Default He eats so much...is it normal?

DS is almost 3wks (on wednesday) and he always seems to be hungry. He is formula fed (I have a prolactin deficiency and am unable to BF) and is on the Similac with omegas - in the cans premixed. Since he was just shy of two weeks old he has been eating 4-5oz every 3hrs and even during the 3hr span between feedings, he is constantly trying to suck on his hands or he is rooting when I hold him to my chest. When it finally is time to eat, he screams and cries real tears if that bottle is not in his mouth ASAP He has also gained 2lbs in the past three weeks....this seems like a lot of weight to me

He just never seems satisfied....I have been offering him a soother just to see if he needs to suck and although he will take it for a little bit I can tell it's not what he needs.

Would you be concerned or is it normal for him to have this sort of an appetite this early on?
    Last edited by Sdiana78; 03-28-2011 at 08:33 AM.
    "A parent's love is whole no matter how many times divided." Robert Brault

Proud mommy of three wonderful boys

Expert Forum User

The calculation I have read for a FF baby is 2 - 2.5 oz of formula for every pound that they are. That is around what they should average in a day. What does he weigh? He is in a growth spurt at 3 weeks as well so he will probably drink more for a couple of days at least.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I have no idea. Just wanted to say that M gained almost 1lb a week for 2 months (on BM though). He's probably fine. I'd think with formula a LO would gain weight faster because of what's in it.

You could just have a greedy little monster on your hands.

Is he peeing and pooping as he should?
    My little man was born on Oct 12/08 at home into Dad's loving hands.
    My little lady was born on July 28/11 at home... Daddy was busy keeping mom company.

I have 1 baby Santa Suit for Sale 0-3 months (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/vbclassif...&memberid=2201) or to Trade (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/104323-tr...it#post1592622). Thanks for looking!

Expert Forum User

All three of my kids were taking 4 oz per bottle, right away, and increased the amount quickly. I don't think that you can really over feed babies, but that's me.
    Danielle
    Mom of 4

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleCat View Post
    Is he peeing and pooping as he should?
    He is definitely peeing and pooping like he should...no problems there as far as I can tell. He is super gassy though

Expert Forum User

DS1 gained 2 lbs in the first 4 weeks on BM. He was constantly nursing, like all.the.time. He was also super gassy so I got probiotic drops (Bio ghia sp?) and that seemed to help a lot. He stopped nursing as much and seemed much more settled wthin a week of using the drops. I think he was nursing out of comfort not so much the need to feed because we would gummy bite me like he wanted to stop but then scream if I took him off. It was very frustrating.
    Last edited by twinmommy; 03-28-2011 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by twinmommy View Post
    DS1 gained 2 lbs in the first 4 weeks on BM. He was constantly nursing, like all.the.time. He was also super gassy so I got probiotic drops (Bio ghia sp?) and that seemed to help a lot. He stopped nursing as much and seemed much more settled wthin a week of using the drops. I think he was nursing out of comfort not so much the need to feed because we would gummy bite me like he wanted to stop but then scream if I took him off. It was very frustrating.
    I never thought about using probiotic drops...where did you get them from?

Expert Forum User

I got them from the Canadian Apothecary on Adelaide St. in London but they may have them at a health food store in Sarnia if you call around.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I would try a smaller bottle, but more frequent meals.
    and stop part way through the bottle to burp. i found if i burped dd every ounce and later every two ounces, it helped her.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

in the kitchen, the garden, and the laundry room

I`m guessing the gas is mostly related to the formula,and the speed of the feeding.

i`d try letting the formula settle a bit before serving, let then bubbles dissipate.
    then, try sitting him slightly more upright than you normally do, this will reduce how much air he takes in while takeing the bottle.(i know..strange,but works

maybe a different nipple style ... are you using the ones thae are supposed to mimic the breast? that may help too, make sure they are newborn sized too cux the older ones have bigger holes so the milk flows faster out of them..

Banned

I dont think there is a right and wrong amount - each baby is different. I think some babies are just hungrier. My girls each ate 4 or more oz since birth. The nurse in the hospital told me to give her no more than 2oz, and I said dont tell me what to do thanks! =) I fed on demand whatever they wanted.....or what they seemed to need.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Sdiana78 View Post
    He is definitely peeing and pooping like he should...no problems there as far as I can tell. He is super gassy though
    my baby did this...
    he started associating belly pain with hunger cuz he didn't know better. we tried some gas medicine to help with the belly pain. we used oval suggested by the nurse. and it helped. he started to get it that it wasn't always hungry that causes belly pain. and he would let me help with burping and medicine and other things.

not saying that this is deffinatly your problem but it might be. (our problem ended up being the type of formula we were using too)
    ~Who ever said "don't cry over spilt milk" has never been a breast feeding mother with latch issues standing over a puddle

Quote Originally Posted by medaevalmom View Post
    I`m guessing the gas is mostly related to the formula,and the speed of the feeding.

i`d try letting the formula settle a bit before serving, let then bubbles dissipate.
    then, try sitting him slightly more upright than you normally do, this will reduce how much air he takes in while takeing the bottle.(i know..strange,but works

maybe a different nipple style ... are you using the ones thae are supposed to mimic the breast? that may help too, make sure they are newborn sized too cux the older ones have bigger holes so the milk flows faster out of them..
    We are using the Tommee Tippee bottles which has the nipples to most closely mimic the breast....the things I noticed about them though is that he has to be in a position that you would basically breastfeed...if he is sittign up to far, the formula tends to not pool in the nipple properly. I like them though and he seems to give me really great burps.

The one thing I do notice though is that when he is getting worked up while waiting for his bottle, he is swallowing A LOT of air...he sounds like he is almost hyperventilating. I am sure this is adding to the amount of gas he has in his tummy but I don't know how to fix that.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! eversoclever's Avatar

Something to consider... I ff as well, but I still “breastfed“ in terms of offering the breast for comfort. If it makes him angry to suck without getting much maybe that isn't an option, but it helped us at times. Hugs.

My 2.5 month old is eating 5 oz but she was small right from get go and every baby is different. Sounds like a growth spurt to me. I would just keep on what you are doing - if the pee and poop is normal then i wouldn't worry. I found burping every couple ounces helps with the gas. You can try bicycle legs too as that works.
    Last edited by Slipp; 03-28-2011 at 06:57 PM.