Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default Ears 7wks post piercing-infected site-metal allergy warning *update post 13

*Metal allergy update, post 13*

I totally do not understand, I am through about doing DD's ears twice a day and suddenly yesterday her pierced ears are infected. They were a little crusty (ew) thus a little pussy. All I can think of is that she got sunblock in her hair at daycare, thus got some on her ears (does that sound right?).

I took the earings out and called the place were I got them done. They told me to put pollysporin on them and to put the earings right back in. Which I did.

They do look better today, but the one is still tender. I put more polly on them this morning and have cleaned them 3 times today.

I plan on more polly in the morning and to clean them again. She has swimming tomorrow but I am not sure if that would make them worse or help.

I feel so badly for her She is 5 and feels like such a big girl that she got her ears pierced. The poor little thing was just in tears when I had to tell her there is a problem
    Last edited by ProudMommy; 06-15-2011 at 07:27 PM.
    THANK YOU TO EVERYONE-WE WON! -BIG LM'S HUGS!!!
    ----------------------------------------------------

Please forgive me, I know that I can not spell

Treasure your loved ones, in a blink of an eye they can be gone and there is no second chance to show them how much you loved them.

Expert Forum User

Thoughts?

Treasure your loved ones, in a blink of an eye they can be gone and there is no second chance to show them how much you loved them.

Expert Forum User

SOHO and Somewhere between here and there.

Is it possible she's allergic to the earings? She may need silver or some other type. Do you have a pair of studs that are not the same element (eg. gold) that she has on now, that you can just try for a few days?

I'm allergic to certain earings. When I was a kid, my ears (around the earing hole) would get crusty, and on the skinline between the ear and head (if that makes sense). I had to get steroid cream for it to go away, but I have really sensitive skin.

Re: swimming.....in my humble opinion it would probably help more than harm. One would think the chlorine would help kill any germs that are irritating her, unless its an allergic reaction (in which it will continue unless the earings are changed or taken out).

I hope she feels better soon
    Last edited by Entreaquiyahi; 06-05-2011 at 11:29 PM.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Entreaquiyahi View Post
    Is it possible she's allergic to the earings? She may need silver or some other type. Do you have a pair of studs that are not the same element (eg. gold) that she has on now, that you can just try for a day?

I'm allergic to certain earings. When I was a kid, my ears (around the earing hole) would get crusty, and on the skinline between the ear and head (if that makes sense). I had to get steroid cream for it to go away, but I have really sensitive skin.

Re: swimming.....in my humble opinion it would probably help more than harm. One would think the chlorine would help kill any germs that are irritating her, unless its an allergic reaction (in which it will continue unless the earings are changed or taken out).

I hope she feels better soon
    I have so many allergies, I made sure that they were 14K that she got them pierced with.

Allergy wise, I think that if she was going to have a reaction to them that she would have had it before 7 wks atleast I am hoping that is the case.

I know that if something is going to bug me, it is within a few hours.

It was just out of the blue, she was eating breakfast and she told me that her ears were itchy

Expert Forum User

SOHO and Somewhere between here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by ProudMommy View Post
    I have so many allergies, I made sure that they were 14K that she got them pierced with.

Allergy wise, I think that if she was going to have a reaction to them that she would have had it before 7 wks atleast I am hoping that is the case.

I know that if something is going to bug me, it is within a few hours.

It was just out of the blue, she was eating breakfast and she told me that her ears were itchy
    True.
    However, in your OP you mentioned you just finished cleaning her ears twice a day......maybe now that that process is over, her skin is having more contact with the element - whereas the cleaning/creams acted as a barrier, not giving her skin a chance to react, kwim?

If its in both ears, to me that rules out fluke things like (an earing scraping the hole and causing an infection on the way in), unless it happened in both ears.

Hopefully it will just go away soon with the polyspourin, otherwise try silver. I've heard (so I don't know if its true) that some people can't wear gold jewellry.
    Last edited by Entreaquiyahi; 06-05-2011 at 11:53 PM.

Expert Forum User

I was still cleaning her ears we are supposed to clean them for 8 week and I am only at 7.

Maybe I should take her to the doctors?

I know that I can not wear silver, or my mother.

I cleaned them again this morning and put more polly on them. I did notice that behind one ear, her head is a little red all the way along where the ear is connected to her head.

I just feel sick about this

Expert Forum User

I don't think swimming would make them worse, unless it was at a beach, they might sting for a second though. Is it possible she has been playing with them? Touching them pulling on them? My girls can only wear gold or surgical steel earrings or they have a reaction, I am the same was, I wear earrings for a night out and by the end of the night my ears are itchy and sore. If she isn't better maybe ask your Dr maybe she needs a stronger antibiotic cream.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by allie27 View Post
    I don't think swimming would make them worse, unless it was at a beach, they might sting for a second though. Is it possible she has been playing with them? Touching them pulling on them? My girls can only wear gold or surgical steel earrings or they have a reaction, I am the same was, I wear earrings for a night out and by the end of the night my ears are itchy and sore. If she isn't better maybe ask your Dr maybe she needs a stronger antibiotic cream.
    She swears that she didnt touch them

I know when I brought her home from school on Friday, here hair was so sticky, that is why I hoped it was the sunblock and the sand

Expert Forum User

I know if you go to ardene they have plastic earings. used specifically for piercing babies.
    I use to pierce for them before I moved to a parlor.

but yes to swimming. clorien is great for cleaning out infections but not the lake bacteria in the water will make it worse.

biggest concern is do not “give in“ and remove the earings all together the infection will becom trapped in the skin and can do aweful things to the body.
    ~Who ever said "don't cry over spilt milk" has never been a breast feeding mother with latch issues standing over a puddle

Expert Forum User

don't put poly sporine on it!!!

its great for covered cutsa but the gloopy nature will actually hold bacteria and make it worse.
    go to shoppers drug mart or any [pharmacy and get tea tree oil.
    ~Who ever said "don't cry over spilt milk" has never been a breast feeding mother with latch issues standing over a puddle

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I agree, stop with polysporin! It's the devil when it comes to body piercings and healing. It's only for surface wounds.

I would change her earrings to pure gold loops. Call a body piercing place for advice on how to get rid of the infection and to swimming.

As for swimming, I wouldn't chance it.
    My little man was born on Oct 12/08 at home into Dad's loving hands.
    My little lady was born on July 28/11 at home... Daddy was busy keeping mom company.

I have 1 baby Santa Suit for Sale 0-3 months (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/vbclassif...&memberid=2201) or to Trade (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/104323-tr...it#post1592622). Thanks for looking!

Expert Forum User

actually now that I think about it I think I have a pair of steril plastic earings they are locking back so she won't knock them out but it will help if its any kind of allergy.

pm me if you are interested and I'll take a look at my stash and see what colors I have.

Expert Forum User

Well I found it was that the backs of the earrings are NOT 14 K gold. Even though, they say that the earring are 14K. That is why DD had a reaction.

One of my co-workers daughter was having the same reaction, so we called today. It was the only rational explaination that I could come up with. I was thinking that the gold plating or finish might be wearing thin after 7 weeks. The girl at Westmount said that they were not gold plated backs. But then we called Masonville and they lady, right away, said that the backs were not 14K gold.

I bought her new earrings tonight. When the took her old ones out, it was so easy to tell from the colour of the backings.

So please be forwarned if you have any concerns about allergies.
    Last edited by ProudMommy; 06-15-2011 at 07:26 PM.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I know my DD was told not to go swimming for the first little while when she got her ears pierced. That may also be part of the problem.
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by doulamom View Post
    I know my DD was told not to go swimming for the first little while when she got her ears pierced. That may also be part of the problem.
    The swimming seems to make them better, I am wondering if that helped wear down the coating on the backing too though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast