Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default no MMR ?? anyone BTDT??

We found out that DS has a life threstening Egg allergy which tipically ment no MMR. but now now they r giving us the option to counter act the mmr with epinephrine?

that sounds so silly to mo to risk him....
    anyone have more information about this??
    anyone else have children who skipped the mmr?
    ~Who ever said "don't cry over spilt milk" has never been a breast feeding mother with latch issues standing over a puddle

Expert Forum User

I can't think of who it is but another LM was just talking about this and how she was going to bring her LO to the allergist to get the shot. Sorry I have never btdt.

Expert Forum User

right i remember reading that.
    ~Who ever said "don't cry over spilt milk" has never been a breast feeding mother with latch issues standing over a puddle

Banned

My kids didnt get it and if I were you (only since you are asking) I wouldnt risk it, esp. having to counter it with something else - that would scare the wits out of me!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Neither of mine have received MMR.

We chose not to. It is not related to an allergy.

Yearly, I have to complete a form and submit it to the health unit stating that we are not having the vaccine and understand that if there is an “outbreak“ of measles, mumps of rubella my children will be asked to stay home from school.
    "Anything is better than lies and deceit". Leo Tolstoy

Expert Forum User

yea i don't think counter acting it with somthing else sounds like it would be a great idea either.

Expert Forum User

I think a life threatening allergy seems like a good reason to skip it, but that's just me.
    Daisy - Mum to M (July 2005) and T (July 2009)

This is something I'd be having to get a lot of different opinions on: the allergist's, the doctor's, other moms who have btdt etc. It would be one that from what you said, I'd lean towards not risking it. Is egg allergy one they can outgrow?
    But, I'd look into it thoroughly before knowingly exposing him to an allergen that will bother him.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

So many people choose not to give it , and their kids are just fine. DS hasn't had it and won't be having it, and that's through choice.

Based on that, it seems very risky to hope that the epinephrine will counter the allergy, and also to assume that the vaccine will be as 'effective' when his little body id going to be so busy dealing with the allergy and epi, kwim?
    Mummy to two wonderful miracle boys

i was recently told “allergies are not a reason to not vaccinate“ I think docs are shifting because so many other people are choosing not to vaccinate at all, and that herd immunity is going down.

Now, do I agree with that? Hell no. lol

Noah's only ever had his 2 months shots, and he reacted to them. He had an h1n1 vax, and that's it.

double post
    Last edited by Leigh; 03-21-2011 at 03:38 PM.

Lilia doesnt get any live vaccine and that includes the MMR.
    jennifer mommy to 4 amazing kids!

Expert Forum User

I had DD at the allergist to get her MMR this morning so I could be the LM people are talking about. She had no reaction.

DD does have an egg allergy but it is not a life threatening allergy. If she did I don't think I could have vaccinated her with the MMR it scares me too much!!

When I was in labor with her I had tested positive for group B strep but am severely allergic to penecillian and they wanted to give me that in addition to another medication to keep me from reacting to the penecillian. I chose not to take the antibiotics because I thought the risk outweighed the benefits.

It's a hard call with the MMR imo but I would talk to someone like Dr. Kloth's office as they would know best.
    Last edited by Findabhair; 03-21-2011 at 03:52 PM.

Expert Forum User

DS has not had the MMR and will not be getting it. I wouldnt risk it myself but I guess doing your own research is the best thing.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Upsidedownmuffin View Post
    I had DD at the allergist to get her MMR this morning so I could be the LM people are talking about. She had no reaction.

DD does have an egg allergy but it is not a life threatening allergy. If she did I don't think I could have vaccinated her with the MMR it scares me too much!!

When I was in labor with her I had tested positive for group B strep but am severely allergic to penecillian and they wanted to give me that in addition to another medication to keep me from reacting to the penecillian. I chose not to take the antibiotics because I thought the risk outweighed the benefits.

It's a hard call with the MMR imo but I would talk to someone like Dr. Kloth's office as they would know best.

really they wanted to give you pen still???
    i have an allergy to pen aswell and so i know that there are other things just as effective that are synthetic that don't try and kill me if i take it why in the hell would they not give you one of those???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast