Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Default I saw Rick Mercer today!

In Victoria Park! It was awesome. I love Rick.

Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

Oh man, so jealous.

Expert Forum User

He was at the rhetoric to reality conference last night - I was supposed to go but with my horrendous migraine didn't! My friend had her picture taken with him

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I was there too! It was fun, lots of ppl. I wanna see the vid!
    LondonMoms has really gone downhill, ever since they started chit chatting in the home and garden forum. There is a place for chit chat, people!!!

Awww, I saw all the commotion and wondered what it was...damn, I knew I should've gone to check it out rather than going to the IL's!
    Mama to TWO little sweetie pies!!

we were there too!
    Former Username JOTR

He shook my baby's hand as he ran through the tunnel! She wasn't fazed, but I was so excited!
    HappyandBlessed
    Maman to five
    DS born still Dec '97
    DS Dec '98
    DS Dec '03
    DS Sept '06
    DD May '10

Expert Forum User

why was everyone in vic park?
    what was the big deal?
    i drove by and noticed they had the street blocked off.
    ~Who ever said "don't cry over spilt milk" has never been a breast feeding mother with latch issues standing over a puddle

Quote Originally Posted by DMSco View Post
    why was everyone in vic park?
    what was the big deal?
    i drove by and noticed they had the street blocked off.
    There was a charity event and this:

- London Vote Mob - | Facebook
    HappyandBlessed
    Maman to five
    DS born still Dec '97
    DS Dec '98
    DS Dec '03
    DS Sept '06
    DD May '10

Expert Forum User

what is a vote mob? lol doesn't say much on the fb page sorry just that there will be pizza.
    Last edited by DMSco; 04-30-2011 at 07:44 PM.
    ~Who ever said "don't cry over spilt milk" has never been a breast feeding mother with latch issues standing over a puddle

You can google “Vote Mob“ and watch some of the videos from other cities. The one from London should be up soon!

More info
    Schedule:
    1:00 pm - Free Pizza and Pop
    1:15 pm - Performances: National Anthem, Blake Fly, Elections Canada, RICK MERCER, and a final thanks from our Vote Mob Team
    2:00 pm - Video Shoot: We'll have people to direct everyone and help make the process go smoothly!

Come armed with signs, flags, and anything else that you think could make a great statement. Brainstorm a few issues that matter to you.

Please come in your Canadian gear or school colours to make the video really pop! We want this thing to go massively viral in a short window of time, and we'll need your help!

Students at the University of Western Ontario, Fanshawe College, London City Highschools, and member of of the community are organizing our very own Vote Mob to let Canada know that in this election, students want to be heard.

Inspired by a recent election version of Rick Mercer's famous “Rick's Rants“ (YouTube - RMR: Rick's Rant - Vote) and the University of Guelph's Vote Mob we've decided to get the word out.

London, let's do this big.

Come to Victoria Park on Saturday, April 30th dressed in your most Canadian outfit! Canadian flags, jerseys, and your loudest noisemakers are highly encouraged. Otherwise wear your school's gear or something fun! Check the partisan agendas at the door please!

What kicked off the Vote Mob initiatives across Canada was a call to action by Rick Mercer:

“This time around, do the unexpected. Take 20 minutes out of your day and do what young people all over the world are dying to do. VOTE.“ - Rick Mercer

This election (#elxn41) marks the first election in which students are able to easily and directly communicate with your local candidates on our own terms. Candidates have flocked to the internet to utilize tools in which many of them never knew existed.

We want to let students understand that voting and politics don't always have to be complicated, daunting, or argumentative.

If the youth of Canada stood up and voted this election we could change the face of politics in this country. Governments would begin to cater more to young people as they vie for our votes.

Let's show Canada that London's youth, whether from UWO, Fanshawe, highschool, or the community, are VOTING on May 2nd!

If you find politics to be overwhelming or if you find yourself lost in a sea of rhetoric and scandal you're in luck. The CBC has come up with a useful tool to help people figure out where they lie ideologically within the political spectrum. It's called Vote Compass and you can find it here:

Vote Compass

It only takes about a minute to go through the questions and is pretty straightforward.

YOU can make a difference.

Signed,
    - Craig Hunter, Meaghan Coker, Joseph Scalia and the London Vote Mob Team
    HappyandBlessed
    Maman to five
    DS born still Dec '97
    DS Dec '98
    DS Dec '03
    DS Sept '06
    DD May '10

Expert Forum User

so they are trying to lower the age to vote then? 18 year olds dont have enough knowledge to cast a knowledgable vote how do we expect 16 year old to?
    silly people.
    Last edited by DMSco; 04-30-2011 at 07:53 PM.

OMG you were part of the tunnel! Jealous!

I was kicking myself for not bringing my buckle tai for DD2 or I would have been more comfortable getting more into the crowd! She was tired, had to carry her.
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

Quote Originally Posted by DMSco View Post
    so they are trying to lower the age to vote then? 18 year olds dont have enough knowledge to cast a knowledgable vote how do we expect 16 year old to?
    silly people.
    Really? It was directed at UWO and Fanshawe. High school students were welcome, but I think the people who ran this know high school student can't vote!

Guelph started it and it caught on at all the other Ontario Universities.

Quote Originally Posted by Colleen View Post
    OMG you were part of the tunnel! Jealous!

I was kicking myself for not bringing my buckle tai for DD2 or I would have been more comfortable getting more into the crowd! She was tired, had to carry her.
    I had started off with dd in my mei tei, but took her out for the dancing and the tunnel. She was waving and grooving - kind of looked scared when Rick grabbed her hand as he passed by, but was fine afterwards. It was VERY crowded alongside the tunnel, but oh so much fun! Reminded me of my nights dancing in Quebec!
    HappyandBlessed
    Maman to five
    DS born still Dec '97
    DS Dec '98
    DS Dec '03
    DS Sept '06
    DD May '10

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast