Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default The Pinery and Kids or Fanshawe and Kids?

What do you think?

Is there enough to do to keep a 5 year old girl busy?

What would you suggest to do there?

Ok now I changed it, which is better?

Someone just told me that The Pinery has Poison Ivey EVERYHWHERE, is that true?
    Last edited by ProudMommy; 06-26-2011 at 06:34 PM.
    THANK YOU TO EVERYONE-WE WON! -BIG LM'S HUGS!!!
    ----------------------------------------------------

Please forgive me, I know that I can not spell

Treasure your loved ones, in a blink of an eye they can be gone and there is no second chance to show them how much you loved them.

Expert Forum User

We just got back today with a 20 month old. We walked the strip in Grand bend and played on the beach, Did some of the hiking trails in the Pinery. YOu can also rent paddle boats but thought we would wait until DS was bit older. I endlessly saw kids biking around while there, I thought it was great!
    I'm

[/B]

Expert Forum User

We were supposed to go there last weekend with 2 of DH's brothers and their families! We weren't able to go though....but I always thought there was tons to do there!
    "My mind is going a mile an hour."

Expert Forum User

I haven't been to the Pinery, but Dh has and he says it is nice.

We were at Fanshawe last weekend. It is the first time we've camped there and I wasn't pleased really. You aren't supposed to go in the water at the beach, and really the beach is rocks, not sand. The splash pad was nice, but the pool doesn't open until this weekend and the camp park isn't great. There is the nice park in the conservation area, but our guys are too young to bike there, we have to drive to it. We've been to much nicer ones in the area so I don't imagine we'll be back to Fanshawe.
    What about Wildwood (St. Mary's) it is similar to Fanshawe, but better in my opinion.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by sardam View Post
    I haven't been to the Pinery, but Dh has and he says it is nice.

We were at Fanshawe last weekend. It is the first time we've camped there and I wasn't pleased really. You aren't supposed to go in the water at the beach, and really the beach is rocks, not sand. The splash pad was nice, but the pool doesn't open until this weekend and the camp park isn't great. There is the nice park in the conservation area, but our guys are too young to bike there, we have to drive to it. We've been to much nicer ones in the area so I don't imagine we'll be back to Fanshawe.
    What about Wildwood (St. Mary's) it is similar to Fanshawe, but better in my opinion.
    What is Wildwood like?

Treasure your loved ones, in a blink of an eye they can be gone and there is no second chance to show them how much you loved them.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

The pinery and kids are a great mix. So much to do.
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

Expert Forum User

If you haven't booked yet you will have a tough time getting a spot at the Pinery.

"The secret to having it all... Is knowing you already do."

Expert Forum User

Are you looking for places to spend the day or a longer period of time?

Expert Forum User

I first thought of the Pinery, but SuperMom suggested Fanshawe.

It is really DD's first time camping (other than in our back yard). I think one of the reasons I was thinking Fanshawe then was that it is right here, not far to go, or to listen to her complain on the way home (if she does not like it LOL)

I think the big thing is going to be the camping and cooking out doors for her, playing frizbee. I like the Pinery because you can rent canoes there, and the water is cleaner. But I like the idea of the splash pad at Fanshawe.

Pinery is awesome! Fanshawe pretty much sucks. There is a pool, but you can't swim in the lake because of algae. There are lots of hiking tails at the Pinery and the beaches are better than Grand Bend, you can hit up the Pinery flea market on the Sunday and there are paddle boats and organized activities I believe to do to.
    Mommy to three adorable kids!

Expert Forum User

We want to spend just one night in the tent. If we are at Fanshawe and it turns into two, then it is no big deal to come home in the morning.

We have not booked a site yet, but we have not set a date either.

I was just at Fanshawe this weekend with my 11 month old. He was too young for everything really, but my 17 month old niece had a great time in the splash pad, the park, and just generally running around the site. There were a lot of walking paths and such. Lots of kids on bikes. They are advertising renting canoes right now. It's not the best campground, but I'd say it's a safe bet for a trial.

I know this might sound odd.. but if you don't want your first camping trip with her to bad one. . maybe try what dh did.. he set the tent up in the backyard.. they did the whole thing. campfire.. bbq. marshmallows. you name it.. if they needed to come in (from fear) we let them.. use the bathroom. etc.. they loved it.. they built up their camping supplies.. and went camping 2x. once a couple summers ago.. once last year.. that was it.. the boys are just not campers..
    might be worth trying for your DD.. it sucks having to pack up camp at 3am if shes crying because she heard a noise. or something similiar.. ykwim. then if she loves it.. you can expand from there.. its just an idea.
    personally we camped at Fanshawe when I was a kid.. it really is not the same anymore.. dh took them last year. and the only great part was watching the planes going over head.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSunshine View Post
    I know this might sound odd.. but if you don't want your first camping trip with her to bad one. . maybe try what dh did.. he set the tent up in the backyard.. they did the whole thing. campfire.. bbq. marshmallows. you name it.. if they needed to come in (from fear) we let them.. use the bathroom. etc.. they loved it.. they built up their camping supplies.. and went camping 2x. once a couple summers ago.. once last year.. that was it.. the boys are just not campers..
    might be worth trying for your DD.. it sucks having to pack up camp at 3am if shes crying because she heard a noise. or something similiar.. ykwim. then if she loves it.. you can expand from there.. its just an idea.
    personally we camped at Fanshawe when I was a kid.. it really is not the same anymore.. dh took them last year. and the only great part was watching the planes going over head.
    We did the “camp in the backyard“ thingy last year. She liked it and we were going to do it again, but then DH had to go and suggest this LOL.

So now I am kicking the idea around. And there was a little surprise, when I was telling my Mother about it, she up and invited herself...sighing for sure

We go to Fanshawe because my kids are still fairly young. So if we do have a problem or whatever we can pack up & go home in the middle of the night. They seem to have activities at the pavillion in the park for kids each day. And I've heard that you can borrow fishing equipment there. We are planning on going there this summer.
    Last edited by Lindsay'smama; 06-26-2011 at 09:47 PM.
    Sarah, Mommy to Lindsay October 8, 2003, Logan November 23, 2006 & Cohen September 18, 2010

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast