Thread: snow day

Default snow day

Since i'll be moving to London next month, what do you consider a snow day?
    Here in Windsor today the school buses are not running. How much snow do you have to get in London before they call it a snow day?
    Our roads are extremely slippery here right now. So far about an inch or two has fallen, with lots more on the way.

Expert Forum User

The schools here in London have a scheduled PD day today anyways, so it isn't a school day luckly. My kids are bussed to high school and I'm not sure, if they would have been cancelled (in the city, they catch it at 7:20, school starts at 8 AM) but I'll guess yes. The country ones would have been though due to blowing snow / white outs. BUT, the schools if they don't rely on bus students would be "open for those who could safely travel to school", which means its up to the parents to get them there and get them home again. The announcements are usually made at 7 AM on the local radio and also posted on the website. Not much help am I.

Expert Forum User

Not sure what the official clarification is for the city...know last year it was a 'city wide snow day' when the cancelled not only school buses but closed the schools as well as cancelled the public transit buses and asked everyone to stay home...that was the first time in my time here that there was what I could call a snow day LOL

On the other hand the cancel the school buses at a drop of the hat so to speak...usually the schools are still open for those who can walk or drive personal cars in safely....

not sure if that helps I will have to watch the thread and see what seasoned londoners have to say....I've only been here three years

Expert Forum User

I know that we just got a call from the principal at the school where I work and we were told that our staff meetings and other meetings were cancelled for today, so I get to stay home and work from home (and play with our daughter)

Here in Windsor the kids had their P.A.day yesterday. That gives them a long weekend due to this storm.

Expert Forum User

I just checked on http://www.schoolbusmonitor.com/ and it looks like schools that do not have a PD/PA day today do have bus cancellations.

That's what it looked like outside when they officially closed the school board last year - I drive out to Woodstock every day and I was greatful that I didn't need to drive my preggo self to work in that.

Expert Forum User

the snow day tottaly awake is talking about was the first citywide snow day I can remeber and I've been here all my life. There does seem to be lots of times tho when school buses are cancelled. Unfortunatly as a kid I always lived like a block from my school.
    ...and in that moment I swear we were infinite.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

My husband who works FT for a fed gov't dept here in London called the snowline at work this am and he had to go in, even though some of the other offices in Ont are closed (ie: hamilton is closed. They seem to end up with more snow days and being closed than the office here in London for some strange reason). kind of ticks me off actually! I was hoping he would have been able to have a day off today in order to get some more things done around here and spend a bit of time with the 3 of us...ahhh well heres to wishful thinking! Maybe the weather will get worse as the day goes on and he won't have to work the afternoon.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

We rarely, if ever get snow days. We had a city shutdown in '06 due to a snowstorm, but that was a rarity. Even if the buses get cancelled, the schools are usually still open.