Expert Forum User

Default Help...Listing House for Sale

Well, we are down to the final crunch getting the house ready to list. I have never sold in the winter before, but that is when we found our new place so it has to be now. Seems like I am not alone
    I am looking for any words of wisdom/recommendations from those of you who have sold recently, on what you "think" helped sell your place. I do not want to waste hours doing things that aren't necessary....and miss out on something key that I am overlooking.
    I am considering a stager...but is it really necessary, or will common sense get me there.
    TIA!!

Banned

There was a thread on this not too long ago.....

http://www.londonmoms.ca/Vbulletin/s...hlight=listing

Expert Forum User

I find most of the properties that I have listed that I have had a stager in typically have sold quickly. I am a firm believer in the stager and that is a service I will continue to offer as part of my service. She gives valuable information on decluttering, placement of things and little updates you can do that will make your home more saleable.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by mum_of_four View Post
    There was a thread on this not too long ago.....

http://www.londonmoms.ca/Vbulletin/s...hlight=listing
    Thank-you..I thought so, in fact I think I posted on it..but am working on about 4hrs sleep, so thought I would throw it out there.

boysRus

Two words- storage locker. We didn't hire a stager but removed a lot of furniture, most of the boxes and out of season clothes to a locker. It was $120 a month for an 8 by 10 foot locker. That an a new coat of paint on almost all the rooms helped.

mumtobelle

We listed ours last February and we had an offer in a week. We didn't hire a stager but we cleared out the house so it was spacious, removed many of the personal items on display and repainted pretty much the entire downstairs. It looked bright and fresh and clean, in fact it never looked better

Expert Forum User

Clearing out clutter is big...put away your family photos. Also, make sure your closets don't look cramped. Home staging is "all the rage", but if you can't afford it, at least have a friend come in and view the place and give you critique ( a friend who isn't afraid to tell you the truth! lol). Fix any little things that might leave a bad impression, like sticky or squeaky doors. Have the carpets cleaned.
    If you have a beautiful garden, you could include a picture of it in your printed listing that you or your realtor will hand out to prospective buyers. We have a beautiful pool but it's kinda hard to picture it right now, kwim?
    Please always show kindness in your posts as the person receiving it may need it more than you will ever know.

SAHM to two boys, 13 and 7.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Liisa View Post
    Clearing out clutter is big...put away your family photos. Also, make sure your closets don't look cramped. Home staging is "all the rage", but if you can't afford it, at least have a friend come in and view the place and give you critique ( a friend who isn't afraid to tell you the truth! lol). Fix any little things that might leave a bad impression, like sticky or squeaky doors. Have the carpets cleaned.
    If you have a beautiful garden, you could include a picture of it in your printed listing that you or your realtor will hand out to prospective buyers. We have a beautiful pool but it's kinda hard to picture it right now, kwim?
    yes..kwym-we have a 16x32ft inground pool with lovely gardens all around the perimeter of the yard, and a 20 foot deck- not viewable now- I would so prefer to sell in JULY!! Need to go find the photo albums that have already gone to storage..LOL But I don't think there are any without people in them.
    We have rented a 10x10 heated storage room-around the corner from the new place, and I have been up painting most of the week. Most pics are off the wall, but to me it seems so cold now- not a home.
    I have a carpet cleaner-planning on using this weekend. Seems like I am on track. Anyone know how much a stager is....still not sure about it- my agent isn't promoting it as she hasn't been thrilled by the cold/emptiness of the homes once the stager is in. She sells everything she lists...so I have to decide do I listen to her or not???
    I know for sure the place I bought did NOT have a stager- I saw the potential- and checked off everything on my wishlist..well almost everything

Expert Forum User

One thing that really helps you see your house differently is to take a picture of each room and then look at the picture. Things will jump out at you that you never noticed before. I personally don't think a stager is needed but I am addicted to those house selling shows so I figure I'm an expert by now! Want me to come over and give 'er the once over? Better yet, post some pics and we'll all let you know. If you trust your realator and she has a good track record, I would probably go with what she says... otherwise, why hire her? Good luck selling!