Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default just a thought (lactivism)

here's a thought. am I the only one who gets a little pissy about seeing babies formula fed on tv and in movies? I understand that actresses aren't going to hold a strange baby to their breast. but wouldn't it be nice if they implied that breastfeeding was going on or just didn't make and give bottles to babies on screen? it's like when people rallied to have smoking taken out of movies. wouldn't it be nice to see something that is so much less healthy than breast milk taken off the screen? (as realistically as possible).
    agree?

disagree?
    Last edited by All_naturalmom; 04-27-2011 at 01:35 PM. Reason: correction
    Why yes I'm a Doula! (in training) come check out my Facebook for more info!. Or PM me!
    https://www.facebook.com/greatexpectationsdoula

here is my doulamatch profile: http://doulamatch.net/profile/6878/kate-williamson

ita, I think we need much more exposure to breastfeeding being normal.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

it would be nice to see more babies BF on tv....but i dont agree with taking formula out all together. thats not realistic part of life either as many babies are formula fed.
    jennifer mommy to 4 amazing kids!

Expert Forum User

The new baby on Breaking Bad was nursed for awhile.

AGREED! Breastfeeding is NOT taboo ppl!!
    Just opened a new page making adorable girly things! Headbands, clips, tutu's, etc...

https://www.facebook.com/PrettyPeanuts

Expert Forum User

Rachel and Carol breastfed their babies on Friends

I'd like to see breastfeeding normalised and formula removed too. Formula, imo, should be for special cases only, and I (along with many others) believe that the way it is portrayed as normal is a large part of this problem. Formula is the 4th best thing to feed a child, it should not be the first thing that people see on TV, kwim?
    Mummy to two wonderful miracle boys

I was happy to see Kourtney Kardashian proudly doing it on TV (and yes I watch that show...)lol.

Expert Forum User

I am offended that you called formula unhealthy. I know its not as good as breast milk, but it certainly isn't unhealthy. I don't feed my baby unhealthy things. I give her formula because we exhausted ourselves trying to pump, nurse. I am not giving my baby some strangers milk because I don't see how that is better than formula. Yuck. Sure, show some more breastfeeding on tv...fine, but remember not everyone breastfeeds/can breastfeed. I'm happy and proud that we did what we could for almost 3 months.
    Proud mom of 3 wonderful children

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by dashenka View Post
    Rachel and Carol breastfed their babies on Friends

I'd like to see breastfeeding normalised and formula removed too. Formula, imo, should be for special cases only, and I (along with many others) believe that the way it is portrayed as normal is a large part of this problem. Formula is the 4th best thing to feed a child, it should not be the first thing that people see on TV, kwim?
    what are the other 2? (ETA: I googled, never mind. 'pumped' & donated milk )

I don't think smoking and formula feeding should be considered a same unhealthy evil. However, I do agree breastfeeding needs to be normalized and exposed a LOT more and just like smoking, it shouldn't be encouraged.
    Last edited by newmum2; 04-26-2011 at 08:57 PM.
    tough times don't last but tough people do

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by newmum2 View Post
    I don't think smoking and formula feeding should be considered a same unhealthy evil. However, I do agree breastfeeding needs to be normalized and exposed a LOT more and just like smoking, it shouldn't be encouraged.
    I totally agree with this. I think there should be more breastfeeding on TV and movies, but it shouldn't be banned, there is no way that formula and smoking can be considered similar at all.
    I breastfed Evan for 11 months and he is now formula fed. I 100% support breastfeeding and encourage everyone to do it. I was super proud to BF'd after a lot of problems in the beginning. But I don't think that because I chose to give him formula now (after cow and goat's milk didn't work), that it is horrible and unhealthy and should be banned from movies and TV.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by out_in_the_boonies_mom View Post
    I am offended that you called formula unhealthy. I know its not as good as breast milk, but it certainly isn't unhealthy. I don't feed my baby unhealthy things. I give her formula because we exhausted ourselves trying to pump, nurse. I am not giving my baby some strangers milk because I don't see how that is better than formula. Yuck. Sure, show some more breastfeeding on tv...fine, but remember not everyone breastfeeds/can breastfeed. I'm happy and proud that we did what we could for almost 3 months.
    I agree I tried my hardest to breast my DS and it didn't work so he was formula fed and I would also never give my baby unhealthy things. I am able to breast feed DD and am so happy that I can. I do agree that breast feeding does need to be more accepted out in public, but I also feel if you need to treat moms that formula feed the same way.

I don't think it is about the comparison of formula vs breast..in my mind it is more about normalizing breastfeeding as a lifestyle choice. I believe part of the problem with longevity in the breastfeeding relationship is that we don't view it as a lifestyle choice (which I believe it is). Women need to see how to integrate it into their lives. This is important. There is a difference between preparing bottles and ensuring you can breastfeed where you go without prejudice or being harassed. That is the issue in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivveyy View Post
    it would be nice to see more babies BF on tv....but i dont agree with taking formula out all together. thats not realistic part of life either as many babies are formula fed.
    This, depending on the story that is being told, it might be more realistic to formula feed. And I've seen breastfeeding portrayed as being the norm on both Friends and Sex and the City.
    I actually get more ticked off when I see a woman giving birth on TV, on her back with stirrups and everything else that is soooo wrong.

oh goodness. I didn't mean that formula is as bad as smoking. that wasn't my intention at all I was trying to draw a comparison to the activism itself...the fact that people rallied to have try and have it removed. I never watched friends or breaking bad but it is nice to hear that something showed bf'ing. The point is that it would be nice to see it more in film so it can be encouraged as normal. or in the very least if they do bottle feed a baby it might be mentioned that they are only supplementing because they have to. I guess some people don't really see it as a big enough deal to think of doing that.

I was watching a series called robin hood. it's not the best show ever but anyway it's set in 1192 and they find a baby in the forest and give it cows milk! seriously in 1192 we wouldn't first think of finding a lactating woman?really?.

on that same note anyone seen the new pampers commercial?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Hk3gOHfeIcU
    yup that's right it includes a water birth.
    Last edited by All_naturalmom; 04-27-2011 at 09:17 AM.
    Why yes I'm a Doula! (in training) come check out my Facebook for more info!. Or PM me!
    https://www.facebook.com/greatexpectationsdoula

here is my doulamatch profile: http://doulamatch.net/profile/6878/kate-williamson

Banned

Awesome commercial. Although it made me really really want another baby. lol.
    There are soooo many things that need to be “normalized“. Even just the idea of a midwife vs. an OB. I have friends who have had babies that have no idea what a midwife is. When I told almost anyone that I had chose a midwife, they all assumed I am having a homebirth with someone who has no idea what they are doing. I had a hospital birth and no one could understand why I wasn't using an OB then.
    It's neat to see a waterbirth in a commercial. I think it's a step in the right direction for all things around pregnancy/birth/breastfeeding. Now if it could happen a lot more in movies and TV.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast