Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone HSing and using the Waldorf school?

I was reading about this option today -- apparently, home schoolers can have their kids attend Waldorf one day a week. I must admit, I've been toying with the idea of homeschooling, but my daughter is in JK right now, and the social aspects have been wonderful for her. She used to be such a shy kid, but she's really come out of her shell.

I'd love to know how the hsing/Waldorf school thing works, if anyone has used it.

Thanks!
    Stacey, Mommy to Alida & Ronan

Hmmm...I am interested in this thread. I plan to HS my kids starting in September so I will be watching this thread.

Stacey, as a side. My son was also very shy when he started JK. It 'forced' him to open up but I have to say , 4 yrs down the line and now in grade 2 I think it has been detrimental to him. He hates school and the forced interaction. Even though it appears he is coming out of his shell it is all just to please teachers and meet expectations.

Your situation might be different but I wanted to share what I also 'thought' that I saw happening to my son when he 'opened up'. He has basically just become a robot to the system and follows along so as not to upset the dynamic. Not what I want for him at all. I can not wait to start to HS and watch him explore what he wants to learn.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I have heard it's very expensive - I don't know the price off hand, I know there are moms on here who have looked into it (Kathy? Siana? others?) and the price is a big deterrent.

Have you considered doing homeschooling and registering the child in other organized activities such as gymnastics, reading clubs, or swimming? That might help with some of the social issues if you're concerned about that aspect.
    The poster formerly known as Geomamma

Also as far as the social aspect there is a couple different HS groups in the area, I think there is two days a week HS groups get together at the childrens museum. I am going to start at some point regularly taking my kids to that, my oldest is 3 now, so I think at this point, I might wait till the fall, though I have joined the one HS group on a tour of the police station recently which my DD LOVED. I agree with PP, about gymnastics and that, we have DD in gymnastics and then soccer this fall, I want to have her in alot of different things.

mumtobelle

My brother's ex had a daughter that attended the Waldorf school. I think it gets cheaper once the children reach the senior grades but it cost her in the 1000's yearly to send her there. If memory serves it was either $500 or $800 monthly (I know big difference but those two amounts stand out in my head). Once she hit the senior grades there was a marked decrease in tuition. Not that the price of your children's education should be a deterrent if that's what you want to do but there's no way we could afford to send our kids to the Waldorf School. My husband would have to work a second job.

The option for hsing parents is a lot cheaper than the full tuition - it is prorated to one day a week. My dd is not old enough yet for it but it is something I am considering in the future if she is interested. I worked it out and it is pretty much the same we spent sending her to preschool. Also, the school does have an option for parents who can't afford the full tuition and I have heard that they are actually pretty great about coming up with an amount that works for everyone.

I haven't look into it fully, other than my own research on the web and asking Siana. If it looks like something we may do once she is 6 I will research it further.

As far as the socialization aspect goes, I agree with pp that there are lots of ways to get involved in the hsing community. Good luck on your journey.
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

Expert Forum User

I do have info on it... let me see if I can find it... we have toured many private schools here and public and my DD will be homeschooled next year hands down. We are going to be joining some HS groups so we can get more involved with the activities and such come September. She wont' be 4 until April but we have started homeschooling at the beginning of February.
    ~ Annie ~
    Mom to 4 (B24, G23, G19, G9)

My Blog: It's just my life...
    Follow me on Twitter: @anniecannie

Quote Originally Posted by daycaremommy View Post
    Hmmm...I am interested in this thread. I plan to HS my kids starting in September so I will be watching this thread.

Stacey, as a side. My son was also very shy when he started JK. It 'forced' him to open up but I have to say , 4 yrs down the line and now in grade 2 I think it has been detrimental to him. He hates school and the forced interaction. Even though it appears he is coming out of his shell it is all just to please teachers and meet expectations.

Your situation might be different but I wanted to share what I also 'thought' that I saw happening to my son when he 'opened up'. He has basically just become a robot to the system and follows along so as not to upset the dynamic. Not what I want for him at all. I can not wait to start to HS and watch him explore what he wants to learn.
    This is EXACTLY what I'm afraid of!!! I thought perhaps I was being overprotective or just worrying, but I'm glad you said that this can happen. I really am so torn about homeschooling. I really want to try, but don't want to take Ali out of school if it is good for her socially. OTOH, I don't want to create worse problems later on. Kwim?

I am very interested in Waldorf and would love to get her in there at least one day a week.

Who knew that this parenting stuff would be filled with so much worry and wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by Geomamma View Post
    I have heard it's very expensive - I don't know the price off hand, I know there are moms on here who have looked into it (Kathy? Siana? others?) and the price is a big deterrent.

Have you considered doing homeschooling and registering the child in other organized activities such as gymnastics, reading clubs, or swimming? That might help with some of the social issues if you're concerned about that aspect.
    The social stuff is pretty much all I'm worried about to be honest. Ali was/is such a clingy, sensitive child and it appears as though JK has been helping with that. I'm worried about taking her out of the class she knows because she has made some great friends, but I'm also concerned about her being in a classroom setting.

(Can you tell I'm a bit of a worrier? LOL!)

If I do decide to hs, I'll definitely be putting her into some social/physical activities. But, from what I've read, the Waldorf school for hsers isn't all that expensive. (Maybe about $100 a month, or so???) I'm not sure it would be worth it though? I just don't know! Ack! P

Oh, I'm just so torn!

Quote Originally Posted by my2babies View Post
    Also as far as the social aspect there is a couple different HS groups in the area, I think there is two days a week HS groups get together at the childrens museum. I am going to start at some point regularly taking my kids to that, my oldest is 3 now, so I think at this point, I might wait till the fall, though I have joined the one HS group on a tour of the police station recently which my DD LOVED. I agree with PP, about gymnastics and that, we have DD in gymnastics and then soccer this fall, I want to have her in alot of different things.
    I absolutely agree about getting my DD into different activities as well. I think it's so good for the kids to get their feet wet doing different things so they can decide what they like as they get older. I also love the idea of getting into the HSing Groups. I just don't know if I'm disciplined enough to HS. And if Ali's doing well in school, do I take her out? She says she would rather have school at home, but I'm not sure I'd do a good job. And then I wonder about my career -- will I ever make it back to the workforce if I start HSing the kids?

Sometimes I really wish that there were clear cut right or wrong answers. Kwim?

Quote Originally Posted by doulamom View Post
    The option for hsing parents is a lot cheaper than the full tuition - it is prorated to one day a week. My dd is not old enough yet for it but it is something I am considering in the future if she is interested. I worked it out and it is pretty much the same we spent sending her to preschool. Also, the school does have an option for parents who can't afford the full tuition and I have heard that they are actually pretty great about coming up with an amount that works for everyone.

I haven't look into it fully, other than my own research on the web and asking Siana. If it looks like something we may do once she is 6 I will research it further.

As far as the socialization aspect goes, I agree with pp that there are lots of ways to get involved in the hsing community. Good luck on your journey.
    My DD is only 4, so she's not old enough for it yet, but I'm sort of where you are... just wondering about whether it would be right for us. I love the idea of Waldorf, and the idea of HSing, but I just don't know if I'd be good enough at it. And if it really would be right for Ali. I mean, sometimes I wonder if I'm trying to push my biases about school on her.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    I do have info on it... let me see if I can find it... we have toured many private schools here and public and my DD will be homeschooled next year hands down. We are going to be joining some HS groups so we can get more involved with the activities and such come September. She wont' be 4 until April but we have started homeschooling at the beginning of February.
    Just out of curiosity then, was there something about Waldorf that you didn't like? Was it just the expense?

I think the program can be helpful to some HS families. Here is a PDF from the London Waldorf School on the "Waldorf enrichment programme for homeschooling families": http://www.londonwaldorf.ca/site/Lon...e%20School.pdf

I would recommend looking throughly in to the school's (Rudolf Steiner's) philosophy, the ways the various teachers deliver Steiner's messages, the demographic that attend the school etc.. From the outside it was extremely attractive to me, but we found the school wasn't a good fit for us.

We're HS too. I think DD and DS aren't shy per se, but they are reluctant to interact with new people. I think it's a good protective mechanism and I'm quite sure that as they get more experienced, and are able to better articulate their thoughts, they'll naturally blossom into being more social.
    Mama to two
    Etsy store: Merry Medley

Quote Originally Posted by AliRonanMama View Post
    I absolutely agree about getting my DD into different activities as well. I think it's so good for the kids to get their feet wet doing different things so they can decide what they like as they get older. I also love the idea of getting into the HSing Groups. I just don't know if I'm disciplined enough to HS. And if Ali's doing well in school, do I take her out? She says she would rather have school at home, but I'm not sure I'd do a good job. And then I wonder about my career -- will I ever make it back to the workforce if I start HSing the kids?

Sometimes I really wish that there were clear cut right or wrong answers. Kwim?
    Hi,
    I just wanted to speak to your question about whether or not your are disciplined enough to hs? I am fairly new to this journey as I withdrew my dd from JK in November and did some major soul searching to make that decision. I kept wondering can I do this? Making the decision was one of the biggest decisions I have made.Talking to other hsing families made me realize that it doesn't really take anything 'special' and that up until I sent her to Jk and even then, I was essentially hsing. I am not very disciplined but I have found that I don't need to be - we take things as they come and we spend our days learning in all sorts of ways. Reading, puzzles, baking, playing outside - basically everything we do is learning although we rarely if ever sit down at a table and 'do work'. It is so much fun and we are all connected again in such a fundamental way.

As far as the results go, my dd is happier, my family is happier and just last week she started to read. I was amazed because I didn't formally 'teach' her to read but we just naturally did a lot of reading stuff together. It was incredible to be there for that moment and to be reminded that her learning is chugging along - at her pace, which for reading is 'early' and will probably be later for other things. There was no discipline to read - we just did it when we wanted to and because she was motivated to learn to read we talked about the sounds of letters (phonetics). That was it and now she is reading.

I wanted to share my experience as I know how hard it can be to make this decision. My own experience is that at least once a day my dh and I marvel at the wisdom of the choice we made and how happy we are with how it is working for our family. I have no regrets and yet prior to making the decision I was very apprehensive. Good luck with whatever you decide and I am sure that no matter what it is that it will be the right decision for you family.

If you do find out more information on the Waldorf option please share as I would love to know more.
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

Shawna, that's a beautiful story and I am glad that you got to be there to experience it.

I hope Kathy chimes in here too, she convinced me of HSing! Now, whether I have the guts to do it is another story.
    The poster formerly known as Geomamma

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast