Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question catholic school french immersion for non-catholics

according to this, JK for french immersion does not exist: Parents

is this correct? are the kids suppose to attend a regular school for JK?

and if the school isnt full time kindergarten, does this mean it's half-day or every other day??? and does the bus take them home at noon if it is half-day?

please enlighten me
    Last edited by mommy26; 07-01-2011 at 05:50 PM.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

FI doesn't offer JK you have the option of putting your child in another school for JK or keeping them out until SK.
    Last edited by one ordinary girl; 06-30-2011 at 06:21 PM.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Expert Forum User

Mine attended regular english public school and switched to FI for SK..they didn't have any issues with that.

Expert Forum User

I'm not sure if any FI schools offer JK, I know ours didn't. I just put our girls in our community school for JK and then switched, I know a few Moms who have just skipped JK and started FI in SK.

Bussing and lunch options are up to the school, it will depend on which school you enroll your child in. Ours was half day every day for DD1 and is now all day every other day for DD2, but since it was a community school everyone walked so there were no busses.

Expert Forum User

We had DS1 go straight to SK for FI and with DS2 - he just finished JK in another school and will be joining his bro at the FI next year. No issues so far.

I cant answer the rest of your question though - sorry.
    “A mother's love is patient and forgiving when all others are forsaking,
    it never fails or falters, even though the heart is breaking”- Helen Rice

Expert Forum User

SOHO and Somewhere between here and there.

The Catholic Board offers JK in FI (not sure that's an option for you?).........but then you'd have to switch in SK if you preferred the public board any way....or keep LO there.

Just incase you'd consider the Catholic Board FI - there are only 2 schools, so it would depend what area of London you live in (most go to St. John's, which is where DS just finished JK). They go every other day, all day........and the majority of the school is bussed in.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Entreaquiyahi View Post
    The Catholic Board offers JK in FI (not sure that's an option for you?).........but then you'd have to switch in SK if you preferred the public board any way....or keep LO there.

Just incase you'd consider the Catholic Board FI - there are only 2 schools, so it would depend what area of London you live in (most go to St. John's, which is where DS just finished JK). They go every other day, all day........and the majority of the school is bussed in.
    This. We had DS enrolled at St.John's for JK but he ended up passing the entrance test for French First Language so we are sending him there instead.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

oh and if the school is 1/2 days there would be no bus at lunch. You'd be responsible for getting your child.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I put my youngest DS in the school closest to our house this past year for JK, as they don't offer FI in JK in the public schools in London. I am sending him to oldest DS's school in the fall for FI SK however & he will be bussed. My SIL who lives in Palmerston, ON was able to enroll all of her kids in FI starting in Jk (pub;ic system) so it does depend where in Ontario the kids are attending school as to whether or not that particular school board offers FI starting in JK. London is one city which currently doesn't.

thanks ladies. the closest french immersion school for us is the one in whiteoaks (st. anthony's). it sounds like they do offer jk.

at first i was keen on sending ds to a catholic school (not catholic), but now we are considering it. thoughts???

also, does anyone know if st. anthony is half day or every other day?

at first i was keen on sending ds to a catholic school (not catholic), but now we are considering it. thoughts???
    They will have some criteria for enrollment. Is your DH catholic? Our local Catholic school here will enroll if one parent can PROVE they are a baptized catholic. I was told we would need a copy of the Baptismal Cert as proof at enrollment.
    "Anything is better than lies and deceit". Leo Tolstoy

They will have some criteria for enrollment. Is your DH catholic? Our local Catholic school here will enroll if one parent can PROVE they are a baptized catholic. I was told we would need a copy of the Baptismal Cert as proof at enrollment
    neither of us is catholic :S

Expert Forum User

I'm not sure but have heard before that if you are baptized any christian religion then you can go to the catholic school. My family is anglican and I was told that we would qualify because they are close in many regards (just without the pope) - also that I could qualify to teach for the board with a reference from my reverand if I took Religion Part 1 once accepted.
    Although this was word-of-mouth and not directly from the board.

Our local Catholic school here will enroll if one parent can PROVE they are a baptized catholic. I was told we would need a copy of the Baptismal Cert as proof at enrollment.
    This was directly from the school principal here. I think if you call, you could probably get clarification on there requirements. That way, at least you can rule it out or in as an option.
    "Anything is better than lies and deceit". Leo Tolstoy

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast