Default Questions for homeschoolers

I am seriously considering homeschooling but have 2 major obstacles:

1) I would like my children to be fluent in French. Although I went to FFL school and speak/read to my kids in French frequently I am not really confident enough to take on the responsibility of teaching them a second language on my own. What kind of French language programs and resources are available?

2) My husband is not crazy about the idea of homeschooling. How do I convince him?
    Momma of 4
    Little man - April 2009
    Little charmer - December 2010
    Little monkey - October 2012
    Sweet baby girl - October 2014

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I don't know about the French, but I would think if you're speaking it regularly in the home, they would pick it up anyway wouldn't they?

Find out what his particular objections are to homeschooling so you can address them properly. If you know other homeschoolers, have him discuss with them his concerns. Offer to just do a trial (1 year?) and then let the results speak for themselves.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

We use Rosetta Stone for Spanish and the programs are great.

There are monthly homeschooling chats in the evening, perhaps come out one time and bring a long your DH.
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

If you're speaking/reading to your kids you'll surprised how much they learn. My parents are dutch. Although (regrettably) they made a point of speaking english at home, I still understand a fair bit of dutch. If they spoke dutch more often, I'd know that much more. So don't sell yourself short. If you feel you need to fill in gaps there are lots of language programs available. DM mentioned Rosetta stone. It's a popular one, but there are others. You could look into getting a tutor, take in a foreign exchange student, travelling or connect with other parents looking for the same.

What does your dh not like about homeschooling?

How long have you been considering, reading about, researching homeschooling? He may not be on the same page as you if he hasn't spent the same amount of time on it.
    I know dh wasn't sure when I first brought it up. I would give him articles, or read passages out of books that I found interesting. We had different concerns. His concern wasn't one for me, and my concerns didn't register for him. One day on his own he downloaded the Ontario curriculum guide and read through it. He asked me if I read it (I had) and he commented what a joke it was. I think reading that pushed him over but he has also been out to the monthly meetings and his schedule allows him to attend activities. (if he really wants to attend an activity he takes a vacation day).
    Calvin: People think it must be fun to be a super genius but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world.

Hobbes: Isn't your zipper suppose to be in the front of your pants?

Thank you for responses. I think you are right and I should probably just wait and see how much French they pick up naturally before investing in a language program but i will look into Rosetta Stone and will consider using it in the future. My 2 year old is constantly suprising me with the things he says and does and one day he might just start speaking French on his own.

As for my DH, I am not entirely sure what his main concerns are. He is not the best communicator. He says that he thinks that kids should go to school and that homeschooled kids are sheltered. I think that a lot of it might be because the idea is still pretty new to him and he doesn't really know too much about it. I have spent the last 6 months reading and researching all of our education options. He hasn't been too interested in it because DS1 is only 2 and wouldn't be starting school for a couple of years. He is willing to let me do a trial but isn't thrilled about it. When and where are the monthly meetings? I might be able to convince him to come out to one of them.
    Momma of 4
    Little man - April 2009
    Little charmer - December 2010
    Little monkey - October 2012
    Sweet baby girl - October 2014