Question Middle of the night worry....

I guess I'm a paranoid person by nature but I still wake up once in a while in a bit of a panic if my DD hasn't made a peep for a few hours during the night. My half asleep mind starts to wander and think terrible thoughts. I know she's over the SID's age for the most part but I also know she loves to sleep on her tummy with her face planted in the mattress and I sometimes get worried. I'll lay awake and wait for a while to make sure she's ok. LOL

I don't get up and check and I will usually fall back to sleep but it will sometimes bother me if several hours go by without a peep since she's usually up every few still.
    I just wonder if that ever goes away or do you always worry about your little ones?
    Maybe it's just me LOL

Hand Drawn Portraits of Your Furry Friends!
    Go to suepetportraits.blogspot.com for more details!

Expert Forum User

Last night DS went to bed at 8:30 which was weird enough and was still sleeping when I woke up this morning at 9 am.... I was in a panic. He is almost 2... so no, you're not alone. I did peek in on him and could hear him breathing but ya when he first started sleeping longer I was especially worried because I also found him face-down in the mattress before.

Expert Forum User

for me it went away. I used to go in and stand for a few minutes watching his back go up and down so i could see if he was breathing or not. If i got up in the middle of the night i would do the same. I guess for me it was just getting used to his ever changing sleep patterns at the time, and checking to make myself feel better. And then it would get less frequent that i would get paranoid.

I guess as parents we're always worried about them in one way or another. I was so paranoid when DD was born that I literally didn't sleep for 2 months unless my DH was watching her. Since he was working I would sleep from 7-10pm at night then be awake till 4am when he's watch her till 6am then leave for work! I look back and laugh now at how absurd and silly that is but I was so scared! LOL
    I plan on getting a bit more sleep with this next one. LOL

Expert Forum User

I still panic too and he's been sleeping through the night forever. I will lie there in bed and then I start to think well if I don't check on him and something happens then I'm a bad Mom,. It's a Mom thing and we just have to deal with it.
    I'm

[/B]

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I did (um, sometimes I still do :P ) especially as she was a horrible sleeper, I was paranoid if she slept longer because it was so atypical of her!! I think it is natural to worry, I think closer to the age of two it got better

Expert Forum User

SOHO and Somewhere between here and there.

DS is now 4.5 and I STILL check in on him! Lol

I imagine I will always do this. You know the old, check in on them before I head to bed, etc.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I learned years ago that the easiest way to cure that nagging worry is to just get up, go check on them, and then you can rest easily.
    I still do it. I check on ds on one of my bathroom trips before bed (I pee a lot), and I check on dd right before I go to bed. (Normally I'm in her room a fwe times between her bedtime and mine anyway).
    If I wake in the night and feel worrie,d I just go check.
    If they wake I just say “Just covering you up, good night“ and kiss them and they mumble and go back to sleep.

I figure better to know, and I'll never have the guilt if anything DOES go wrong, and I ignored a hunch.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

it does get easier just remind your self its a good thing one step closer to sleeping through the night
    ~Who ever said "don't cry over spilt milk" has never been a breast feeding mother with latch issues standing over a puddle

Quote Originally Posted by DMSco View Post
    it does get easier just remind your self its a good thing one step closer to sleeping through the night
    That's true. The longer she sleeps the better it is!

Banned

My kids are 9 and 7 this year - I check on them all the time and I wake up at 3am like clockwork every night and see if they are still breathing lol Seriously I get ya!