Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Banned

ph and for the record,

I'm not disagreeing with any of you. It isn't fair and I get that.

I'm still going to send my kids and pay my taxes and be thankful that this time I'm on the lucky end of the government stick.

Expert Forum User

I wish there was a least a little funding for the seperate schools. I went to the private christian highschool and elementary school. My parents made major sacrifices for us to attend....but there is no way I could affort the $10,000+ a year to send my kids.

Expert Forum User

History of religious schools:

The role of religion in Canadian education has been controversial for centuries. The first schools in New France were operated by the church. In the early nineteenth century the colonial governments moved to set up publicly funded education systems. However, soon religious divisions became problematic. At the time religious study was considered an integral part of education, but Protestants and Catholics were deeply divided over how this education should be delivered. In Upper Canada the Catholic minority rejected the Protestant practice of Biblical study in schools, while in Lower Canada the Protestant minority objected to the education system instilling Roman Catholic dogma. Thus in both these areas two schools systems were established, a Catholic and a Protestant. Upon Confederation these schools systems were enshrined in the British North America Act, 1867.

In the three Maritime provinces, schools were mainly Protestant, and a single Protestant oriented school system was established in each of them. In Newfoundland there was not only the Catholic/Protestant split, but also deep divisions between Protestant sects, and nine separate schools systems were set up, one catering to each major denomination. Eventually the major Protestant boards merged into an integrated school system. The three Prairie provinces adopted a system based on Ontario's with a dominant Protestant system, and smaller Catholic ones. In 1891, however Manitoba moved to eliminate the Catholic board, sparking the Manitoba Schools Question. Eventually the Catholic school system in that province was merged with the Protestant one. British Columbia established a non-sectarian school system in 1872.

Over time, the originally Protestant school boards of English Canada, known as the public schools, became increasingly secularized as Canadians came to believe in the separation of Church and state, and the main boards became secular ones. In Ontario all overt religiosity was removed from the public school system in 1990. In two provinces the sectarian education systems have recently been eliminated through constitutional change. Newfoundland and Labrador eliminated its tri-denominational Catholic-Protestant-Pentecostal system after two referendums. In Quebec the Catholic/Protestant divide was replaced with a French language/English language one.

The above from:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Canada
    Last edited by ProudMommy; 07-03-2011 at 09:14 AM.
    THANK YOU TO EVERYONE-WE WON! -BIG LM'S HUGS!!!
    ----------------------------------------------------

Please forgive me, I know that I can not spell

Treasure your loved ones, in a blink of an eye they can be gone and there is no second chance to show them how much you loved them.

Zoo
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I'd be really interested to hear one good argument against removing government funding. The latest BS about gay-straight alliances is the last straw for me. Nothing against anyone whose kids are in the system, I would totally send my kids to free school if it fit with my beliefs (well I guess I kind of have that but let's pretend lol) and mr zoo is catholic so I'm not being a total bigot here.

It's just common sense isn't it? I can't imagine a single argument to justify this exclusionary system.

Expert Forum User

I am not going to pretend that I know a lot about history, but were Catholics one of the first settlers?

Treasure your loved ones, in a blink of an eye they can be gone and there is no second chance to show them how much you loved them.

Expert Forum User

SOHO and Somewhere between here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by ProudMommy View Post
    I am not going to pretend that I know a lot about history, but were Catholics one of the first settlers?
    I'm not a history expert neither, but I would say Catholic and Protestants were the main if not the only settlers in the very beginning......but someone can correct us (ofcourse not including any vikings that came before them).
    Last edited by Entreaquiyahi; 07-03-2011 at 01:36 PM.

Expert Forum User

I just don't really see how who was here first 400 years ago matters in regards to tax payer funded schooling in this century.

Expert Forum User

I thought these were interesting (if you have time), Human Rights Committee filed against Canada/Ontario over the Cathohlic Board being descrimitory, or not paying for other religious education:

Waldman v. Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and

Adler v. Ontario - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It looks like the HRC is trying to get them to change.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle View Post
    I just don't really see how who was here first 400 years ago matters in regards to tax payer funded schooling in this century.

It explains why its there in the first place. And it usually takes awhile to change things, unfortunately.

Also, FWIW, all tax payers funding goes to Public funding first (before Catholic or French First), unless the tax payer changes it on their form. If they do not, it will automatically go to Public.
    Last edited by Entreaquiyahi; 07-03-2011 at 01:58 PM.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle View Post
    Respectfuly, it is our history though, that is why it was put in place no?

It is the same thing for aboriginal people, they have different tax benefits for reasons as well?

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by ProudMommy View Post
    Respectfuly, it is our history though, that is why it was put in place no?

It is the same thing for aboriginal people, they have different tax benefits for reasons as well?
    I get it as a reason to explain why it is like that. But it is not a justification for its continuation given current human rights nad equality standards.

And really.... lets not involve aboriginal issues, because that just adds more justification for further separation of church and state.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234