Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Administrator Site Admin

All London schools require proof of religion for the child and at least one parent in order to attend catholic schools. Some other cities are different
    Leslie

Expert Forum User

SOHO and Somewhere between here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
    All London schools require proof of religion for the child and at least one parent in order to attend catholic schools. Some other cities are different
    This is what I've heard too. I think its unfair. If you were living in Edmonton, Alta. for example you could go.

I have a friend who has her children in Catholic school, neither of the kids are baptized yet (but perhaps because she and her husband are, and they have plans to do it, they were allowed, who knows).

it says here you just need to be a “Children and youth of Catholic school ratepayers“ to be eligible.
    Information London - London District Catholic School Board

anyone here pay more taxes for catholic school?

i find it kind of exculsionary about picking and choosing what kids are allowed in what school. especially since it sounds like the catholic school is mostly publicly funded (from what i gather)

i updated the title of this thread, instead of starting a new one

Expert Forum User

Lila'smum had to jump through hoops last year to get her kids into the local catholic school and that is with one parent catholic I believe. You should message her.
    Proud mom of 3 wonderful children

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Entreaquiyahi View Post
    This is what I've heard too. I think its unfair. If you were living in Edmonton, Alta. for example you could go.
    It isn't just unfair, it is a misappropriation of public funds. Schools that recieve public funding should not have the right to deny entrance to students based on religion (or race, or sexual orientation, or any of that). It is high time all those catholic schools became truly public schools or stopped getting public funding. /rant.
    Last edited by WateryTart; 07-01-2011 at 06:27 PM.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

i find it kind of exculsionary about picking and choosing what kids are allowed in what school. especially since it sounds like the catholic school is mostly publicly funded (from what i gather)
    I know that once upon a time I had to check a box on something saying if we wanted our school tax dollars sent to public of catholic.........I can't remember where or when I had to do that.
    "Anything is better than lies and deceit". Leo Tolstoy

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by laurensmom View Post
    I know that once upon a time I had to check a box on something saying if we wanted our school tax dollars sent to public of catholic.........I can't remember where or when I had to do that.
    First of the year. And every time I added a kid, I had to sign a new form. Every school required it. Dh and I are both baptized catholic and were informed that the children will have to be baptized in a catholic type faith before their first conciliation due to the lessons being taught in class. That wasn't a problem anyhow but they thought it would be good to inform us. This is also going back a few years now.
    The catholic board isn't only getting some money from the governments. A lot of the money funnels through the ratepayers via that tax form and the local churches and the dioceses themselves. I'm not saying it's exclusively supported through those means, but I am saying that's the majority of it. I don't have the hard numbers in front of me to confirm that though.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by laurensmom View Post
    On you taxes you allocate which board you want your taxes to go to. If you do not check the “little box“ for Catholic, then your taxes automatically go to the public board.

In the Catholic school system they teach the Catholic religion, that is why people send their children to Catholic school.

And yes you have to produce a Baptismal certificate for your child to go to a Catholic school.
    THANK YOU TO EVERYONE-WE WON! -BIG LM'S HUGS!!!
    ----------------------------------------------------

Please forgive me, I know that I can not spell
    ----------------------------------------------------

Treasure your loved ones, in a blink of an eye they can be gone and there is no second chance to show them how much you loved them.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by SweetyPi View Post
    First of the year. And every time I added a kid, I had to sign a new form. Every school required it. Dh and I are both baptized catholic and were informed that the children will have to be baptized in a catholic type faith before their first conciliation due to the lessons being taught in class. That wasn't a problem anyhow but they thought it would be good to inform us. This is also going back a few years now.
    The catholic board isn't only getting some money from the governments. A lot of the money funnels through the ratepayers via that tax form and the local churches and the dioceses themselves. I'm not saying it's exclusively supported through those means, but I am saying that's the majority of it. I don't have the hard numbers in front of me to confirm that though.
    The catholic school board is 100% funded by tax dollars. They are given the same amount per child as the public schools. Anything given by the catholic church is a above and beyond this.

Jewish schools, muslim schools, other forms of christianity get ZERO funding, and rightly so. No one other than catholics can just decide to remove funds from the public system and allocate them to another.

thanks ladies. i guess we arent eligible and i dont want to jump through loops to send ds to a school where he isnt welcome in the first place.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by mommy26 View Post
    thanks ladies. i guess we arent eligible and i dont want to jump through loops to send ds to a school where he isnt welcome in the first place.
    It's not that he's not welcome. Please don't think that. But there are religious teachings that are involved and the church is highly involved in the daily class lessons. I think maybe talking to a school first will give you a better idea on where you stand.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle View Post
    It isn't just unfair, it is a misappropriation of public funds. Schools that recieve public funding should not have the right to deny entrance to students based on religion (or race, or sexual orientation, or any of that). It is high time all those catholic schools became truly public schools or stopped getting public funding. /rant.
    ITA... I don't understand this at all.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Kari2217 View Post
    ITA... I don't understand this at all.
    Yeah, even the UN thinks that funding only catholic schools and no others is wrong. Hopefully they can all be defunded or turned into public schools within the next decade.

It's not that he's not welcome. Please don't think that. But there are religious teachings that are involved and the church is highly involved in the daily class lessons. I think maybe talking to a school first will give you a better idea on where you stand.
    but why arent we given a choice to what school he goes to?
    i just want equal opportunity for my son.

slightly ot: do catholics go out and do missionary work in other countries? (to tryto teach others about their faith), then why are they closing doors here?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast