Thread: Kind of worried

Unhappy Kind of worried

I am looking for some other moms with similar experiences.

I had my 18w ultrasound yesterday and it did not go well. I had a ton of pain in my back (kidneys) as I was on the table having the scan, and this happened at my dating ultrasound as well. I was actually in so much pain it was unbearable, I couldn't help but cry, huff and puff and just tense up. The tech told me she'd finish up the baby's measurements and then scan my kidneys. I thought that was great since they'd finally see what the problem is. She came back in the room after going to the radiologist with my kidney scan, and she told me to go straight home and wait for a phone call.

My midwife called me and said I have bilateral hydronephrosis. I had this in one kidney 2 years ago when 20w pregnant with Mallory and it was because I had kidney stones (I passed 3 in the hospital over a week!). This time I haven't had stones, but I've got this problem of my back hurting when my bladder gets a teensy bit full.

Anyways - at the end of the call she said she got the baby's report back too, and that she's got choroid plexus cysts in her brain (ok, so Olivia had those and is fine, I'm not concerned) and then said she's got two white spots on the right side of the abdomen. She made a referral to a doc of my choice at St. Joe's, and I got the call today about it. I REALLY thought I would be going to her for more investigation of my kidneys, but it turns out she's having me re-scanned at St. Joe's (and of course, they want a full bladder ) because the baby's findings were significant enough that the doc wants another look. Here I wasn't even worried about the baby at all, because of the pain I was in and my kidney issue, and now I feel like I should be.

What I'm wondering is if any of you have had a scan with the baby showing white spots in the abdomen, and what it turned out to be. This along with choroid plexus cysts are markers for Down's. And has anyone had kidney issues like this ONLY during pregnancy? That is the only time I've ever had hydronephrosis or stones.

Thanks for reading, I know it was long!
    Mama to 4 bitty girls - 8 yrs, 5 yrs, 3 yrs, and 21 mos.

MamaAssist London - www.mamaassist.com
    Bellycasting, Relaxation Sessions, Doula Services and Organic Mom and Baby Care products

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Oh wow. I don't have any experience with any of these issues, but want to wish you all the support I can in the days to come and hope everything comes through ok for you and baby.

I don't have any experience with either, but I wish you peace while you wait to find out. I remember how terrible my day was at the fetal alert clinic... hopefully everything is okay. Actually I KNOW everything is okay.... power of positive thinking!
    Yale 4yr old
    Kane 1yr old
    and baby makes 3!!! Errr... 4!

Expert Forum User

I am SO sorry you are going through this. DD had clorid plexus cysts too at 19 weeks and is fine. We had an ultrasound the following week and they were already gone. Try not to worry too much (easier said then done, I know), until you know the results of the second ultrasound. They're probably just trying to ease your mind by sending you a second time. I don't have any experience with your other complaints. I wish you the best of luck! Just hang in there. I am sure the outcome will be just fine!!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

My LO had clorid plexus cysts too and the next ultrasound showed nothing! I'm sure its the same with the spots in the abdomen. Postive thinking! I know I was a mess when I got the first ultrasound and just honestly tried to keep myself busy and distracted until we got the next one. Easier said then done. Safe, peaceful, healthy vibes to you and your baby-to-be!!!
    Mommy to three adorable kids!

I don't know but if you find me can you send me home???

I have not had any of the same experiences but sending you good vibes your way.

Expert Forum User

No experience here either but I really hope that everything turns out ok.

Expert Forum User

Sometimes I think that we should for-go ultrasounds...with both my children I was given warnings that they may not be born 'normal'...my son showed markers for Downs & they thought my daughter had a cleft lip...both children were AOK at birth but we sure did a lot of worrying for nothing!

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by million$momma View Post
    Sometimes I think that we should for-go ultrasounds...with both my children I was given warnings that they may not be born 'normal'...my son showed markers for Downs & they thought my daughter had a cleft lip...both children were AOK at birth but we sure did a lot of worrying for nothing!
    I agree! My son showed markers for Downs too. I had an amnio (actually felt pushed). Between the risk of the amnio and waiting for the results (which came back fine) I was a wreck! There's just way too many tests IMO.

Tiffany: I hope things turn out good for you!!!