Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default progress on home improvements...

here we go....

our refinished floors (I promise I cleaned up the paint splatter right after the pic was taken...

this is us on the floors before I primed the walls

my that primer makes our trim look bad... looks like we need to get some white enamal paint for it.. I would LOVE to strip it down and stain it... but that's a ton of work, right? anyone done this before?

the kitchen "before" (except the light fixtures are new)

Heather.

Push button. Receive bacon.

kitchen cabnet makeover...on the left- our current cabnet doors- on the right our "makeover".. trim added, primed ready for high gloss enamel...

can YOU see the light green paint colour? Can you tell I was ready for something a bit brighter for the kitchen?

the diningroom is a BIT darker, because the floors are so fabulously light and bright...

another "before" shot of the kitchen...except the light fixtures (including the pot rack) which replaced some UGLY 6" pot lights and a pot rack made of old black cast iron
    Heather.

potential flooring choice for kitchen, mudroom, upstairs bathrooms (in a diffrent colour possibly for these rooms) and fronthall

Heather.

Expert Forum User

Wow! You are doing A LOT at once! I have been through renos while pregnant and while we had a baby... but you are CRAZY to be doing it with 3 at once! LOL

I have heard that sanding down the trim in an old house like ours can take almost a year to do from start to finish! A LOT of work! Not something that I am taking on any time soon that is for sure!

Expert Forum User

Thanks for sharing. That pic of you and the girls is beautiful! I agree with PP though - you are crazy!

Expert Forum User

Wow!! Looks great! And yes - I agree with all other...you are CRAZY!! But it will be worth it...

We tried to strip the paint off the trim in our old place. It was very very difficult because there were so many layers. Also, the majority of that old paint will be lead, so you don't really want to be sanding it. We found a place up here in Kitchener actually that dips trim in a chemical bath and takes it all off. 2years ago when we priced it, it was $2 a foot. We did a small piece as a test and it was gorgeous. We sold the house before we got to the rest of it.

Banned

Heather,
    if you can get the trim off, I know a place that will dip and strip it for you. We used them for all our doors - they even pick up and drop off!

Expert Forum User

Yes, you are CRAZY!!! LOL! I was nuts a few months ago too though. We repainted our entire main level, redid the half bath, and replaced all the floors on the main level. I painted at 9:00 pm when the kids were in bed. It was tiring, but worth it in the end. We still have our bedroom to redo, but we're taking a break.
    Good-luck with all your reno's!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! mamabear's Avatar

It looks great!

...When can I move in?

It looks awesome!! Congrats to you for having such ambition...I only have 1 LO and I can't seem to get my butt in gear to finish renos we started BEFORE she was even born!
    Mama to TWO little sweetie pies!!

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by flamingogirl View Post
    It looks awesome!! Congrats to you for having such ambition...I only have 1 LO and I can't seem to get my butt in gear to finish renos we started BEFORE she was even born!
    Put it for sale...unbelievable how much motivation that brings...I was the same, and now in the last 2 weeks we have almost everything done on the list- except the outside stuff

It is a lot of work Heather..Good Job! How was the refinishing hardwood??? We have oringinal hardwood on the main level in our new place and the join together stuff on the upper level(that needs no work). All a new experience for me since the last time I had hardwood I was about 8yrs old and helped mom shine it by sliding accross the floor on a mat..LOL

refinishing the hardwood wasn't too bad.. we rented the big sander and the edger and it went pretty quick.. we did about 5 coats of the clear coat stuff...

I don't think we can afford the time or money to strip the woodwork at this time so I'll just add to the layers of white paint I suppose.. I have pictures of the diningroom all painted.. 1 sec
    Heather.

before

after
    Heather.

wow that could be a dyson ad, eh?
    Heather.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast