Expert Forum User

Default I need a new financial advisor/planner

Talking with a friend today made me realize that it really is time to meet with someone....and made me remember that I really am not a fan of our current advisor. Any suggestions? I want someone who will be brutally honest with me (yes, you are living beyond your means or no, you have nothing to worry about) AND who will help me get my stuff in better order. I just need to see the big picture once in awhile....

TIA!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

My father is a financial planner/advisor. If you'd like his info, please pm me and I will give it to you! He's in Woodstock but often comes to London to meet up with his clients, etc.

Expert Forum User

No specific names or contacts --- but try and find someone who is willing to look at your picture "from 5000 feet up" so to speak.

From everything I've learned and come across good financial planning means having a plan in place (or working towards it) for insurance (and only what's needed - for life, illness, mortgage etc), education planning, 'free' money planning, mortgage planning, registered and unregistered retirement planning all the while making sure you can manage it all on a budget your comfy with. If you take care of those things, you won't need to worry so much about carving out expenses from your monthly budget. It's always a trade off - you can't generally do it all and still eat - but you're already on the right track if you're thinking about it.

Good luck -

http://www.johnmlewis.ca/

This guy was ours. He was awesome - last year he set us up to pay off all of our debts in under 5 years, save up and buy a house in less than one year (bought it 2 months ago), and get all of our insurance needs in order should anything happen to either of us. He also gave us a monthly budget to work from... to be honest we sort of suck at keeping it updated, but we've been talking about dragging it out again now that we have a zillion new expenses and I'll be going off on mat leave again. Really nice guy, too.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    http://www.johnmlewis.ca/

This guy was ours. He was awesome - last year he set us up to pay off all of our debts in under 5 years, save up and buy a house in less than one year (bought it 2 months ago), and get all of our insurance needs in order should anything happen to either of us. He also gave us a monthly budget to work from... to be honest we sort of suck at keeping it updated, but we've been talking about dragging it out again now that we have a zillion new expenses and I'll be going off on mat leave again. Really nice guy, too.
    Awesome - that's what I am looking for. We have the insurance stuff covered, the house bought, close to being debt free (one measly student loan and some $$ oweing on our LOC)...but I am dying to talk to someone about a monthly budget and saving. Yay - thanks for the advice, ladies.

Expert Forum User

you can also come see me at work too if you like!!! Im a Financial Advisor for TD Bank!
    Mom to DS - 9.5 years old
    AND

Just curious, what is the cost/fee for an advisor?

Expert Forum User

nothing at my work!
    AND

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobsmom View Post
    nothing at my work!

I may have to come see you! What branch!

Expert Forum User

I will pm you!
    AND

I don't believe they charge - they get commission??

Expert Forum User

again not at my work as we are a large bank ...we are salary but a lot of those independent ones are!
    AND

Administrator Site Admin

I highly recommend Carla DosSantos. She has been helping us for a couple of years now and we have been very happy so far. We have not paid anything to her and she even came to our house to meet with us when it was difficult to get in to see her.

She sometimes comes to the girls nights too so I will introduce you sometime but otherwise I find her contact information and post it here.
    Leslie

girlsmum

We have a great rep from Primerica who did a financial needs analysis for our family and we're covered fantastically for life insurance and we have an RESP for all 3 of our girls through her. The rep's follow the latest trends economically and advised not to go with RESP's until about 4 years ago when great changes were made and now I switched my teen's allotment to an RESP and with even better changes to them, our twins will be getting an even better payout. It's nice that I don't have to read all the business reports to keep up with the latest investment trends, it's all done for us and we're really happy with the service that we receive in our home.