Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Expert Forum User
    lilabelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Out of towner
    Posts
    4,446
    Rep Power
    246

    Default Confused about BPA

    I'm sure I'm not the only one that is confused about which plastics are safe/safer to use and what it all really means in the end. I have tried to do some research about it and am thinking of changes I can easily make in our own home that can ensure a limited exposure. I still find it confusing to decide how far to go with it. I have tried to purge items in our house which are on the "bad" list and that I can live without anyways. I am having a harder time tossing other items which get so much use and are super super user friendly for the kids of travel lunches for example. YKWIM?

    I am trying to use glass more often for storing food, drinks and mixing up juices. I did order some "safe" travel cups from SIGG which look really cool anyhow, so I am excited about that. I am keeping some of our plastic though, and I'm having a hard time wanting to give up my Nalgene or Avent bottles. Not that that will matter much as I will almost certainly nurse #3 exclusively as I did with my other 2.

    You just read so much conflicting information and it is really hard to weed through it all. Did anyone see the post on kijiji today? I think I may copy and paste for you to read, I hope that is OK, I'm by no means taking credit for writing it. Perhaps one of you ladies even wrote it. I'd be interested to know if it is a LM. It really got me thinking. Now I'm even more confused!


    Here is the posting from today from kijiji;

    I normally thing these types of Ads are pretty pathetic. But with all the concern about Toxic Baby bottle I think people need to know all the facts and not just what the media is putting out there.

    Please bare in mind while you read this I am a new 1st time mom of a 2 month old who for what ever reason will NOT take to any other bottle but Avent. Trust me I’ve ran out of cupboard space storing all the others. So naturally wanting the best for my son I have done my homework on this. My Phone bill will back me up.

    One thing you need to know is this isnt New news. Its been known since the 30's that BPA at toxic levels can mimic estrogen. And test have been done ever since. Im not a fan of the government but if it was all that harmful that after nearing 80 years they would have banned it already. And something else the media fails to release is the Canadian government has chosen BPA (along with approx. 200 others) for more careful study to determine if it poses a risk to human health or the environment. BPA will be monitored in 5,000 Canadians as a part of the Canadian Health Measures Survey. Most exposure is assumed to be through ingestion, but there is currently no legislation for BPA in Canada regarding BPA leakages from products.

    Two it is a chemical added to hard, clear polycarbonate plastics like those used in reusable water bottles and baby bottles, as well as the resins lining food cans including formula cans and in some dental amalgams and sealants. So throwing out your bottles isnt going to rid your child of being exposed to PBA untill it is banned.

    Three they say BPA exposure all though to what levels have never been said are to a host of health problems, including obesity, breast and prostate cancer, type 2 diabetes, behavioral problems, early onset of puberty, fertility problems and multiple miscarriages....But everyone must admit that we are ALWAYS looking for a new excuse as to why we are all so fat and our kids are out of control... and everything else.

    And one more thing if you read the recent study it showed that the bottles only leached out when heated to 80+ degree’s. WHO THE HELL heats there children’s bottle to 80+ degrees than hands it to them. For us parents, it’s all very confusing. We’ve used plastic products our whole life – and I for one feel fine. But what’s behind the increase in cancer rates? Just this week, Statistics Canada reported that cancer is about to overtake heart disease as the number one killer of Canadians. Could BPA be at least partly behind this increase...posbilbly but what about all the other chemicals we breath in simply just walking out our doors.

    I for one will stick with my Avent and will use Avent with my next child aswell. Scared to death at first read of this news, calmed and not convinced after researching it more. I simply post this in hopes I save one more mom the hassle of not sleeping at night wondering if she’s poisoning her child at every feed.

  2. #2
    Expert Forum User
    MilkyMama's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,189
    Rep Power
    289

    Default

    Interesting read. Thanks for posting. There are a few points I'd like to make though.

    ...if it was all that harmful that after nearing 80 years they would have banned it already.
    I disagree.

