Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default paying for education

How did/do you all do it?
    I don't have interest in applying for OSAP or any other loans because I don't want the debt but I have 3 kids in day care and don't qualify for subsidy. My plan was to pay out of pocket for tuition, books, parking...all that stuff but the figures are high at times and it's a struggle when the larger amounts are due. I'm just wondering if theres an avenue I haven't looked at yet. Is there anything out there for a working family with a student mom?

Expert Forum User

I paid for it out of pocket. My kids were in school so I didn't have to pay for childcare. I worked full time after school and used that money to pay for school. I went to Fanshawe and they don't have an actual payment plan but what they expect you to pay is the $200 to hold your spot and your books/equipment at the beginning of the semester and then the balance of your tuition needs to be paid before you write final exams. I would pay the $200 and the 1st year I spent probably $1000 on books and tools. The rest of the tuition was about $1000 and I'd throw $200-300 down on it each month and had it paid by Dec when you write exams. Other semesters were easier than the first because I only had books to buy and not too many tools. Some books I was able to borrow from the library. Packing a lunch and taking the bus are the easiest ways to save money because when you are paying for lunch and parking it will very quickly bleed you dry. My method you do incur interest on tuition but for me it was the only way I could do it. I also didn't get to see my family much but when I was home I'd really take advantage of that time.

Expert Forum User

What MomLiz said is smart, if you can manage that. Some banks offer low interest line of credit. When money is tight, you only have to pay the monthly interest. If you don't qualify for subsidized childcare, that may change if you are in school f/t and with 1 household income. You can always apply after next years tax return.
    DS June 2007
    DD April 2010

"No influence is so powerful as that of the mother."- Sarah Josepha Hale

Expert Forum User

I used OSAP and bank loans to pay for my education and it was well worth the investment for me. I am fortunate enough that my current employer pays for my courses now. I am currently upgrading my degree and only have to pay $150 of the $1300 per university course.

Once I apply for a Masters I will have to pay out of pocket,so I will work during the day and take the Masters online. The twins will be in school full-time when I start it so that should reduce the amount of daycare we are paying and I will use that money towards the courses.

I will pay as I go so that I can hopefully be debt free this time when I graduate.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

OSAP here.
    LondonMoms has really gone downhill, ever since they started chit chatting in the home and garden forum. There is a place for chit chat, people!!!

Expert Forum User

I used OSAP for my 1 year teachers college. They paid for tuition, books, and daycare (I lived at home so would also have gotten rent/bills paid if needed). I think about $12,000 total was loaned to me.
    They deducted $1,000 for something from the government because I finished (or maybe for decent grades-i forget), then some other things were deducted but I forget why. I received a notice when I had to start paying that explained why the government took back some of the loan but forget why.
    In total I paid back $7,000. I know other women on here said they had the same thing where they only paid $7,000 back.

I got a job watering plants for $10/hour 10 hour days for the summer after I graduated (still lived at home) and paid it off (my only bill was daycare at the time).

Expert Forum User

I think that`s what I`ve heard too. That you only have to pay $7000 of it back.

Expert Forum User

Oh gosh - if you apply for tons of bursaries and scholarships you'll be surprised at who will throw money at ya! It's amazing what's out there for bursaries.
    Married 2005. DD1 2007. DD2 2011. Beta Sigma Phi 2013.
    ... and one cute little kitty!

I am curious as to why they lower it to 7000$? We are paying way way more for my dh osap which wasn't lower!
    The good thing about osap is you can apply for interest relief for I believe 6 mths at a time up to I believe 5 times. Very handy if you fall into a slim money situation. We unfortunately have used it up! Also with osap you don't pay back until you are done school. If you go line of credit you need to start paying back right away. There is also not as much negotiating for paying back to the bank. I can't afford my payments but there isn't a way for them to lower it so basically all of one of my pay goes towards that payments once a month. Makes for a very tough 2 wks!
    I would def look into asap.

Expert Forum User

they have some govt initiative that no student will owe more then 7k... unless you somehow default... so in my case it wasn't lowered because i underestimated my income 1 year and stupidly didn't magically know how much i would actually make and didn't let them know the precise figure... so when it came time to repay the loan they used that as an excuse not to lower it.

How do you apply for the childcare subsidy? For that matter, is there somewhere online where you can see if you'd qualify?
    ds - nov. '03 & dd - mar. '06

Expert Forum User

When I had subsidy I had to go down to the tower building on Dundas and Richmond and fill out a form and it didn't take long before I heard back. I actually had a harder time finding a daycare that would accept a baby and subsidy that I did getting subsidy but I hear now-a-days there are wait list. Bumping so hopefully someone who knows the current situation can help.

Quote Originally Posted by MomLiz View Post
    When I had subsidy I had to go down to the tower building on Dundas and Richmond and fill out a form and it didn't take long before I heard back. I actually had a harder time finding a daycare that would accept a baby and subsidy that I did getting subsidy but I hear now-a-days there are wait list. Bumping so hopefully someone who knows the current situation can help.
    I haven't gone through the process yet but I've looked into it for my LO due next month. You get wait listed depending on your income. It definitely doesn't hurt to apply though. Finding childcare spots has been a pain for me as well, since he'll be a newborn. One centre I called yesterday was wait listing for January 2013!

Check out entrance scholarships and bursaries. I know for UWO, entrance scholarships are automatically given based on your application. And bursaries are given based on income, etc. With 3 kids, I think you'll most likely get something.

And from my personal experience I would recommend OSAP. Interest doesn't start accumulating until after you graduate or stop FT studies. And as the ladies mentioned above, there's a cap on how much you have to repay each year! The rest is made of grants. There's a tool called the “Aid Estimator“ on the website.

Do you know if you'd still not qualify for subsidy if you were a student instead of your current income? Worth considering if the income would change.

Look at bursaries for sure. What are you looking to take? The advantage I've heard of OSAP over a bank loan is that you aren't paying the interest at the beginning. Now, if someone else in the house is earning money, the amount from OSAP is probably minimal that you'd qualify for, I've played with the calculator before out of interest....

Oh, I should have said that I was in a research based grad program so they paid me, so I didn't have to deal with loans.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast