Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by mommy26 View Post
    it says here you just need to be a “Children and youth of Catholic school ratepayers“ to be eligible.
    Information London - London District Catholic School Board

anyone here pay more taxes for catholic school?

i find it kind of exculsionary about picking and choosing what kids are allowed in what school. especially since it sounds like the catholic school is mostly publicly funded (from what i gather)
    You pick if your taxes go to public or catholic. That isn't a big deal.

The exclusionary part is the BIG problem here.

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle View Post
    It isn't just unfair, it is a misappropriation of public funds. Schools that recieve public funding should not have the right to deny entrance to students based on religion (or race, or sexual orientation, or any of that). It is high time all those catholic schools became truly public schools or stopped getting public funding. /rant.
    Exactly, equal access or no public funding, period. It is insane that it is still setup, just hard to dismantle so they can't be bothered.

Quote Originally Posted by mommy26 View Post
    thanks ladies. i guess we arent eligible and i dont want to jump through loops to send ds to a school where he isnt welcome in the first place.
    Yeah, always a good point... Sorry it isn't an option for you.

I agree that it makes no sense that Catholic schools receive funding and more importantly that it is exclusionary. It should be stopped but my guess is that it would be difficult politically.
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

Expert Forum User

SOHO and Somewhere between here and there.

I'm assuming the reason behind the funding has to do with population.

For example, Catholic schools were not always funded and parents had to pay for those too (my father's generation atleast).
    Even when Catholic schools were not govt. funded, my father said the public school he went to (his family could not afford to send 12 kids to Catholic school), had a bible in the classroom and said prayers together........which I guess was ok back then, because the majority of immigrants were Catholic/Christian.

Perhaps we will one day see funding for the Jewish and Muslim faiths, I believe they currently request it.........but maybe there is not enough in the student population?

Sad as it is, the govt. probably has to fund where the demand is. Otherwise how would they fund schooling for every type of faith, as there are many more than mentioned above and then denominations of each, I'm sure.

That's for the government funding part. The part where they will not allow a parent to send their child to a Catholic school unless they are baptized Catholic is unfair. Many forms of Christian faith are extremely similar to the Catholic one, so I don't know why even these faiths are not allowed to go.

Does anyone think that perhaps the Catholic system is afraid that once “non-Catholic“ students attend, their parents will be requesting that their students withdrawl from Reglious classes/masses? That the bible be taken out of the classroom, etc, just as it was in the public system? I have no idea (just throwing it out there).

And why in some areas in Canada........you can attend no problem without being baptized.........whereas in London, its an absolute no.

Expert Forum User

SOHO and Somewhere between here and there.

I don't know how factual this is, but I thought it was interesting.

Faith school - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Up till 1997 the UK only funded Christian or Jewish faith schools (Muslim schools existed but were privately funded), but the Labour Government 1997-2007 expanded this to other religions, and began using the term “faith school“.[4]"

It's not just in Canada, but in other "historically based Christian countries"....................and perhaps with more and more immigration we may see funding for other faiths too.
    Last edited by Entreaquiyahi; 07-02-2011 at 05:57 PM.

Expert Forum User

Don't misunderstand me. I would love for the tax funding equation to equal all faith based schools. I would love to have people show their support and therefore their property tax monies to go to the schools that fit their families. I think that may be easier to attain then scrapping the program all together. But then where do you draw the line and what level of government maintains that amount of paperwork. Totally off topic, I know. Just wondering.

And why in some areas in Canada........you can attend no problem without being baptized.........whereas in London, its an absolute no.
    i pondered this yesterday, and i figure there's not enough catholic students in some areas to sustain a catholic school. so they chose to allow non-catholics to attend, rather than shutting down the whole school. so it's probably done out of necessity.

Expert Forum User

I can't remember the pc/conservative leader who actually wanted all schools publicly funded. He lost the election for that reason.
    Proud mom of 3 wonderful children

Expert Forum User

John Tory ran on this issue in 07 and was ravaged because no one wanted public funds to go to faith based education. IMO any school that gets any public money should be open to any child. It is ridiculous that some kids that live across from a catholic school have to be bussed 4kms to a public school just because they don't bow to the pope.

Expert Forum User

Thank you Danielle. I knew you would know the answer
    Proud mom of 3 wonderful children

Banned

My kids attend the Catholic board, well 4 of them do, 1 is in the public board,

I sent my kids to Catholic school because that is the religion we practice and having it taught in the daily school schedule is great as far as I'm concerned. Our tax dollars go the the Catholic school system, or at least that is what I sign for each year.

In high school you don't need to be Catholic to attend, but you must take and get all 4 religion credits to graduate.

Why would you want to send your child to a school that preaches the Catholic religion ( and gives scholastic credit for learning it) if you don't?

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Tan5kids View Post
    My kids attend the Catholic board, well 4 of them do, 1 is in the public board,

I sent my kids to Catholic school because that is the religion we practice and having it taught in the daily school schedule is great as far as I'm concerned. Our tax dollars go the the Catholic school system, or at least that is what I sign for each year.
    The problem I see is then that your tax dollars are going to the Catholic system and now you have a child in the public system where your tax dollars aren't going. I know lots of people who send their children to Catholic schools for elementary schools and then to a public school for high school since the Catholic high schools are often farther away and while doing that, they have some of their children in the public high school while their tax dollars are going to the Catholic school. Not exactly fair at all.

Why would you want to send your child to a school that preaches the Catholic religion ( and gives scholastic credit for learning it) if you don't?
    I know many people who are Christian who would be interested in their child receiving a Christian based education especially in the early elementary and it is insane that the Roman Catholics have this option as a publicly funded option, yet the rest can't take advantage of that so private is the only option.

i want to send ds to a good french immersion school that is convenient for him to go to, and if he learns about religion at the same time, im ok with that too. why should he have to bus 6km to another french immersion school when there's a perfectly good FI school close by that has been funded by our tax dollars??

Expert Forum User

Part of the reason that Catholic Schools are able to accept only Catholic students goes back to the history of it.
    Catholic Schools in Ontario at one point were fully or partly funded by the church. This changed in recent history, when government wanted to be able to approve curriculum. Because of this, part of the deal was that they had to assume funding.
    Should public funding disappear, I believe the church would go back to funding the schools.

Expert Forum User

from wikipedia
    Ontario

School boards funded by the province consist of 29 English Catholic and 8 French Catholic boards, as well as 35 non-denominational public school boards (31 English public, 4 French public). There is (also?[clarification needed]) one Protestant separate school jurisdiction in Ontario, the Burkevale Protestant Separate School, operated by the Penetanguishene Protestant Separate School Board. In Ontario, this determination was largely made throughout the province by the time of Confederation.
    The public school system in the province was historically Protestant but was gradually transformed into a secular public system. Prayer in public schools was discontinued in the early 1980s.
    Since the 19th century, funding for the Roman Catholic separate school system was provided up to Grade 10 under the British North America (BNA) Act. In 1984 the government of Premier William Davis extended full funding to include the last three (Grades 1113 (OAC)) years of Roman Catholic secondary schools after having rejected that proposal fifteen years earlier. The first funded academic year occurred in 198586, as grade 11, and one grade was added in each of the next two years.
    The right to have a publicly-funded separate denominational school system continues to be guaranteed by Section 93 of the 1982 Constitution Act to Roman Catholics in Ontario.[1]
    A province-wide newspaper survey conducted between 1997 and 1999 in 45 dailies indicated that 79% of 7551 respondents in Ontario favoured a single public school system, but no widely supported movement to amend the Constitution Act, 1867 has developed.
    The issue later came up in the Ontario general election, 2007; however no changes to the law have been made as of May 2011.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lhastie View Post
    The problem I see is then that your tax dollars are going to the Catholic system and now you have a child in the public system where your tax dollars aren't going. I know lots of people who send their children to Catholic schools for elementary schools and then to a public school for high school since the Catholic high schools are often farther away and while doing that, they have some of their children in the public high school while their tax dollars are going to the Catholic school. Not exactly fair at all.

I know many people who are Christian who would be interested in their child receiving a Christian based education especially in the early elementary and it is insane that the Roman Catholics have this option as a publicly funded option, yet the rest can't take advantage of that so private is the only option.
    I have a child in the elementary public system yes, I would prefer him to be in the catholic system , we have to pay to have him take his sacraments, not a lot but a fee.

I think anyone who wants their child to be taught the catholic religion should be able to attend. I don't agree with kids being excluded by I can understand kinda?

I should mention, I am not catholic and have no intention on becoming catholic, but if I had to so my kids could attend a catholic school I would.

If I knew how to divide my taxes I would.

The only school that had the special education class that my DS needs is a public school, I am very grateful for that .

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast