Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Would you pursue more education if

it wasn't necessary? Not needed for your current job, and likely not going to get a job in that field that the courses are in.

Said education is not free.

Would you? Or is paid education and the credentials that come with it (like a nice piece of paper on the wall, or letters after your name) only important if it's for something? Like a job.
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I would do it *instead of* but not in addition to a job.
    LondonMoms has really gone downhill, ever since they started chit chatting in the home and garden forum. There is a place for chit chat, people!!!

I would do it. I think education is about way more then a job.
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process.” -Jan Fortune Wood"

Expert Forum User

I'll say yes. I'd love to just keep going to UWO and learning until I no longer find it interesting... regardless of whether it leads to another degree. I could care less if I had to pay for it or not. I just love learning new things and can't picture my learning adventures to be over.
    Married 2005. DD1 2007. DD2 2011. Beta Sigma Phi 2013.
    ... and one cute little kitty!

I do it all the time.

I am at the top of the pay grid in my job as far as education influences it. In theory, further education can move you up the grid, but I can't advance further based on education. I take an additional qualification course, strictly to further my knowledge in a subject....at my own expense, at least once/year.

I feel like continuing to learn makes me better at my job.....
    "Anything is better than lies and deceit". Leo Tolstoy

Quote Originally Posted by myrrah View Post
    I would do it *instead of* but not in addition to a job.
    Why? A ft job and pt education. Nothing over the top but say 1 class at a time.
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

Expert Forum User

I would and I am doing it right now. I don't have to upgrade my degree but I want to so that I have the options open to me in the future if I decide I want them.

Expert Forum User

Assuming it is something that is of interest to me, definatly. Learning is sort of a hobby, but in a different way then say hockey or knitting.

I would only do that if I had lots of money. I cant afford to do it otherwise. I sometimes think it would be cool to pop over to Western and sit in on a lecture. But I dont cause I'd have to pay parking and gas and a sitter and the money adds up and at the end of the lecture I am not better off on paper than I was before I went in.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by doulamom View Post
    I would do it. I think education is about way more then a job.
    Yep, this.
    "Show me your horse and I will tell you who you are." -- Old English Saying

I would if I had more disposable income. I don't believe that education is ever a waste and feel that you learn much more when you choose to study something simply because you enjoy it than you do if you are choosing to study it for a potential extrinsic reward.
    Momma of 4
    Little man - April 2009
    Little charmer - December 2010
    Little monkey - October 2012
    Sweet baby girl - October 2014

I've tossed that idea around a few times over the years but haven't ever persude it. If I ever decide where my future is going to lie it may be an option for me again.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Mamarazzi View Post
    I would only do that if I had lots of money. I cant afford to do it otherwise. I sometimes think it would be cool to pop over to Western and sit in on a lecture. But I dont cause I'd have to pay parking and gas and a sitter and the money adds up and at the end of the lecture I am not better off on paper than I was before I went in.
    Come with me on a night your DH can watch the kids, that solves the babysitter and parking dilemma

I have a few weeks to decide if I want to start a program. I finished UWO in 2004 and was constantly doing other work related courses until 2 years ago.

Feeling the itch to do another. It does relate to my job, but wouldn't earn me any extra $. It would make me more employable in other areas if I ever wanted a different job. But I would probably have to move to Toronto for that, not happening. So it would be “just for fun“. Would cost about 3K over 3 years. So not expensive IMO.

Hmmmmmm...

I would, when I have the time and money so it wasn't creating stress which would take away from my enjoyment of it. So for me, it would be later in life, when my kids are teens and not worried that I'm not home that night, or I'm not worrying about how they are while someone else has them in their care. And when we're more financially secure.
    DH doesn't care if I ever go back to work. I intend to go back to college to obtain a job, and then later, when the kids are teens or move out, to go to university just for fun. Maybe not get a degree, but go back for some of the kinds of classes I enjoyed, even just to have the experience without the stress of marks mattering.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast