Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help Help...Icky Head Lice

Heres the most hated topic, Im sorry!

In December my daughter who is now 6 came down with head lice..we worked and worked and finally after weeks of work got rid of it. It came back we got rid of it again, now today its back....ugh!

Her hair was down to her butt, we cut it up to the middle of her back, its put up tight in a bun every day she is in school..we use moose and hair spray on it the days she has school.

We have used those expensive shampoos, we've used vinager, baby oil seems to be the only thing that works..but its messy.

Does ANYONE have any advice???

Thanks in advance for anyone who has ideas
    Mom of 2 and 2

I heard that a few drops of tea tree oil in the shampoo works.

Quote Originally Posted by logansmom
    I heard that a few drops of tea tree oil in the shampoo works.
    I was going to say the same

i use tea treeoil shampoo that i ought at SDM about once a week on the kids and i and regular shampoo the rest of the time and so far we have been really lucky i was told to add enough TTO to shampoo till you can smell it of you can just buy the shampoo already made.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

dont forget you need to vacum everything and dumb it directly after too.
    Notify everybody she has been in contact with, I know from expiernce the reason it spreads so much much is parents get embarrassed and dont report it to other parents and then bam there is full blown assault of em passing around.

use tea tree oil in your shampoo and even when she doesnt have them still check her head and fine tooth comb it weekly

use dawn dishsoap to rinse the oil out if that is working then stick with it.

I use the fine tooth comb in her hair every day, its a pain in the *** but its become part of the busy morning.

The teacher sends notes home with all the kids when theres a problem in the class, but I think for most parents they are sent home so often its just over looked now. The teacher herself had to go home because after 7 yrs of teaching she has it.

We do the bedding in HOT water and in a HOT dryer daily, she only has her bedtime bunny but it too gets washed daily.

We have gone to the doctor, because you are only supposed to use the shampoos twice..they really are not good for you, but the doctor said it was " your problem, deal with it"

My boys we took the clippers to them, but they don't care their hair is always short, my husbands is as short as the boys...Myself I check mine with the tooth comb, found a few little friends so ive been treating myself...BUT had a reaction to the lice shampoo..I have allergies to rag-weed and didn't know until after that you shouldn't use it. My one year old we've been using the comb on her hair, and I baby oil it at night so far shes ok.

**The tree oil, just get the oil..or the "kit" that walmart sells (that comes with the shampoo and oil?**

We have had no problems until the past few months, My boys are in grades 4 and 5 she is in SK.

And if I was embarrased I wouldn't be here!! Its just one of those things...
    Mom of 2 and 2

Zoo

This is foolproof. Make sure you do what the others said though, about vacuuming and cleaning EVERYTHING. It will just take one to climb back on the hair and you're doing it again.

1/2 cup olive oil
    10 drops tea tree oil
    2 tbsps vinegar

Beat until kind of 'creamy'

Completely coat hair and scalp. Cover head with shower cap for one hour. Comb out with flea comb. YES FLEA COMB. My daughter has baby-fine hair and it was the only thing that would catch all the 'bits.'

Good luck, it SUCKS!!!!!

Ok Finally our house if free (knock wood)...BUT she still has the dead eggs attached to her hair..I sat doing it by hand for hours and got no where...Is there a way to get these off without doing it 1 hair at a time?

My DD's JK class is apparently "teeming" with lice.

My DD also has hair almost to her waist.

Every day I use a leave in condition that i buy(any kind will do) and add about 30+ drops of tea tree oil to. I also use the tea tree oil in the shampoo that i add to myself. This was a suggested measure that i use as a preventitive measure and it has worked for us. (touch wood, since Sept)
    I should also add that i tie up DD's hair in braids EVERY single day she is in school!!!!

Zoo

Quote Originally Posted by momof2and2
    Ok Finally our house if free (knock wood)...BUT she still has the dead eggs attached to her hair..I sat doing it by hand for hours and got no where...Is there a way to get these off without doing it 1 hair at a time?
    Do the treatment above again. They'll all come right off in the flea comb (rinse it well between every swipe). Even if there's nothing left alive, the treatment isn't toxic and won't hurt her.

Oh yuk...sorry ladies. We haven't had to deal with this yet, but I'm sure our turn will come.
    Where does everybody buy their teatree oil??

i get mine from shoppers drugmart

SuperMom

Lice seem to like fruity shampoo as well. If your shampoo smells like apples - change it!! I went through it in Sept/Oct and once I switched shampoo they didn't come back. I also sprayed the mattresses, carpet, furniture with R&C spray . The LiceMeister comb is great as well. Worth the $20!!

I also sprayed the mattresses, carpet, furniture with R&C spray
    What is that?

lotsamom

Default head lice

I feel your pain - another vote for teatree oil.

I keep adding a few drops into my dd regular shampoo and so far the critters have not returned.

I also highly recommend going to the pharmacy counter at Shoppers and requesting their expensive lice/nit comb. I think it is around $20 but it is the best money I ever spent. DD and I just sat in front of the TV every other night for 3 weeks (until we had 2 sessions with no nits found). and I painstakingly went through her hair.

long process but we are lice free!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast