Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default Anyone's kids using an iphone or ipad for communication

Our SLp mentioned that the iphone and ipad are started to be used by children with special needs to communicate.

I am very interested in finding out more about this. It is definitely a more economical communication device if it works.

I would love to hear if anyone has any experience with it. and would love to see it in action.

I have a lot of questions

Thanks
    Last edited by lhiannan; 05-09-2011 at 12:45 PM.

Expert Forum User

My DS uses the iPad.

Ask away... and we can try meeting up sometime as well, if you wish!
    www.southhilldesigns.com/carolwood
    www.facebook.com/charms2last.carolwood

The devil on my left shoulder wants me to reply, but the angel on my right shoulder is screaming: filter.....FILTER! - unknown

Expert Forum User

We use an Itouch for DS1, he is verbal but we can use the Itouch to create a visual schedule or first/then boards. I can show you sometime if you want?

Expert Forum User
    http://lifewithbecks.blogspot.com/

pm me for details about Little Diva Spa Parties

Expert Forum User

DS's iPad is his method of communication and uses it as an augmentative communication device. He was originally using PECS, but started stashing all the picture symbols. So, we made it a communication binder while we waited for his iPad. He has proloquo2go on it. He received it in December 2010 and is slowly adapting to using it more and more. We still have his book for outside, by the pool, for if the device fails, etc. In fact, the charge ran out at school the other day and he was mad he had to use his book during lunch! We are calling that success!!

The devil on my left shoulder wants me to reply, but the angel on my right shoulder is screaming: filter.....FILTER! - unknown

I am also looking into this for DD.
    We have an appointment with her SLT in june to discuss.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by tansie View Post
    My DS uses the iPad.

Ask away... and we can try meeting up sometime as well, if you wish!
    How do you know what applications to use?
    Is it easy to program?
    What kind of symbols/pictures are used?
    How do you start out?
    Is it pretty durable and user friendly for little fingers?
    Is there any funding to help pay for the device ( I have been selling my DDs clothes/toys to pay for speech already)

I would LOVE LOVE to see it!!

I am thinking the Ipad might be too big for my DD right now to carry around.
    I am super excited about a way to help her communicate. She uses mostly signs and gestures at the moment.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by tansie View Post
    DS's iPad is his method of communication and uses it as an augmentative communication device. He was originally using PECS, but started stashing all the picture symbols. So, we made it a communication binder while we waited for his iPad. He has proloquo2go on it. He received it in December 2010 and is slowly adapting to using it more and more. We still have his book for outside, by the pool, for if the device fails, etc. In fact, the charge ran out at school the other day and he was mad he had to use his book during lunch! We are calling that success!!
    That's awesome to hear!!

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by twinmommy View Post
    We use an Itouch for DS1, he is verbal but we can use the Itouch to create a visual schedule or first/then boards. I can show you sometime if you want?
    I am not even sure what itouch is! I really need to check out all the different options.

I would love to see it sometime....I know you are super close to my house too I am hoping my daughter can make some requests/greetings etc

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyEffect View Post

Thanks...I am off to research

Expert Forum User

I cant offer anything here - but I think this form of technology is awesome Never thought it could be used for communication like this. Very cool
    “A mother's love is patient and forgiving when all others are forsaking,
    it never fails or falters, even though the heart is breaking”- Helen Rice

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by lhiannan View Post
    I am not even sure what itouch is! I really need to check out all the different options.

I would love to see it sometime....I know you are super close to my house too I am hoping my daughter can make some requests/greetings etc
    The ipod touch is a smaller version of the Ipad. I can get almost any app for DS1 that you can get on the Ipad. As DS1 gets older I would like to get an Ipad but I was worried about the cost and the fact that he might throw it when he is angry (he has done this with the Itouch but we have a protective casing around it).

I would love to show you. You are more than welcome to bring your DD if you want to see how she would interact with it.

I can show you some of the different apps that Butterfly effect linked.

Expert Forum User

my dd uses an IPad, I bought it for myself but it has turned into a great tool for her so I share

Expert Forum User

We are going for another ACC consult at TVCC again soon and we are hoping to get a plan together. We are thinking of using a head switch with switch adapter for the IPad. Dd has no real functional use of her hands or arms so it has been difficult finding augmentative communication devices for her. Her eye gaze is not reliable as of yet, some kids use the Ipad with eye gaze.

We hope that the Ipad will be a communication tool for her in the future, for now on the Ipad we are working on yes/no, general play with cause/effect, increasing her visual knowledge of objects, colours and letters etc..

It has been my main obsession for the last couple months, researching and finding all the best sources of info on communication apps and other apps for kids with similar needs to my dd.

Good luck! I don't know what your daughter's special needs are but hopefully you will have luck with this.
    http://lifewithbecks.blogspot.com/

pm me for details about Little Diva Spa Parties

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by lhiannan View Post
    How do you know what applications to use?
    Is it easy to program?
    What kind of symbols/pictures are used?
    How do you start out?
    Is it pretty durable and user friendly for little fingers?
    Is there any funding to help pay for the device ( I have been selling my DDs clothes/toys to pay for speech already)

I would LOVE LOVE to see it!!

I am thinking the Ipad might be too big for my DD right now to carry around.
    I am super excited about a way to help her communicate. She uses mostly signs and gestures at the moment.

We went through Augmentative Communications Services through TVCC and we lease it for $125 a year including the application and training and support. Because DS was using a binder - PECS - with picture symbols, he adapted quickly to the program on the iPad. We more or less just had to teach how to “turn“ the pages, and use the speak button. He has hundreds of symbols and pictures on it. Most are from the program, but you can also add your own photos if you like. We are in Lambeth every other weds for speech therapy. You would be more than welcome to come to part of a session to see it in action. Or, he starts soccer may 30th in the wharncliffe commissioners area if you want to meet me at the park. I could show you then. Otherwise, anytime you want to cone to strathroy, let me know!

We don't have any other apps on it right now - will have to check out the ones BE listed - but we have a couple of itouches between DH and I that the kids use and play on. But we went with the iPad for communication for a couple different reasons - more symbols on a page at a time, longer battery charge life, and no need for external speakers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast