Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default How do mom's with 2 do it.

Ok I am totally exhausted. I have a 3 week old and a 4 year old and I the lack of sleep is really getting to me. How do other mom's keep going? My husband lets me nap if I want but some times feel worse when I get up. I get up with the baby because my husband needs his sleep due to a medical condition. This morning I woke up and couldn't remember if I fed the baby, he woke up at 3:30 but for the life of me at 6 this morning and even now I can't remember if he ate. I have take to drinking coffee and don't want to depend on that. My patience is running thin and it's not far to my 4 year old when he doesn't really do anything but ever little thing gets on my last nerve.

Expert Forum User

BTDT. Just keep going. I hear that it gets better - lol! My suggestion is to go with the coffee. Heck go with whatever it takes to get through the day. And if your baby is hungry, he will let you know!

I honestly don't remember how you get through it, it's all kind of a blur but I do know that it does get better. Hang in there!
    Three busy boys and one lovely little lady!

Expert Forum User

I think too it's important to recognize your limits. Being aware that PPD is something that is a possibility too. If you are overly depressed or concerned, please talk to someone you trust about this.

Postpartum Depression Information

Just because others have "gone through it" does not mean that it will be easy. {{{hugs}}}

MM
    *sigh*

Breastfeeding Success Essentials:
    SUPPORT ~ EDUCATION ~ DETERMINATION

Beat the "Booby Traps" to Breastfeeding Success!

~The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'~

~Do or Do Not. There is no try.~
    Yoda

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I think the only thing that got me through was having her in a bassinet right beside the bed and bringing her into bed to nurse her during the night, we would both fall asleep and I actually got some sleep. If you are ff I think you can buy a bottle warmer or something to keep water warm and keep in by your bed so you just mix up a bottle and feed it to her in bed. Co-sleeping may not be for everyone but for me it really worked the first few months to let me get some sleep. She's in her crib now and (fingers crossed) starting to sleep through the nights now.
    Mommy to three adorable kids!

Expert Forum User

It does get better, soon it will all be a blur! If you are feeling overwhelmed you should ask one of your support people to help you out! I really depended on mine, even if it was for an afternoon! have you tried to go to bed earlier? it may suck for the next little while but if you are getting a little more sleep even if its broken it may help you in the mornings!

It defitily wasn't easy qwhen I brought Cobe home in September I had one day at home to rest up and that was it dh went right back to work ....only because I had the baby on his weekend off..lol so there really was no need to take the extra time
    Anyway Xavier was almost 3.5 years wehn I brought Cobe home and he was okay but I found the tv became a good friend..Ididn't mind either as if Cobe was sleeping I would turn on a favourite show for Xavier he would cuddle with me on the couch and I could sleep for about 15mins max...Coffee became my best friend...we just took it day by day....and slowly but surely it all came toegther...definitly nap when you can I also bought a stock up of a few new toys (about 8-10 toys) so every so often I would bring out a new one for Xavier to play with to also keep him entertained for a while....I competely understand about every little thing getting on your nereve...it was like that with me too...every little bit of sleep you are able to get helps...

Hnestly like McMommaBearof 2 has said it does get beter and then it will all be a blur, and definitly ask for help when you need it....
    You are not alone...
    Becky Mom to X and C

mumtobelle

A lot of it is a blur for me too and my girls are now 11 months and 31 months old. Try and take things one day at a time and yes, it does get better but like MilkyMama said, be aware of your limits and don't ignore any possible warning signs. Get some extra help if you can, I know for many of us it's not always possible but if you have good friends or family close ask for help. Lack of sleep affects some people very negatively (like me) and it's really important to rest when ever and where ever. Good luck

Expert Forum User

I remember when my youngest was that age. I thought I should have things together by now but I still felt like a wreck and was exausted all the time. Yet I though I should be able to do more and have more energy but I was bored and exausted.

Try to relax and enjoy yourself. Babies grow so fast and before you know it they're giving you another challenge.

Expert Forum User

Like others said, it's a bit of a blur.
    I'm still in the thick of things with a 2.5 year old and a 5.5 month old.
    There are many mornings that I can't remember when I fed the baby, things I said to DH etc. kinda scary.
    I nap every day since my 2.5 year old naps for 2 hours every afternoon and right now it's working out that one of the baby's naps is at lunch time. So I put Jack to bed and Ben and I snuggle up in my bed and we all sleep. That probably won't work for you since you have a 4 year old.
    Like the others said - try and get help from family and friends and talk to your doc if needed.
    ((((HUGS))) I hear it gets better - lack of sleep is no fun.

Formerly Jacksmommy
    Becky ~ Mom to two busy boys, Jack & Ben

~Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind~
    ~Dr. Seuss~

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

GOsh I barely remember those days. And my kids are 1 and 5. YOu do manage to get through it. YOu just have to find something that works for you. Maybe you need a little fresh air to help revitalize yourself. Eat breakfast in the morning to get yourself going. Rest whenever you can. Even if it means snuggling up with your 4 yr old and letting him watch a movie while the baby sleeps. If you have a friend or family member who can come over for a little so you can get a nap, or get out of the house it would be a great idea. IF you think that it's something more serious than that be sure to seek some help. Enjoy the baby at this stage as it doesnt' last long. hang in there. HUGS
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

I found co-sleeping for the first 3 months let us both get sleep. I think it saved my sanity. Initially I said I wouldn't do it but with me the baby slept 8 hours straight.

Mump&Grump_Mom

Quote Originally Posted by MilkyMama View Post
    I think too it's important to recognize your limits. Being aware that PPD is something that is a possibility too. If you are overly depressed or concerned, please talk to someone you trust about this.

Postpartum Depression Information

Just because others have "gone through it" does not mean that it will be easy. {{{hugs}}}

MM

I was thinking PPD too...it can sneak up on you, and even if you are thinking you aren't "depressed" you can still be suffering. Do you have a midwife, or your doctor you can talk to? Ask for help from your friends and family, ask them to help with your older child, the laundry, meals...believe me, they would rather you ask and they help than to learn you were so miserable!

I honestly didn't "enjoy" the first three weeks of newborn life with my second child. I had extreme (at least it was extreme for me) post-partum anxiety and I couldn't sleep even if there was time available. I would take two Gravol before bedtime and still couldn't sleep even though I was extremely tired.

I was over-anxious about everything humanly possible until I visited my parents (who lived 2-1/2 hours away at that time) for about a week. Since my mom didn't work, she looked after the kids a bit while I showered and took care of myself. She pushed me to go out of the house (even though I couldn't envision ever leaving the house again...out of fear mostly.) I honestly don't know if the overwhelming feelings would have gone away until my mother helped. My husband did all that he could before I visited my parents for a week, but husbands have to go to work during the day and don't really understand women's "after-birth" needs. (It's usually a woman that really understands.)

If you have family that you can lean on and ask for help, do it. If you have friends that you can ask for help, do it.

I can so empathize with your exhaustion. If you'd like to chat, please feel free to PM me. I know that we don't really know each other, but I always felt that anyone that had gone through my shoes would be a good someone to talk to.

I won't say "Take it easy" when I sign off (even though I almost did) because expressions like that made me so mad immediately after having my second. My thoughts were "how can I take it easy when I'm soooo tired". Do what you can to make the best out of the present situation, and time will pass. Soon (thankfully) this will all be a bit of a blur like the prior posts.

Expert Forum User

a routine helped me out big time. My oldest was 3 1/2 when my second was born, but she was sick when born, and didnt come home until she was 11 weeks old, and was sleeping all night by that point
    Madison - Setember 20,2002
    Emma - June 12,2006 RCDH
    Carter- November 3, 2009

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast