Dad&Mom

Default French Immersion .... St John FI (Catholic) vs Centennial FI

Hi everyone, we are planning to send our son to JK in September and we have narrowed our decision to St John FI and Centennial FI.

Other than the fact that Centennial does not offer French in JK and the obvious Catholic-Non Catholic issue, does anyone with children in these schools have any comments re. atmosphere, morale, classmates, resources, extracurricular activities. etc.

We'd love to hear your comments......

Default JK in the Fall

Hello, I have a daughter that started SK at Centennial Central in the FI program. She loves it. It is a wonderful, homey atmosphere with excellent teachers! I attended all but one of her class trips and I was a teacher myself for 12 years and would highly recommend Centennial. The principal is excellent! First school I have been a part of (also have 3 other children) where the principal is outside every recess and in the am when the children arrive. She even ran a walking club every lunch recess! I have NO complaints about this school and my daughter will be back next year for grade one!!!She can hardly wait! Hope this helps!

Hi!
    Please pardon me for butting in here, but I was wondering if I could ask a few questions...?
    DH and I have been discussing our options for our dd's education, and are very interested in FI.... so:
    Where are these schools? What are the boundaries? How close do you have to live to these schools to have your child attend? Do you have to provide transportation? What are the requisites for your child to attend?
    Um... pretty much anything you can share would be helpful! Just excited about the whole idea, is all!

TIA!
    pickles

lotsamom

Default St. John FI

I have 2 boys attending St. John's and a third starting JK in the fall. I cannot say enough about the principal, the teachers or the support staff.

The parent association is active and they do a lot for school spirit. I have found the kids in older grades to be very kind and helpful with my little guys, especially on the bus.

St. John's is on Hill Street right near downtown. We live near Marconi and Gore. They ride the bus (about 30min in the morning and another 30 in the afternoon).

I know they changed the boundaries in the last year or two so you may want to check it out with the school board.

Be careful though, I don't know about the other FI schools but St. John's tends to have a waiting list for JK and SK.

Hope some of this is helpful. If you have any other questions, just ask.

Default Centennial Central

Centennial is located at Medway Road and Adelaide. The children ride a bus it is a quiet, somewhat country location. We live in North London but I know Centennial goes out as far as Komoka for some students. I am not sure of the boundaries??? It is our home school so we never had to be excepted into the French program, but if it is not your home school you would have to get an exemption into the school.(this can be difficult) I think if you go on the Thames Valley Website you can see all the boundaries and what FI school would be for your location. Hope this helps!

Expert Forum User

I think if you go on the Thames Valley Website you can see all the boundaries and what FI school would be for your location. Hope this helps!
    Sorry, I don't mean to hijack your original post, but can someone post the link to the map/list of boundaries for the Thames Valley District School Board - for all the schools? I can only find a list with the school locations and we seem to be between two schools and I don't know which we would fall under! Thanks! (and sorry again for the hijack!!)
    Mum to Alyssa (born April 30, 2005)

Expert Forum User

SOHO and Somewhere between here and there.

Hi Lotsamom!, my son will be attending JK at St. John's this fall too. Were you there the information night? I'm wondering if I talked to you....LOL.

Would you be up for a few play dates over the summer at all? So the boys know someone from their class?

I was happy to read that you have had great experiences at the school. Have either of your older sons had the kindergarten teachers that are there now?

Anyone else sending their child to St. John's FI this fall for JK?

Expert Forum User

SOHO and Somewhere between here and there.

LOL, nevermind, I just realized that your post was from 2007.........:S sorry.

Expert Forum User

Renee is at Centennial now, just finishing JK, going into the FI program next year.
    Apparently the FI program will be leaving the school when she is entering Grade 1. Students are already being filtered out--Dorchester kids are already being merged with a school near Clarke.
    Depending where you are your child will go into the city to Huron Heights (I think), or to Strathroy.

Because the city is expanding so quickly to the North, they will be converting the school to English strand only---which really sucks for us, but that is a whole other story!

Renee had been a victim of bullying-not 100% pleased with how it was handled, but I do really like the teachers.
    ~Cheryl~
    cherylb.acndirect.com

DD has graduated St John JK!!...yeah!

We love it there....couldn't ask for anything more...

Expert Forum User

Awesome!! He he love ressurected threads!
    I have 4 boys ages 7, 5, and 3 and newborn

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I had a friend a few years ago (when she was still living in London) send her son to St John's for the FI program. She loved the school and had nothing but excellent things to say about the school as a whole and all of the teachers there.