Default should i be...supplementing?

DD2 continues to nurse only once or twice a day and she doesnt get a let down often. Should i be giving her homo milk during the day? She drinks water throughout.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

did u have supply issues in the past? i forget. i'd try and boost your supply before going the cow's milk route.
    My little man was born on Oct 12/08 at home into Dad's loving hands.
    My little lady was born on July 28/11 at home... Daddy was busy keeping mom company.

I have 1 baby Santa Suit for Sale 0-3 months (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/vbclassif...&memberid=2201) or to Trade (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/104323-tr...it#post1592622). Thanks for looking!

Yeah, i take domperidone daily, since she was 4.5 months. Shes the one who isnt interested in nursing Sometimes she eats for a while, sometimes she just wants to play. I had cut down on the dom a bit nefore she stopped eating 3x a day. Should i go back to what i was taking before? I was engorged by her next feed so cut down.

Expert Forum User

When my DS starting nursing a lot less often I started adding more cow's milk to his diet. they reccommend about 16 oz of milk for a 12 month old I think?

[/url]

Expert Forum User

If she's drinking water throughout the day, I wouldn't worry about it. My DD has cow's milk protein allergy and does not get any - she drinks water and sometimes water with a splash of juice. I try to ensure that she gets her nutrients in other forms (she now tolerates yogurt in small quantities). If you are worried about the nutrients she is getting you make sure she gets enough cheese, yogurt, etc. With DS he started drinking homo milk at 1yr but after my experience with DD and her allergy, I am just turned off/not concerned with cow's milk consumption.

How old is she?
    I'm the Lactationista
    www.breastfeedingsupport.ca
    Ask me your breastfeeding questions!!!!!!!!!

Former lawyer turned crunchy-stay-at-home-mom to two blessings "Lucky" 06/02 and "Dolce" 08/06. Verision 3.0 is due this August 2011! I am passionate about breastfeeding and I am a breastfeeding counsellor, with training from the Newman Breastfeeding Clininc & Institute. I do private home visits in the LONDON area.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by OctopusesNotOctopi View Post
    Yeah, i take domperidone daily, since she was 4.5 months. Shes the one who isnt interested in nursing Sometimes she eats for a while, sometimes she just wants to play. I had cut down on the dom a bit nefore she stopped eating 3x a day. Should i go back to what i was taking before? I was engorged by her next feed so cut down.
    I would try and see if the extra milk will entice her to want to nurse more, if you can handle the engorgement. M was like that at her age. He was too busy exploring and only nursed when he was hungry. When I started to offer it more, he turned into a boob monster.

Then again, some kids really will wean that early. I know there's articles out there that says kids won't self wean before 2 but every nursling is different, right?

Quote Originally Posted by jenelen View Post
    When my DS starting nursing a lot less often I started adding more cow's milk to his diet. they reccommend about 16 oz of milk for a 12 month old I think?
    A perfect example of how the dairy industry has made it seem like cow's milk it the *best* thing for us. It's the perfect Booby Trap

Quote Originally Posted by breastfeedingsupport View Post
    How old is she?
    her ticker says she's about 13 months old.
    My little man was born on Oct 12/08 at home into Dad's loving hands.
    My little lady was born on July 28/11 at home... Daddy was busy keeping mom company.

I have 1 baby Santa Suit for Sale 0-3 months (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/vbclassif...&memberid=2201) or to Trade (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/104323-tr...it#post1592622). Thanks for looking!

Expert Forum User

oh I didn't mean cow's milk, necessarily. I just thought that one year olds need about that much milk whether it be breastmilk, cow's milk or some other kind of milk (and there are so many I can't even keep track ). But if you don't like the idea of cow's milk and your baby doesn't want to nurse more, you could take more of the dom and pump. Or offer more when she is extra sleepy/cuddly. I hear that often they nurse less around that age and then take it up more around 18 months. But I dunno cause my first nursed tons at that age and unless she miraculously takes the boobie again my second won't be nursing at all!

[/url]

Thank you, Ladies. Ive got my let downs back! She is nursing a bit more, I have found that she will nurse more if we cuddle in bed. She eats cheese and yoghurt daily, so I don't think we will supplement!

You don't have to supplement at all if you don't want to. Even though I just weaned my 1 yr old, she only has a bottle of milk at night. The doctor said she shouldn't have more than 16 oz of milk a day because it can cause anemia. I give her water throughout the day. As long as she is getting calcium and fat in her diet, she doesn't need milk at all. There is nothing in milk that they can't get from other sources of food.