View Poll Results: Can a Christian be pro-choice?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • A Christian cannot be pro-choice

19 25.00%
  • A Christian can totally be pro-choice

57 75.00%
Page 1 of 15 12345611 ... LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default Can a Christian be pro-choice?

I got in a big argument with a friend tonight who claimed that I could not be a Christian if I was pro-choice. He actually told me I must have left my bible in a dusty basement somewhere because clearly I've forgotten my Christianity.

I am pro-choice because I feel the issue is not black and white. It's not a simple issue where one solution works for all and I can't be the one to make that decision.

In my personal life I would choose to have a child should I get pregnant, but I don't think I can be the one to make the decision for the neighbor next door or the one down the street.

I think God teaches us to be compassionate people and not to judge someone for what they choose to do and if someone chooses to have an abortion then we should support that person in their decision because I'm guessing it's not an easy one to make.

Do you think a Christian can be pro-choice? Or am I not being Christian?

Expert Forum User

SOHO and Somewhere between here and there.

I debated over whether I would answer to this, (such a hot topic for a Wednesday night), I hope I am not misunderstood.

I think what I gather from what your post is saying, is that you are pro-life yourself, but that you don't cast judgement on others if they choose another route (because as we are taught, to have compassion and not “throw stones“. Am I correct?

That's a sticky road to decipher, but in my humble opinion, I think that its Christian way to be......as long as your not promoting prochoice or something.

Aaaaaaaah, I don't know, its such a thick topic in regards to the faith. Sorry, I was no help.

Expert Forum User

SOHO and Somewhere between here and there.

So in the end, I put “Christians cannot be Prochoice“, but that doesn't mean that we can't be understanding and compassionate to others whom have chosen a different path. And that also doesn't mean that Christians dno't make mistakes, etc.

Expert Forum User

I generally fall more towards pro-life in my pro-choice camp but I differ because I don't like the signage or the methods the pro-lifers use.

I don't think seeing a dead baby on a sign is beneficial to anyone and I think there are situations where abortion might be beneficial.

If the mother will die from carrying her child it's a hard decision to choose the child or the mother.

If a woman is raped, who am I to say that the woman would want the constant reminder of her attacker?

I think my general feeling is that it's not my body so I don't want to be the one to tell the person what to do with it.

I think the option of abortion should be available to women though I'm personally not “pro-abortion“. My “friend“ said I was pro-death but I don't see it that way.

My sister's friend recently got pregnant and I sat down with her and talked to her about it. I know she has no money and I encouraged her towards adoption but she said she couldn't do that because once she saw the baby she wouldn't be able to give it up. She was going to abort the baby but my other sister attacked her telling her she was going to burn in hell for killing her child. I disagree with this approach.

I think we should present the options and be compassionate and caring no matter what someone chooses. I would even go as far as to drive someone to an abortion clinic and stay with them through the procedure if that's what they felt they needed.

I feel it's about being supportive and a friend and not beating them over the head with a sign.

If that's unchristian, I guess so be it.
    Last edited by Findabhair; 03-31-2011 at 03:21 AM.

They absolutely can be.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

If you think other ppl should be able to make their own decisions and be supported for those decisions, I'm not seeing how you are not pro-choice?
    LondonMoms has really gone downhill, ever since they started chit chatting in the home and garden forum. There is a place for chit chat, people!!!

Of course you can be pro-choice and Christian.
    Mommy to three adorable kids!

I have never met anyone is 'pro-abortion'. People who are pro-choice just believe that the option should be there. I can't imagine why you couldn't be Christian and pro-choice. I highly doubt your friend follows the bible to its letter, well in fact we know he doesn't because he is quick to cast stones.

I am not Christian but it seems to me that you can stand strong in your faith and yet not agree with everything the bible says.
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

Being a Christian means believing Jesus died on the cross for our sins. It means many other things but that is the gist of it.
    Being pro-choice, I believe, is unchristian-like. But it doesn't make you a non-Christian.
    Don't quote me...just my opinion.

Being pro choice means you can't believe Jesus died for our sins?

Also, is there somewhere Jesus talks about abortion that I missed?

You, you absolutely can be. I'd say I'm more pro-women.

Imagine a society where abortion was illegal, is that a situation our God would support, where women are so desperate they will harm themselves to avoid having to carry a baby to term? Rape, incest, cases where it is life threatening to mom, and they should still have to carry the baby? I'm not God, I'm not here to judge. The Bible says again and again that we are not to judge. Offer support, help, sure, but it isn't our place to be judging the position others are in, because we aren't there ourselves.

I find that the larger pro-life movement (not individuals, but the bigger group out there that is very vocal) is not very Christian at all

I would hope that such people exist.

I think you can be both. Both religion and abortion function around a belief system IMO and not scientific fact, so you are free to believe what you want in both cases. I believe there is nothing wrong with being gay and acting on it. I believe sex without commitment or a desire for children is fine too. Both could be considered anti-Christian in some denominations. All three examples are also legal in Canada.

FWIW the pro-abortionists are real and present in London and as I've said, even on this forum. I got to hear a lot from them, as part of their belief is that fetuses with defects should be aborted. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post

FWIW the pro-abortionists are real and present in London and as I've said, even on this forum. I got to hear a lot from them, as part of their belief is that fetuses with defects should be aborted. Good times.
    Gotta love diversity.

Whitehills...Two blocks from my childhood home!

I am christian and I am pro choice.

However I would NEVER abort myself, but its not my choice to tell you to not do it. I may not agree with it, but I will still support the person as a friend.

Page 1 of 15 12345611 ... LastLast