    Two it is a chemical added to hard, clear polycarbonate plastics like those used in reusable water bottles and baby bottles, as well as the resins lining food cans including formula cans and in some dental amalgams and sealants. So throwing out your bottles isnt going to rid your child of being exposed to PBA untill it is banned.
    Just because the sun can be harmful in large doses and the fact that we can't avoid it altogether does not mean that we should not do what we can to limit our exposure.

    Three they say BPA exposure all though to what levels have never been said are to a host of health problems, including obesity, breast and prostate cancer, type 2 diabetes, behavioral problems, early onset of puberty, fertility problems and multiple miscarriages....But everyone must admit that we are ALWAYS looking for a new excuse as to why we are all so fat and our kids are out of control... and everything else.
    That one made me laugh!

    And one more thing if you read the recent study it showed that the bottles only leached out when heated to 80+ degree’s. WHO THE HELL heats there children’s bottle to 80+ degrees than hands it to them.
    I never bottle fed however I believe most people boil water and then pour that boiling water into their bottles to mix the formula and then wait for the formula to cool down. So therefore the toxins are leached into the bottle at that point. Just because it has cooled down, deos not mean the toxins are no longer present. Am I wrong?

    MM
    *sigh*



    Breastfeeding Success Essentials:
    SUPPORT ~ EDUCATION ~ DETERMINATION

    Beat the "Booby Traps" to Breastfeeding Success!


    ~The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'~

    ~Do or Do Not. There is no try.~
    Yoda

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Collingwood
    Posts
    15,422
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MilkyMama View Post
    I never bottle fed however I believe most people boil water and then pour that boiling water into their bottles to mix the formula and then wait for the formula to cool down. So therefore the toxins are leached into the bottle at that point. Just because it has cooled down, deos not mean the toxins are no longer present. Am I wrong?

    MM
    I didn't bottle feed either, but I thought you boiled the water and cooled it down, and then added it to the formula and re-heated the bottle to the right temp when you needed it.

    Anyway, obviously the blind leading the blind there!

    On the BPA issue...I haven't read any of the research or any of the news reports either. I don't see the point in freaking myself out! What's done is done now. There's no point worrying about what they've already been exposed to, so I'm just making the changes in my household that I can live with. I got rid of the plastic food storage containers and switched to glass, with the exception of a couple of small containers that I kept for sending my kids' snacks to school in. Feel pretty good about that one and I have to say the glass containers look so much nicer in the fridge and freezer! I got rid of the plastic sippy cups and the older three now have Kleen Kanteens and Jack has a Kleen Kanteen sippy cup. I haven't used baby bottles in years (Adam occasionally had expressed milk from a bottle) and no longer own any.

    That's all well and good, but come September I have to send my kids to school with a packed lunch. There's no way I'm sending them with glass containers so I have to think about what I'm going to do there. i might start another thread on that actually!

    There'll always be extremes - the people that get rid of everything ina panic, the people that do absolutely nothing, and the majority who will do whatever they can live with. I'm in the majority!

  4. #4
    Expert Forum User
    MilkyMama's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,189
    Rep Power
    289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mum_of_four View Post
    I didn't bottle feed either, but I thought you boiled the water and cooled it down, and then added it to the formula and re-heated the bottle to the right temp when you needed it.

    Anyway, obviously the blind leading the blind there!
    LOL! Yes definitely the blind leading the blind I haen't been around too many FF but the 2 I do know, definitely poured boiling water straight into the bottles. Maybe that's old school?

    Quote Originally Posted by mum_of_four View Post
    That's all well and good, but come September I have to send my kids to school with a packed lunch. There's no way I'm sending them with glass containers so I have to think about what I'm going to do there. i might start another thread on that actually!
    What about stainless steel containers?

    MM
    Last edited by MilkyMama; 02-13-2008 at 11:37 PM.
    *sigh*



    Breastfeeding Success Essentials:
    SUPPORT ~ EDUCATION ~ DETERMINATION

    Beat the "Booby Traps" to Breastfeeding Success!


    ~The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'~

    ~Do or Do Not. There is no try.~
    Yoda

  5. #5
    Senior Member BabyDaisy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    North West London
    Posts
    1,354
    Rep Power
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MilkyMama View Post

    I never bottle fed however I believe most people boil water and then pour that boiling water into their bottles to mix the formula and then wait for the formula to cool down. So therefore the toxins are leached into the bottle at that point. Just because it has cooled down, deos not mean the toxins are no longer present. Am I wrong?

    MM
    I breastfeed, but he does get formula once and a while if needed, and I learned my lesson to never put boiling water in the bottle and then add the formula, it explodes when you shake it!!! I let the water cool down and then mix it together.

    I was talking to a health nurse, and of course the best thing to do is use glass, a pyrex measuring bowl or something to mix it, then transfer to bottles. The media has taken it to the next level, causing everyone to throw out their bottles and buy new. I myself threw out one that was used and will use Advent if needed. But again, its a personal choice. You just have to take the information you are given to decide what you want to do. There are two sides to everything, there always will be..someone telling you its wrong and someone telling you its right, so I myself am confused about it as you are. But I decided you have to draw the line somewhere???

    I also seen that ad on kijiji and I agree with her. There are probably many more chemicals that children breathe in by riding the bus or playing outside. God, I played with cat poo in the sand box and grew up playing in the barn when I was younger and I turned out just fine.

  6. #6
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!
    doulamom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    13,496
    Rep Power
    577

    Default

    It is confusing and overwhelming and I think we do the best we can - whatever we decide.

    But I do have to say that I cannot understand the ubiquitous use of the saying 'and we turned out fine'. Did we? Cancer rates are going up, girls are maturing earlier than ever and we know that we have more toxins in our system than ever before. None of that sounds fine to me. That saying about 'being fine' along with 'well everything causes cancer' are enough to send me over the edge.
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

    Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

    "Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

    "
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process.” -Jan Fortune Wood"

  7. #7
    mumtobelle
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doulamom View Post
    It is confusing and overwhelming and I think we do the best we can - whatever we decide.

    But I do have to say that I cannot understand the ubiquitous use of the saying 'and we turned out fine'. Did we? Cancer rates are going up, girls are maturing earlier than ever and we know that we have more toxins in our system than ever before. None of that sounds fine to me. That saying about 'being fine' along with 'well everything causes cancer' are enough to send me over the edge.
    Well said!

  8. #8
    Expert Forum User
    MilkyMama's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,189
    Rep Power
    289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doulamom View Post
    It is confusing and overwhelming and I think we do the best we can - whatever we decide.

    But I do have to say that I cannot understand the ubiquitous use of the saying 'and we turned out fine'. Did we? Cancer rates are going up, girls are maturing earlier than ever and we know that we have more toxins in our system than ever before. None of that sounds fine to me. That saying about 'being fine' along with 'well everything causes cancer' are enough to send me over the edge.
    Couldn't have said it better myself!

    MM
    *sigh*



    Breastfeeding Success Essentials:
    SUPPORT ~ EDUCATION ~ DETERMINATION

    Beat the "Booby Traps" to Breastfeeding Success!


    ~The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'~

    ~Do or Do Not. There is no try.~
    Yoda

  9. #9
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!
    AuntPetunia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    #4 Privet Drive, Little Whinging, Surrey
    Posts
    28,007
    Rep Power
    2377

    Default

    Totally agree as well, Shawna.

  10. #10
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!
    lhastie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Back in Ontario!!
    Posts
    12,511
    Rep Power
    564

    Default

    This is confusing and I think everyone does need to make their own decisions after looking at all the data....

    Oh, a comment about cancer overtaking heart disease, that is primarily because we're improving in dealing with heart disease! We're killing less with heart disease which leaves cancer next in line... anyways, I digress

Similar Threads

  1. Confused.. need help or advice
    By CodysMummy in forum General Support/Advice about the Kids!
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-18-2007, 10:19 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •