Default How did you wean?

Since starting back to work in January my milk supply has really dropped, I don't get engorged anymore and i never hear DD gulping when she's sucking. At this point she drinks goats milk and water in a sippy cup all day long and just nurses for comfort. Sometimes just once a day or if i have the day off sometimes multiple times a day she will want to comfort nurse.
    She doesnt use a pacifier and she falls asleep on her own with her lovey.. she is fine all day at daycare. So i know she knows how to self soothe. But with me she throws a fit if i dont let her nurse. Any suggestions on how to wean her fully from nursing? Does it sound like she is close enough to doing it on her own anyway? She gets so mad if she wants to nurse and I try giving her a sippy cup instead.
    DD - Feb 5, 2010. DS - Mar 16, 2012

Expert Forum User

sounds like she is pretty much weened. you may just need to put your foot down and say no and deal with it for a few days. at that age they don't hold a grudge for long.
    ~Who ever said "don't cry over spilt milk" has never been a breast feeding mother with latch issues standing over a puddle

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Just because you can't hear her, that doesn't mean she's not getting any milk. I haven't heard gulping from M in ages. At least a year...probably longer.

If she wants to nurse, then let her. Sounds like she's not quite ready to stop if she's still nursing a few times a day if you're available.
    My little man was born on Oct 12/08 at home into Dad's loving hands.
    My little lady was born on July 28/11 at home... Daddy was busy keeping mom company.

I have 1 baby Santa Suit for Sale 0-3 months (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/vbclassif...&memberid=2201) or to Trade (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/104323-tr...it#post1592622). Thanks for looking!

Expert Forum User

I was going to say too- you might not hear the 'gulp' cuz shes more mature and can handle a mouth full better.

But if you are desperate- just say no and you will have a few rough days, but it should be ok.
    But saying this- I am struggling in the same boat- DD2 is 13 months and won't take anything at all!
    Love isn't love till you give it away.

If I were in your shoes I'd probably keep nursing. It sounds like she will make up her own mind about nursing soon enough so unless you find it to be a chore or any type of negative experience then why not keep going?

DS is 18 months and just got over the flu...the only thing he would consume was breast milk and during these past few days I've felt fortunate to still be nursing him. I never would have thought about that 6 months ago and now I'm eager to keep going until he's at least 2.

good luck with whatever you decide.
    Why yes I'm a Doula! (in training) come check out my Facebook for more info!. Or PM me!
    https://www.facebook.com/greatexpectationsdoula

here is my doulamatch profile: http://doulamatch.net/profile/6878/kate-williamson

Expert Forum User

DD is 15 months and she nurses 1 to 3 times a day at most at this point. I know she's still getting something though because she'll occasionally open her mouth wide and smile at me and then milk will pour down my front. lol

Expert Forum User

are you wanting to wean? maybe she is just not ready, just because she can go without when your not around, she might just want that comfort and connection to make up for missing you!
    i have no idea how to wean a baby who doesn't want to ...all mine stopped on their own!
    good luck!
    Mommy to 3 great boys!!

Do you want to wean her? From what you wrote I don't see anything that was indicating you want to or need to, just that you don't think she is getting a lot.

I agree with the others, look for other signs of swallowing rather than listening for gulping to show she is getting milk. I hesitate to suggest weaning at this age as often with them newly at daycare and not as much time with mummy the need for nursing is very physical, even if they can fill their tummies with something else, they want mummy. I found my daughter was glued to me and wanted to nurse when I returned when I started being away more for school. They get your undivided attention and close contact with you when they nurse and that is comforting on many levels.

If you don't mind her nursing, why not keep it up? Your body adjusts supply to whatever she uses, so if it is once a day, you won't produce a lot, but that's fine.

All the best.

Thanks for your responses! I was mostly just wondering how most of you weaned.. if it was the baby deciding to stop or if you stopped cold turkey and how long it took for the baby to stop asking. I wasnt ready to stop at all but figured since I didnt have much milk left it was time to start thinking about it!
    DD - Feb 5, 2010. DS - Mar 16, 2012

My daughter slowed down and then completely stopped at two after night weaning, that kind of did her in I think and she already wasn't nursing a lot in the day. I didn't intend to stop nursing her at that point, it just happened.

Expert Forum User

When DS was 18 months we were only bf 3 times a day - morning, dinner, bedtime, but he started to get fussy and wasn't latching anymore and would only suck for a second then get up and run away or fight to get away so I was trying to force him to bf and just gave up and he stopped asking.

I had been in school or working since 10months so he was mostly bf more at night or weekends or getting expressed bm or cow milk at homedaycare.

I have only weaned once - but he was 4.5 years old so it was pretty easy. We picked a date on the calender and that was the last day. He was only nursing at bedtime and I was also nursing his sister who was one at the time so I didnt get engorged. I dont know how to wean a different way.
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/