Thread: CHILD SUPPORT

Default CHILD SUPPORT

So my husbands ex-wife was off on mat leave last year because she had a baby with her new husband. But her decrease in income - makes his child support go up. Doesn't it seem completely worng that he has to pay more money because she was off work because she had a baby with someone else???? Does anyone know more about this or how I can find information on it??? TIA

Expert Forum User

No child support has nothing to do with the custodial parent's income. It is based on his income only, unless she is trying to combine your income and his? His section 7 expenses would go up, cause that is based on both incomes, and what percentage each pays.

I worked alot less last year, and I cannot ask my ex to up his support because of that. I only get support off of his income.

I would talk to your lawyer.
    Last edited by hockeymomof3; 06-08-2011 at 01:56 PM.

Expert Forum User

I agree. It shouldn't have changed unless your DH's income went up

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Totally agree with PP, I wasn't even asked my income or anything when it was time to go to court.

“life is not measured by the breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away“

Social Media Guru

Shouldn't have changed unless his income went up.

No - in his case = they have 50-50 access and both incomes are considered - its in their separation agreement. So child support is figured out based on his, figured out based on hers and the amount is created by subtracting the higher amount from the lower. So if she were to ever make more than him, tables would turn and she would pay him.
    So basically - if for example - based on his income if her were to pay $500 in child support and based on her income she was to pay $300 -- it would be $500-300 = $200 --- so $200 is what my hubby would pay. So in this case her income went down dramatically because of mat leave -- which makes her number lower....and in turn my husbands ends up paying a lot more....because she had a kid with someone else --- make sense?? Tried to call Flic but they werent too helpful!!

*because it is week on week off access there is no "custodial" parent
    Last edited by TWOBABYBEANS; 06-09-2011 at 10:21 AM.

Expert Forum User

The way you've explained it then he isn't paying more money ... his share is still $500 per month. He's just getting “less“ now from her for the support she owes to him. Since they agreed to 'net' the amounts, it feels like he's paying more but really his amount owing hasn't changed.
    Last edited by strongmommy; 06-09-2011 at 11:22 AM.

Banned

We are in the same boat. DH pays for the youngest and she pays for the oldest. Because she doesn't work, she doesn't have to pay a penny, and DH still has to pay for D.
    It sucks and it's not fair at all. When DH stayed home on parental leave, he still had to pay based on his normal income, he would never have been allowed to pay less, or nothing, like she does.
    Grrrrrrrrrrr.

THis is crap. sorry but this is not fair. I think it should be 50/50 but he doesnt get to make decisions about her life and income and so he shouldnt be affected if she has another baby. If you guys have a baby or you loose your job does he get more??? THis just doesnt seem right. If i were her I would not be taking more money. i just think that is rude

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Oh what a crappy situation. Sorry I didn't understand at first why he would be paying more.

“life is not measured by the breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away“

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by TWOBABYBEANS View Post
    No - in his case = they have 50-50 access and both incomes are considered - its in their separation agreement. So child support is figured out based on his, figured out based on hers and the amount is created by subtracting the higher amount from the lower. So if she were to ever make more than him, tables would turn and she would pay him.
    So basically - if for example - based on his income if her were to pay $500 in child support and based on her income she was to pay $300 -- it would be $500-300 = $200 --- so $200 is what my hubby would pay. So in this case her income went down dramatically because of mat leave -- which makes her number lower....and in turn my husbands ends up paying a lot more....because she had a kid with someone else --- make sense?? Tried to call Flic but they werent too helpful!!

*because it is week on week off access there is no “custodial“ parent
    Ok well you didn't state this in the OP, so I assumed he just had visitations and the mom was the custodial parent.

Expert Forum User

I agree that doesn't seem far to your hubby (her ex) at all. Is there anywhere to voice the unfairness? (draw attention to it?)