Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default A tale of two calves — one calf was fed on raw milk, the other on pasteurized

A tale of two calves — one calf was fed on raw milk, the other on pasteurized
    Here are the preliminary results (June 3), as reported by Michael Schmidt:

Check link to see pictures, astounding!

A tale of two calves — one calf was fed on raw milk, the other on pasteurized | The Bovine

Raw milk fed calf
    To understand the results of our raw milk experiment it is important to tolerate the so called scientific demands. That means in order to get accepted and being taken seriously by the scientific establishment you need to have 100 or 200 or 300 or may be even 1000 calves to make a scientific valid point .However the simple fact that the so called experts have not yet entered into a joint research project as proposed by me already in 1994 has given me even a greater confidence that the results we have seen with these two calves are credible and significant. They are in fact supporting the findings of Pottenger’s cat study, which as well has been ignored and ridiculed.

Calf fed on pasteurized milk diet
    The experiment was costing us over 5000 dollars just in milk. This is a significant amount for us, since we did not get any support from corporate sponsors.

The weight of the two calves was basically equal at the beginning of the feeding trial.

At the end the raw milk calf weight 200 kg and the pasteurized milk calf weight 115 kg.

They gained weight almost equally for about 8 weeks and then the pasteurized milk calf started falling back.

A significant difference during the 4 month trial was always the different smell and the consistency of the manure. The raw milk calf had mostly a well formed manure and normal smell you would expect. Contrary to that the manure of the pasteurized calf was runny and the color mostly grey or almost white during the feeding trial.

We did not treat either of these calves for any condition. We would have if there would have been a life threatening situation.

The hair on the raw milk calf was shiny and solid on the pasteurized calf dull and easily pulled out.

The alertness in the two calves was a major difference: the pasteurized calf seemed very uninterested with a clear lack of movement.

After nearly 5 months we could see that the pasteurized calf would have had difficulty to survive without medication and supplements.

Below are some of the pictures to show the obvious visual differences.

Livers: Pasteurized on the left, Raw on the right

A tale of two stomachs -- in the cart raw milk stomach with solid contents, and on the floor the stomach from the calf which was fed on pasteurised milk, with very bad smelling runny contents

Raw kidney

Kidney from pasteurized milk fed calf

Testes of pasteurized milk fed calf

Testes of raw milk fed calf

Raw milk is meant for baby cows. Straight from the boob goodness. Of course the other cow isn't going to thrive on pasteurized milk.

Not trying to sound snarky... What is the point of this study? Is it trying to show the benefits of raw milk to humans? (I didn't click the link, just read what you posted.)
    My little man was born on Oct 12/08 at home into Dad's loving hands.
    My little lady was born on July 28/11 at home... Daddy was busy keeping mom company.

I have 1 baby Santa Suit for Sale 0-3 months (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/vbclassif...&memberid=2201) or to Trade (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/104323-tr...it#post1592622). Thanks for looking!

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Oh wow. The difference in the livers is really noticable. I don't know enough about cows to really see the other differences.

Stealing the link for my FB.

Funny, co-worker and I were talking about how to go about getting raw milk. Some lady she knows comes to London every Monday and you can get raw milk from her. It's illegal to sell, so you have to “buy“ part of the cow for her to sell you the milk. I just sent her the link.
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I think the point is a lot of good stuff is killed off in the pasturization process. It's not meant to be pasturized.

I realize we can't all have a cow to milk in the yard, but in general we're really far away from eating what we supposed to be eating. In it's natural form without modification.

(As I sip my Starbucks Vanilla coffee that came in an individual packet.)
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

Expert Forum User

on a side note, WHY is it illegal to sell raw milk in canada? It's readily available in a lot of states, including MI.
    Is there any push to make it legal?

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleCat View Post
    Raw milk is meant for baby cows. Straight from the boob goodness. Of course the other cow isn't going to thrive on pasteurized milk.

Not trying to sound snarky... What is the point of this study? Is it trying to show the benefits of raw milk to humans? (I didn't click the link, just read what you posted.)

Also not trying to sound snarky - but I also don't really see the point of this study. Of course the second baby cow didn't develop properly. Babies, both of the animal and human variety, need mother's milk (or an appropriate substitute) to develop and thrive. I wouldn't dream of pasteurizing my breast milk and offering it to my son - he would absolutely suffer as a result.
    Adults and older children, however, do not need mother's milk to survive. This is where I feel the study fails. You can't compare the results of raising a baby calf on pasteurized milk with an adult human/older child drinking the same. Their bodies no longer depend on any kind of milk as a sole source of nutrition.

Then again, no other animal drinks any kind of milk once weaned. And especially not the milk of another species. Only humans do that.

I'm definitely not dumping on your post, mama. I also remember Michael Schmidt and how he was charged with selling raw milk - which I entirely disagree with. I think raw milk should be perfectly legal for those who choose to buy it. I just don't think this study will do much to help his cause.

I think the study is valuable and something worth considering. Milk is promoted as such a important part of our diet. I think we should question what we eat and maybe we should be questioning if raw milk is better for humans for the obvious reason most of us drink it.

Maybe it's so much better for us raw, maybe we're missing out on nutrients we would get if we didn't drink it pasteurized. It's like I can buy the veggies in the store and a tomato is still a tomato but my organic seeds and my picked when it's fresh one is the obvious better choice. (then the picked when it's not ripe, GMO seeds and pesticide laden ones)
    Last edited by my2babies; 07-08-2011 at 11:52 AM.

No expert here but of course raw milk is best for a calf. Why did they waste $5000 on such a study? Not to mention the health of the other calf. The study doesn't prove/disprove anything about human consumption of cow's milk which is not at all a logical or natural choice. Even if it is tasty.

Calves=cow's milk
    Babys=human milk. Hmm...maybe it works as a pro nursing study? LOL I dunno!
    Cole is 8 years old! January, 2005
    Nate is 5 years old! January, 2008
    Judah is 2 years old! October, 2010
    Avery Grace born & passed Feb 4, 2007.

"Why did I not know that birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers?"
    Anita Diamant (The Red Tent)

Why wouldn't a human question it might be better for them too not pasteurized?

Oh and for ppl who don't know he has been huge in the news for the promotion of raw milk for ppl. I think the study is for what I think it's for - to make ppl consider that raw milk might have more health benefits then pasteurized milk.
    Last edited by my2babies; 07-08-2011 at 11:54 AM. Reason: spelling

Banned

So they basically tortured the one calf by giving it pasturized milk, which it naturally shouldn't have? When their diet is 100% milk and they are giving it pasturized to prove a point, that's awful.
    I'm far from a vegetarian, but am really confused why they would purposely harm an animal for an extended period of time to prove a point that would be really obvious.

Expert Forum User

The vast majority of people give their 1 year old pasteurized milk. I would much prefer the option to give my baby raw milk if not breastmilk.

Banned

I give my 1 year old pasturized milk, but it doesn't make up 100% of his diet, or even 20% of his diet. He gets everything he needs from his food.
    They gave this baby calf 100% pasturized milk.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisa View Post
    I give my 1 year old pasturized milk, but it doesn't make up 100% of his diet, or even 20% of his diet. He gets everything he needs from his food.
    They gave this baby calf 100% pasturized milk.
    So is your issue that the study was mean to the calf? Many animals we eat are in situations that make them ill. We eat diseased animals. Poultry for example they will take out the obvious sick birds, which are sick because they have diseases such as hepatitis but they don't test the whole flock.

I think we all buy into milk has health benefits or we wouldn't drink it.

Anyway it might appear I posted this for a debate, but I didn't. I do think however that the outcome was surprising to myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast