Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default How much does your 4-5 month baby nap?

Mine hardly naps at all. Today she woke up at 9:00. I know I am lucky she sleeps in like that and she sleeps through the night too. I'm not complaining that she hardly naps, but I do think it's probably a lot less then most babies.

She went down for a nap this morning at about 11:00. I then proceed to get my running clothes on so I can run on the treadmill. Well 3 mins in and she was up already. (thankfully she likes to watch me run on it, so I still got my run in).

Again she goes down at 2:00, I figure it's a good chance to grab the shower I hadn't been able to get since she likes to be held constantly. I get my towel, cloth and come back upstairs to get a shower and she's already up!

It's insane. I know when she wants to nap, she will go down for a nap, but then she's up right away most of the times. Sometimes she'll go for an hour, hour and a half, but hardly usually I am lucky for her to go down for a solid 20 mins..

anyway off to bath/shower with her....as I don't even have a chance to shower by myself....
    Last edited by my2babies; 06-21-2011 at 01:25 PM.

Expert Forum User

yesterday she took 2 1 hour naps... but that's a rarity. She hardly ever goes down for very long though, like no 3 hour naps

Expert Forum User

DS2 sleeps quite a bit - about 45 minutes after every 1-1.5 hours asleep and from 10/11pm-7am (he would sleep longer but I wake him up to take DS1 to school).

BUT DS1 slept maybe 2 naps for 1 hour each during the day, and also woke up EVERY hour during the night. But I do remember a couple times when he was under 6 months calling people begging them to watch him because I hadn't slept in 72 hours - don't remember how old since I was very sleep deprived most of that year, lol.

Abigail goes down for a nap after every 1.5 hours of being awake. She'll nap for 1-2 hours. Of course, this is not usually a straight 1-2 hours. She sometimes wakes and cries in between. Sometimes all she needs is a burp or a kiss and she'll fall back asleep after a bit of fussing. She naps three times a day, although the last one of the day is the hardest one for her to fall asleep for and is the shortest...maybe a half hour. She's in bed after I nurse her at 7pm and wakes between 6 and 7am...I have early risers in this house!
    Mom to 4 kiddies
    DD(9 yrs) & DS#1(6 yrs) & DS#2(4 yrs)
    & DD#2(1 yr)

Nolan will be 4mths July 9th and he has one big nap in the afternoon from 12:30 to 2:30 and then he will also cat naps often through out the day as well.
    "A parent's love is whole no matter how many times divided." Robert Brault

Proud mommy of three wonderful boys

Expert Forum User

DD was a “cat napper“ at that age. She would sleep anywhere and anytime, but for short 30 mins. Since about 8 mths, she has 1 good nap/ day 1.5-2 hours. (Sometimes 2 small ones if we're driving somewhere.) She has mostly been sleeping 12 hrs @ nite.

I wouldn't worry if she is sleeping most hours of the night. Mine were both great sleepers, we're lucky mommas.
    DS June 2007
    DD April 2010

"No influence is so powerful as that of the mother."- Sarah Josepha Hale

DD sleeps 7pm-7 or 8am (with 2 wake ups to feed) then naps anywhere from 30mins -2hrs twice a day usually, if her naps are short then she will have a 3rd 20 min cat nap before bed.
    “Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." ~Christopher Robin to Pooh~

DS sleeps from about 9:30 - 7:00 at night, and usually just wakes up once during the night to eat now. Then on a good day he'll take 2 naps about 1 - 1.5 hours each. On a bad day he'll cat nap several times and be grumpy.
    My DD hardly napped at all at that age though. We would be thrilled if she managed to nap for half an hour at a time. It was usually about 15 minutes.
    Last edited by Chelle; 06-21-2011 at 11:01 PM.

Expert Forum User

my ds was like that at that age it was like he knew I would turn on the shower and everything thing the second i had one foot in he was up and crying.

I was getting pretty frustrated because he would never let me shower. so after going a week with no help and no shower i started bringing him in the bathroom with me in his vibraty chair and i'd sing to him and he thought it was funny when i peeked out at him so it became a game.
    but he leveled off and started napping on a regular schedual. not he tells me when he is ready for his nap he walks over and lays his head in my lap and usually sleeps for 2hrs at a time.
    ~Who ever said "don't cry over spilt milk" has never been a breast feeding mother with latch issues standing over a puddle

Aden and Evalynn were cat nappers. Neither slept well during the day til about a year. Andrew varries between cat napping then crashing in the evening and 2 long naps upwards of 2/3 hrs each. Never predictable.
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/

Expert Forum User

My DS napped 3x/day for 2hrs each time. My DD did not sleep during the day until she was 10 months old (unless she happened to fall asleep for 10min here or there for some reason).

SO I guess her pattern is more normal then I though. Wasn't there one thread on here and the lm was saying her kid slept for 5 -45 min naps and she wanted help with naps? (I think).

I thought if most babies we're sleeping like that, then my baby was such an oddity.

Morgan goes down at usually 10 am and sleeps for 1 hour at most..then she goes for afternoon nap around 2 and same for 1 hour at most. Some night she has short dinner nap too if I am finding her cranky. this one is usually 1/2 hour.
    Sleeps through the night totally goes to bed at 8 and up at 8. No night feeds. I am lucky

My guy used to get up later and his naps were much shorter/rarer also. I found when we got him on an earlier bed time routine (7 PM) he now gets up somewhere around 7 AM (he does wake up once or twice at night still) but he's also tired again by 9 AM - that's his first nap. I find generally after about 1.5-2.5 hours of activity he's tired again. He usually goes for a second nap around 1, and usually it's fairly long, but sometimes (for example today) he only sleeps for an hour so he actually has another short nap again later in the afternoon. I wonder if she woke up earlier she would nap better? I think it's more overall sleep that you need to be concerned about, rather than how many naps, etc. As long as she seems happy (not overtired and getting enough sleep) and you're OK with her not napping it's probably not an issue!

It was me that posted about the 45 minute naps. I was hoping when I posted that everyone else would tell me that their LO napped short periods etc. etc.

I just finished reading your post. I really wish my LO would sleep longer than 45 minutes. It is frustrating b/c she cannot be up for a long time without becoming fussy. To be honest with you, I get so frustrated b/c I will then put her down and in no time (45 min) she is awake again....nothing accomplished.

I had so many hopes for this mat. leave. Spending time with my toddler doing puzzles, playing with train sets, baking....not so much. I am too exhausted to play half the time.

I hope our LO's will start to nap longer. I am sooooo jealous of the moms that have little ones that nap for long periods. I was so lucky with my first child, he napped for 2 3 hour naps each day from very early. Had I had this child first, I don't know if I would've done this again!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast