Thread: FRO

Default FRO

So I have a question. We're not too sure what to do. We found out a bit ago that DF's ex took the case to FRO. They are now coming after DF for support. They took his taxes, any monthly cheques he gets, and they are planning on garnishing his wages. Now he has no problem whatsoever paying support but here's the twist.

They are saying he owes around 10 grand. She started this case back in late 2008. When they were together. We have court papers that she wrote up stating that they'd been together fully (not on and off) since 2007 until August of 2010. He's paying all the back support right now. We've told this to them and they don't care. They said they have his signature on that paperwork proving that they had split. She has been charged with fraud already so we're assuming she signed his name. I asked him flat out, did you sign any paperwork that she had ever given you. He said no, why would I sign paperwork for support and all that when we were together? It doesn't make sense. And he's right, it doesn't. At all. Either way, they have already taken almost a grand from him. She's getting the money for him even though she doesn't even live with DSS. She left him with her mom and her sister. We've brought this to the courts attention. They still want his address to remain there until trial at least in August. She doesn't visit him all that often. She only comes for the pick-up Friday nights when DF goes to her moms.

Now I don't want you to think he doesn't pay for his son. He has since they split up. The only problem, he didn't get any receipts. (I gave him royal crap for that) So he can't prove anything. From 2007-2010, they lived together. He supported her. He paid for everything she wanted and needed, as well as DSS. I'm sure he could go back and find a paper trail to prove this but I'm unsure of how.

How do we fix this? We don't understand why she gets the money if she doesn't even have DSS in her care. It should go to who has him in their care. Which would be her mother until we go to trial. She doesn't even live in the same damn city. She took off out of town. We've tried talking to his lawyer about this but he's insanely hard to get a hold of.

Expert Forum User

oh boy. FRO is a nightmare as far as i'm concerned. i could rant!!
    in my case, the ex is totally taking advantage of an outdated system.
    i wish you luck. i haven't had much luck communicating with them.
    as far as i have gotten, they will change NOTHING without a direct order from a judge.
    ~"Just because I have strong opinions, does not mean I judge. Do not mistake passion for judgment. For you might find you are the one doing the judging". ~ Unknown

Expert Forum User

Did they have a lease together? Any bills for him to their address when they were “seperated?“ Bank statements with the same address?

04/05/12 & 28/09/12 - Mama loves you, Babies.

did he file taxes as common law or as a single during that time? any paper proof they were together?

sounds like a sticky situation that will have to involve the courts to fix it, and honestly, that may end up costing you the 10 grand if you don't qualify for legal aid. The FRO is an overworked, innefficient, outdated gov't system. The ombudsman report clearly states they are not even meeting their mandate. Expect them to do nothing to help you out beyond tell you what they can and can't do in a curt phone call. In the FRO world, its guilty until proven innocent and the payers are the criminals. It sucks.

Start with gathering whatever paper trail you can think of, including getting copies of all his old bank statements that show withdrawals which reflect him giving her the support she's claiming. Talk to the people at the family law office of the local court house. Start there and find out what you can do, if anything.
    Last edited by WynterMom; 07-21-2011 at 10:50 PM.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

the money goes to the person who gold legal custody even if that person hands the child to grand ma they still get it.

As for support fax FRO the papers stating they were together anyways and get the issue brought into the trial

Quote Originally Posted by sittingpretty View Post
    the money goes to the person who gold legal custody even if that person hands the child to grand ma they still get it.

As for support fax FRO the papers stating they were together anyways and get the issue brought into the trial
    See nobody technically has custody. The courts know she does not live with him, they know her Mother/sister has him. At this point, her mom/sister have DSS in their care according to the courts until we go to trial. Not sure which one it was right now but it's one of the two. (They live together)

At this point it's such a big mess, that's a big reason things are being settled at the trial. The custody matter probably won't be but the rest of the issues and who has primary care of him will be. And the person that suffers is DSS. I hate it. I keep telling DF that no matter how bad things are they NEED to get along for the sake of him. Otherwise it's just going to be rough for DSS and that's not fair to him. This is a big reason why I get along with the BD of my boy. I lived that life as a child and it hurts. I don't wish that on anybody else. No child should be put in the middle or tossed around like that.

WynterMom: I'm pretty sure they filed together. I'm not positive though. I'm going to ask him today when he wakes up. He got home from work this morning and went right to bed. I never thought about that. It would be a good idea. And considering it's official government things, that would be amazing if they filed together.

If your in court submit a motion to stay arrears. I'm going through a motion to stay arrears now, that will give you time to get the paperwork sorted out without bankrupting you.