Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Expert Forum User

Why not try asking her what it is about school that she finds so appealing? Then try to meet those desires and provide her with versions of those things outside of school.

When my DS1 went through this (in the fall of his “grade 1“-aged year), I ended up asking him that (Why do you want to go to school? What is it about school that you want?): he replied that he wanted to have a classroom like other kids. So I suggested that we make his bedroom into a classroom for him, to which he enthusiastically agreed. A chalk board, a bulletin board (ie, a cork board decorated with construction paper, bulletin board edgers, and lettering from Scholar's Choice), and a sign that he made for his door saying “<Ourlastname> School“, and a couple token workbooks (that he's free to use or not-use as he pleases), and he was happy. (He had already had a desk in there.) After that was set up, he was content and stopped asking to go to school.

It may be as simple as picking up a lunch box and backpack for her, or it may be explicitly including more time with friends, or whatever, but if you ask her and get a better idea of what the appeal of school is for her personally, you'll be better able to hit the mark and satisfy those desires for her, and thus hopefully dispel the perceived-need to go to non-home school, yk?
    Last edited by Ceili; 07-03-2011 at 06:35 PM.
    formerly Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy View Post
    Why not try asking her what it is about school that she finds so appealing? Then try to meet those desires and provide her with versions of those things outside of school.

When my DS1 went through this (in the fall of his “grade 1“-aged year), I ended up asking him that (Why do you want to go to school? What is it about school that you want?): he replied that he wanted to have a classroom like other kids. So I suggested that we make his bedroom into a classroom for him, to which he enthusiastically agreed. A chalk board, a bulletin board (ie, a cork board decorated with construction paper, bulletin board edgers, and lettering from Scholar's Choice), and a sign that he made for his door saying “<Ourlastname> School“, and a couple token workbooks (that he's free to use or not-use as he pleases), and he was happy. (He had already had a desk in there.) After that was set up, he was content and stopped asking to go to school.

It may be as simple as picking up a lunch box and backpack for her, or it may be explicitly including more time with friends, or whatever, but if you ask her and get a better idea of what the appeal of school is for her personally, you'll be better able to hit the mark and satisfy those desires for her, and thus hopefully dispel the perceived-need to go to non-home school, yk?
    I love this idea-thank you so much!

She was at it again this weekend saying she wants to go to school. I tried talking about all the things that we can do if we do homeschooling (i.e. playdates w/ younger friends, park, splashpad, even swimming lessons which is her favorite thing right now). She said she didn't want to do swimming lessons, just go to school.

I think I'll try asking her why next time...not sure she'll have a concrete answer for me, as I think again it's just b/c others have talked about school/and she's heard about it on TV and computer shows.

Mama to TWO little sweetie pies!!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Good luck with the 'why' of it lol dd is four and still doesn't get that question yet, which drives me nuts sometimes.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by flamingogirl View Post
    I think I'll try asking her why next time...not sure she'll have a concrete answer for me, as I think again it's just b/c others have talked about school/and she's heard about it on TV and computer shows.
    Yeah, but she might have some ideas/impressions about what school “is“ or entails, at least. If she can't answer “why“ directly, she may be able to answer some general impressions/fuzzy ideas in response to “what is school like“, etc., to help you narrow down what “school“ means to her. If you can get some clues about her impressions of school, it'll help meet those needs and not waste time/effort grasping less-directedly and trying to recreate aspects of school that aren't personally meaningful to her, yk? For instance, my DS1 didn't care about lunch boxes or pencil cases or such, things that I might have tried to get the “school bug“ satisfied for him and out of his system. Me getting those things would go right over his head and not mean anything to him, because they're things that I associated with school, not things that he associated with school or felt were significant, eh? But I doubt I would have guessed that he wanted a bulletin board or to play math drills on a chalk board in his room if I hadn't asked; it wouldn't have occurred to me that that he might actively want those specific things. Each young child is going to have built up a different foggy-sorta-impression of what “school“ is, from all those sources you mention (TV, books, pop culture, people talking about it, etc.); what “school“ is in one 4 year old's mind will vary from what it is in another one's mind. So the solution to satisfying those desires is going to be child-specific, and involve some discovery.

Good luck! I hope you're able to find ways to satisfy this for her, so that she's more happy and excited about this lovely educational and lifestyle opportunity that you're providing for her.
    Last edited by Ceili; 07-05-2011 at 03:25 PM.
    formerly Kathy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12