Poll: At what age do you think it's ok to leave your child unattended in the tub?

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default At what age did you start leaving your child alone in the bath?

My son's 2.5, he is NEVER left alone in the bath. Either I sit right in the tub with him, or on the toilet reading a book while he plays, but I am always within arms reach.

A friend of mine was telling me that a friend of hers has little boy around Miles age, I think she said he was 2? and I guess she runs the bath for the child, plops him in, and then leaves until he calls her to wash him up and get him out.. Personally (no offense if there are Momma's on here that do this) I think that's completely unacceptable and that she's basically tempting fate because ANYTHING could happen and that child could suffer an injury or worse. Needless to say, I advised my friend to call CAS because I personally don't know this other woman and didn't ask for names, could have even been a news story? I don't know I was just floored..

After hearing about this, I began to wonder at what age others feel it's appropriate to leave their child(ren) unattended in the bath??

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Well where does she go though? like maybe she's going one room over to fold laundry and is keeping her ears open you know?

I leave my 4 and 6 year old in there but I stay on the same floor and do laundry and that and keep my ears open to them.

I'd never not listen but my two are so loud in there and I am always close by.
    Last edited by my2babies; 06-21-2011 at 04:55 PM.

Expert Forum User

My oldest is 4 1/2 and I still don't leave him alone in the tub.
    DS#1 Dec 06
    DS#2 May 08
    DD#1 Oct 09
    DD#2 Dec 10

I think 2 is too young, especially if the child is bathing alone and wouldn't be talking to another kid so that the mom could hear that.

Expert Forum User

Our bathroom is knida central to the laundry room and living room. I will now when DS is 4(next month) and ODD is 6. I run change loads, fold laundry and tidy living room and or clean the bathroom. I am kinda running around but everything revolves around the bathroom.
    Love isn't love till you give it away.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by my2babies View Post
    Well where does she go though? like maybe she's going one room over to fold laundry and is keeping her ears open you know?

I don't know when I started but I leave my 4 and 6 year old in there but I stay on the same floor and do laundry and that and keep my ears open to them.

I'm not sure where she goes or what she's doing, I just know she's not in the room.. I dunno, maybe I see an issue with it because Miles will stand up to get out of the tub if I turn for the 2 seconds it takes to grab a towel, you know? So thinking that her child is about the same age I guess I assume that he likely does the same thing, however I could be wrong, maybe he's perfectly safe in the tub, it's just not something I personally would do with my own 2 yr old.

On my poll I voted 5+, although I don't have a 5 yr old so I could feel differently next year and decide that at 3 or 4 he's fine to be alone, you know? Just right now.. no wayy Lol

Expert Forum User

3.5, before that he was my only kid, and I was content to sit in there with him. But after DD came along, I had to get stuff done while she napped and he was in the tub, so I would put clothes away while on the same floor

Expert Forum User

I think DS was about 3. But not for like 30 minutes, but checking every so often if I didn't hear him and make sure he wasn't making a mess. I know at 3 he started to want to take showers more so we would shower together and then before he was 4 he started being allowed to shower alone.
    I'm sure when he was 2-3 I would leave the room and get his snack or pjs and then right back in, so not more than a couple minutes.
    But he is also very loud and would talk to his toys or sing loudly, lol, so I would always know he was fine because I could hear him.

For a jet bath, he wasn't alone until 5+ because it was harder to hear him if it was running.

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    I'm not sure where she goes or what she's doing, I just know she's not in the room.. I dunno, maybe I see an issue with it because Miles will stand up to get out of the tub if I turn for the 2 seconds it takes to grab a towel, you know? So thinking that her child is about the same age I guess I assume that he likely does the same thing, however I could be wrong, maybe he's perfectly safe in the tub, it's just not something I personally would do with my own 2 yr old.

On my poll I voted 5+, although I don't have a 5 yr old so I could feel differently next year and decide that at 3 or 4 he's fine to be alone, you know? Just right now.. no wayy Lol
    Well 2 is kind of a blurry age for me with my kids, but my niece who is 2, I wouldn't leave her in the bathroom alone, so I see where your coming from.

DD1 I watched the longest. DS is 4 (will be 5 soon) and I do let him bath on his own but he talks with the toys as he plays and I go in to check on him a few times. If DD1 (almost 7) wants to have a bath with DD2 (almost 3) I will leave DD2 with DD1 as DD1 is quite responsible and won't get out of the tub with DD2 in it and will also call us when either of them want out.
    ETA - I still check on them during the bath though.
    Last edited by svanmep; 06-21-2011 at 05:09 PM.

I don't know. I won't let DD bathe alone yet even though I'm sure she'd be just fine. She doesn't like long baths and we have nice chats when she's in there so
    tough times don't last but tough people do

Expert Forum User

Early 3 I think. Maybe 2 if she was with her sister.

Banned

I think 4-5. But it's like a lot of things, totally depends on the child.

I think mine were around 5.. only because.. if i wasn't in the same room..we've have had an instant pool.... i literally had to cover my self with a towel.. just to stay dry.. i'd wash them.. and them let them play.. i actually enjoyed their bath time. it was very much part of a bed time routine we all enjoyed.

Depends on the kid. DS was a first kid, so once he was maybe four or so I would have started putting away laundry or puttering around nearby while he was playing in the tub. Earshot, talking back and forth, etc. DD probably around age 2.5 or so, I did that, because he was in the tub with her and she never, ever shuts up so I'd know to cdome running if she did.
    Also again, I'm just putting away clothes etc, and in and out of the room constantly. Or I sit on the floor outside the doorway, while they play, and talk on the phone.

Now they bathe separately, so I am fine putting around while he's in there, and if she is in there and I have to leave I have ds come watch her.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast