Dd2 I posted a thread asking for both sides of the circ story. It was a good thread. Made my decision, but then she was a girl. Those threads do happen!

And FWIW, I believe Jvan started off saying she left the research/decision to her dh which is why people said she should've done more on her own. She later backtracked and said she had researched in response to that.