Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Catholic Schools vs Public Schools

I am curious to hear from other parents, what your opinion is on Catholic Schools vs Public Schools? (Not the debate as to weather Catholic Schools should be publicly funded please )

If your child is in a Catholic School, what swayed your decision to enroll them in that board, vs the public board?

If your child was eligable for Catholic School, but you chose to enroll in public, why?

Thanks
    "Anything is better than lies and deceit". Leo Tolstoy

Expert Forum User

Dh & both attended catholic and wanted our kids to do the same. Niece is eligible but mom puts her in public because that's what she was in. Ds is in a catholic hs but I went to a public hs. My reasons to go public after grade school was strictly social motivated.

We had a miserable experience with the public school, and because of the way boundaries are set up, we chose to go to the Catholic Board. We've been much happier with our experience with the Catholic Board.

We were granted an out of boundaries waiver for the Public Board, but I just didn't feel like dealing with it.

we are catholic and are raising the kids catholic. i wanted them in catholic school to learn all about it, they are better at explaining it then I for one.
    jennifer mommy to 4 amazing kids!

Our Catholic school is smaller than the public school that we are in the district for. Its more convenient for our child care provider, and for us.

Banned

I've found that Catholic schools are much much smaller and it is way more personalized. Everyone kinda knows everyone.

I find that for our sons special needs , the public board offered what he most needed . He is in a classroom with 6 other students and is doing very well,

The catholic board is moer integrated and that did not meet B's needs.

I am thankful that I've been able to have my kids in both boards and love the program that B is in, His school is really small as well, around 200 kids.

Our Catholic school has 195 kids

I went to Catholic elementary school, and public HS. DH was in public school for both elementary and HS.

I teach in the public board...but did my teaching practicums in the Catholic board, so I feel like I've seen a lot of both boards, and IMO there are some things that each does better.

All along I have planned to send L to public school (because DH was pretty adamant about it) but lately I am starting to re-think it and re-consider the Catholic board.

Our local public school is about 200 kids. Our local Catholic is about 400 kids (in a brand new building). Each school has its advantages.

But, right now I am trying to soul search a little about how important it is to me that she receive some religious education? Because, I will be honest, its one area I do a piss poor job in at home, and I don't see that improving.

Hrm.

Decisions decisions decisions.
    "Anything is better than lies and deceit". Leo Tolstoy

Expert Forum User

When I was in grade four, we went on our regular visit to the church next to the school as we did every other friday afternoon. There I was lectured on what it meant to be a martyr for Christ. It was explained to me that if I were ever in a life or death situation, and that if the choice were to deny god or die, I should choose to die because denying god is the one of the worst sins - and in doing so I would be damned to hell.

In grade 8, the local priest (same one who baptized me, incidentally) explained to a room full of children that the class pet that had died over the weekend had no soul, and would not be going to heaven, and we shouldn't cry because it is just an animal that had been put on earth to serve us.

It is my own experiences in Catholic schools for the first 10 grades of my life that caused me to be 100% certain that I would never enroll my child into a school in which their grades are in anyway dependent on their accepting dogma similar to that above.

Expert Forum User

I would only send our kids to a catholic school if we were actually catholic and we practiced it in our daily lives, such as church and what not.

We are anglican and the kids have never been to church. I went to church growing up, but that is it.

I am with Danielle. I wouldn't want me kids to go somewhere where they feel like they have to believe a certain way, especially when we don't.

"The secret to having it all... Is knowing you already do."

Expert Forum User

I'm baptized anglican so qualify but am not religious so didnt want DS going to a school where he has to study and learn religion.

I'm from LaSalle outside Windsor and my sister plans toput her child in French school (not immersion - DH is french) so it has to be catholic since public would be a long bus ride into windsor.

Also, since I'm a supply teacher I find it offensive that since I got pregnant last year and wasnt married I could have been fired if I worked for the catholic board. Also, I have a friend who is with catholic board and if shes in highschool and kids ask about sex she has to lie and say she is a virgin since shes single/never married. And she cant tell kids who ask about safe sex anything -she can only say to wait till marriage and ask parents - but if they cant/wont ask parents they receive no info.

I considered the Catholic board when we were living in Chapleau, after hearing from moms here and there that there is far less prayer and god talk in their catholic schools than my kid was getting in his public school
    but otherwise owuldn't consider it , as we aren't catholic, and we ended up homeschooling instead until we were out of that town.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

Because my dh is Catholic, I suppose we had the option of sending ours there, but I never considered it because we are not 'practicing' Catholics.
    My dh went to Catholic school and I went to public school. His education was no better than mine, and I agree that unless you are very religious and want the religious content in their studies there is no real reason to send them. I suppose if you are Catholic and the public school in your area has a bad reputation, it might be worth looking at.
    Please always show kindness in your posts as the person receiving it may need it more than you will ever know.

SAHM to two boys, 13 and 7.

Catholic

My reasons are simple.

We like being able to say “Merry Christmas“ and love that our children are free to express their belief in God.
    Catherine
    Mama of 2 wonderful Children,
    July 2006 & January 2008

Expert Forum User

Most people I know are currently debating sending their kids to either FI for FFL over english based schools. I went to a public school and when I went to school the catholic schools seemed to go on better school trips, had smaller classes, etc. I don't know how much that differs today between the two school boards. I know quite a few people that christened their kids just so they would have the option and none go to church at all. I may be inclined to choose a newer school with more opportunity.

I am baptized Catholic, but not terribly religious. I went to a private catholic high school. My mom insisted because our local private school was much better quality than our public school that had known problems with gang activity.

I think it depends on the school. If the teachers are ah... the more unpleasant kind, it can be very oppressive to someone whose views are not the same. My school was very open minded and considerate, we had a number of students with different faiths. We had one islamic (or is it muslim? I cannot remember which is the correct term.) a few jews, and quite a few different denominations. As long as you were respectful you were not forced to pray, or participate in the school masses.

It was a better education, and my sister went to a public school (we moved, no private schools in the area) and did not get as good of an education.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast