Default Sewing machines - tell me what you know

I have taken up sewing and know basic things about sewing machines. I have been trying a few different projects but find that the machine that I have is limited in it's abilities. For starters it doesn't seem to do well at all with thicker fabric or multiple layers of fabric (chenille, flannel). I don't know if I should be doing something different when trying to sew these things or if it is my machine. I am thinking that I may need to upgrade but want recommendations for machines that do well with thick fabric. Right now I have a Brother LS2129.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Sorry, all I know is they collect a lot of dust when not used... lol

My grandma gave me one... haven't touched it

“life is not measured by the breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away“

Expert Forum User

I know that the price jumps significantly from a Walmart Singer type quality to a quality reliable machine! I am gearing up to buy one that's around $800 and that is the low end of the price spectrum.

What do you need it for? A walking foot attachment may help you with your thicker layers if the problem is they don't run through the feed dogs at the same speed....

Expert Forum User

ps lots of good threads on here from maybe 6 months ago, try a search under sewing.

hth

Some machines have a tension control, it's to be changed depending on the type of fabric being used. There are also different types of neddles for different types of fabrics that you are using, a light cotton uses a different neddle than thick cordouroy. Hope this helps a bit
    Cheryl

Expert Forum User

I have a lever on my machine that controls how hard the presser foot pushes on the material. For thicker fabrics, you need to lessen, for light slippery fabric, you give it more tension.
    You do need to change your needle depending on the fabric you're sewing with, and adjust the stitch length otherwise it skews the material.
    HTHs
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pumpkinery-Creations/220912411314225

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinsmom View Post
    I have a lever on my machine that controls how hard the presser foot pushes on the material. For thicker fabrics, you need to lessen, for light slippery fabric, you give it more tension.
    You do need to change your needle depending on the fabric you're sewing with, and adjust the stitch length otherwise it skews the material.
    HTHs
    This would be helpful if I had something like that on my machine but I don't think that I do. It is a pretty entry level machine I think. If I get a new one I will look for that feature.

My machine doesn't offer a walking foot either...gah I an thinking that I will need to upgrade. I will look into getting a different needle.

Expert Forum User

Make sure you are using a NEW needle, and one appropriate for your project. You need to change the needle more often than you think usually.
    Daisy - Mum to M (July 2005) and T (July 2009)

Expert Forum User

I have an entry level Kenmore from Sears & it works very well. I think it cost me about $500?
    The presser foot lever is under the door where the light is. Unless I'd read the manual, I would have never known it was there.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pumpkinery-Creations/220912411314225

I teach fashion at the high school level and we just bought a few new machines from Joyce's Sewing shop in Wortley and they were fantastic to deal with. We got the Emerald Husquavarna 118 at a very decent price (different for schools). Definitely try it out before you buy it so that you're comfortable with the machine. I know some places also offer free “get to know your machine“ classes. Definitely worth taking if you're not familiar with the machine you're purchasing. Enjoy your new toy