M2M
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Unhappy hugely swollen gums?

My gums are HUGE all the time...swollen, sore, and bloody sometimes...Its almost embarrassing to talk to people because my gums are so noticeabley(sp) big. And if I taste blood I try and avoid talking at all.

does anyone else get/have this? I cant afford the detist so Im hoping its nothing huge, maybe just part of pregnancy?

Expert Forum User

It is part of being preggo. My gums alwasy bled when pregnant. Once the baby is born it should go away. If it doesn't, then I would go see a dentist. Isn't being pregnant fun???

My gums bled through both of my pregnancies I would also get a metallic taste in my mouth some of the time soo...so annoying! Don't know what to tell you, except that I've been through the same thing.

extra cleaning will help pregnancy gingivitis. Brush well 2-3 times a day, floss daily, you can get a brush called a sulca brush which cleans the gums very well. Are you a mouth breather? Breathing through your mouth can dry out the gums and make them more sensitive and reactive to plaque. If you do, you can put a little vaseline and smear it on the gums before bed, it blocks the air from drying them.
    With good care, you should see a difference in a couple weeks.
    Good luck.
    Barbi, mommy to
    Jack and Seth

My gums too were very bad through my second pregnancy... and my teeth were bad too... to the point where my back two molars had to be pulled once she was born (I was chicken and had to be put out for them... I hate the dentist!) The pretty much decayed through the last four months of my pregnancy, even with regular care.... dentist said that it had something to do with the calcium being pulled from me through the pregnancy. But yeah... I also suggest brushing regularly and floosing too... and maybe a mouthwash.. that should take the swelling down. Hope that helps...

you should swish salt water around, if there is an infection I would think that would help and should also help with swelling. I would call the dentist for advice and maybe look into the dentist school, they are alot cheaper from what I have heard and very good.

Teeth/mouth issues are common during pregnancy. Make sure you drink loads more milk/calcium intake than you think you need or the baby will suck it right from your body. I couldn't floss cause it would make me gag so bad.

The swelling of the gums is a response to bacteria, that should be able to be kept under control by flossing daily and brushing as pp indicated. The thing is, when you are pregnant, the hormones cause an exaggerated response to the bacteria by your body, so perhaps you may have had issues on and off with inflammation in your gums, and now, you are getting a significant response.
    If you are consistent, I think things should settle down for you without needing to visit a dentist. Hopefully it does, because I am sure it affects your self confidence when you are speaking with people.

Expert Forum User

I had problems with my gums and teeth as well during pregnancy. NOT fun!
    Stacey

I would go to the dentist - it's a normal part of pregnancy, but like others have said it can get bad if not taken seriously. I was there last week and they asked a zillion questions about gums and bleeding, etc. because it's something that does come up a lot.