Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default iPod/Phone/Pad Apps for Kids

I'm making this a sticky because it seems this topic comes up a lot!

Post your favourite kid apps and the ages they are geared to. Maybe a short description of what they are as well. Also whether you paid (how much if you remember) or they were free.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

PeekaBoo Barn (11months +)
    Free version, but well worth the $$ to upgrade
    My fave and my son's fave for a long time (from 12 months - still loves it at 14.5months)
    The barn shakes and makes an animal sound. You touch/rub the barn and it opens up to show the animal, labels animal. Touch/rub screen and it closes; starts again.

PeekaBoo Wild
    Same as above, but with African animals. No free version.
    There's also PeekaBoo Forest, but we don't have it.

Talking Tom/Gina (all ages)
    Free, upgrades $ get you more options to do with them (like make the cat fart, which is hours of entertainment for kids )
    It's a cat (or giraffe) that you can tap/punch or rub/pet, feed, etc. If you talk, it repeats what you say back. Kids love this. It gets old reeeeeal fast for grown ups.

I Hear Ewe (12m + 3y)
    Free
    3 pages of 12 pictures. Tap a picture and it tells you the sound (e.g. This is the sound a frog makes RIBBIT RIBBIT).

Disney Princess Sticker Book (2.5yo+)
    $2?
    Take a picture of your kid, then size it in and their face gets put on a princess body. Dress up the body in princess ensembles like a paper doll-ish. Works without a picture. Different pages are different princesses.

Barbie I Can Be (2yo+)
    Free? I forget
    One of the most annoying songs ever. Barbie can be either a vet, a cupcake baker or a pizza maker. You get to either take care of pets, decorate a cupcake or make a pizza.

LadyBug's Ready Set Spot (3yo+)
    $3?
    I love this one. Based on the magazine. You are shown 2 pictures and have to decide which of 3-5 other pictures will complete the set. Must look at multiple features to complete the set, varying challenge levels.

Cullen's ABC's (18m +)
    Free?
    A woman who sings and acts out kids songs.

Monkey Preschool Lunchbox (2yo+)
    Free?
    Teaches matching, sorting, counting, colours, shapes and early letter identification/reading.

Starfall ABC's (2yo+)
    $$$
    Same as the website.

Cat in the Hat Interactive Storybook (2yo+)
    $4?
    Three options for the book - read to me, read myself, or read along, I think? Touching pictures shows the label for sight words. Original pictures and story.

Disney Fairies (3yo+)
    $3?
    My 5yo's favourite. Free version, but we got the upgrade. Lots of levels and different 'worlds'. Doesn't seem to be much to it - fly a fairy through a level collecting stuff and avoiding other stuff. Lots of Tinkerbell/Fairy movie tie-ins, videos, and pictures.

Calling All KneeBouncers (9m +)
    $2-3?
    A phone keypad. Labels each number as you tap it. Hit CALL and it 'calls' an animal who appears and says hello and whatever to you. Repeat repeat. Prevents baby-dialing all your contacts by accident.

Duck Duck Moose's Wheels on the Bus (9m+)
    $3?
    Duck Duck Moose has a bunch I think, but this is the only one we have. Each verse of Wheels on the Bus is interactive. Like, you make the doors open and shut, the wipers go swish, etc. A whole bunch of languages you can have the song sung in. There is also an option to record yourself singing. We recorded my 5yo singing each verse and that's what my 14mo listens to most.

Hatch! (9m+)
    Free
    There's an egg. Tap it and it cracks. Tap again and it cracks more. Tap again and it breaks open to show something. Repeat repeat repeat. Cause and effect.
    Last edited by AuntPetunia; 03-27-2011 at 09:44 AM.

Expert Forum User

Our fav's for the Ipad are the interactive disney books I payed .99 each and have toy story, princess and the frog, nemo, disney princess sticker book, cars, mickey mouse puzzle book. We also have a magamind book, I think that one was 2.99. The boys like it but it is not as fun as thedisney ones.

Another fav is fairies fly (tinkerbell and friends) we started off with the lite version and upgraded for 4.99. Even I like itand play it all the time, your fairy needs to fly around diff things to collect jewels

And a huge hit with the boys is cypertoy free (transformers) bumble bee is free and he dances to your music (so flippin cute, Lol) we bought all the other transformers for them at.99 each. they all transform but bumble bee is theonly one that dances

My girls (9 y/o) really like barbie I can be and barbie fashionistas, both are free. The first one they can be a vet,baker ext and cook or make thepuppy feel better type thing..the second one is a dress up type thing

My older 2 love

fast ball 2 (I love this game too)..it is free

Lego HP (harry potter) i like this too it cost 4.99

Tap tap revenge,katty perry revenge...they are free

Beat peat (just like htehand held simon says game from when i was a kid) it was free

Expert Forum User

Another fav for my 11 year old boy is phineas and ferb arcade there are 4 diff games and cost 4.99 i think. i am not to sure what it is all about since I have not played it myself

Oldest dd has a bunch of justin bieber apps on her ipod and loves them all (jb “fever meter“ quiz, a taptap jb game and whatever else bieber you can get free lol)

Paper glider is ahuge hitfor the older 2, hubby and my brother...it is apaperair plane you have to keep in the air and see who can get the gratest distance....free

Wackamonster is a good one to that we all love...free
    The monster spits coloured balls at the coloured balls coming from above, just like any other bubble popping game

Dino rush....free

Dino needs to eat a bunch of fruits,veggies through the board, the more he eats the higher he can jump ext. It is a cute game but kind of hard

i just added snake hd and dinosaurs hd

Theyare easy puzzles (toddler and up) both free
    Thomas tilt and go 4.99

Tilt the i pad to drive the train and collect things, it also tells a “story line“ as you are playing

Talking gina, gremlin, dinosaur

We all love these lol exp the gremlin..free but I think you canupgrade them
    Last edited by kikis6kids; 03-27-2011 at 10:25 AM.

Default Free ABC App

This IS Literacy | Making literacy an everyday activity for families

Design by people in London for families in London

Great post! Does anyone know of any French apps for preschoolers?

Thanks for sharing