Thread: Growing pains?

Expert Forum User

Default Growing pains?

Last night (and a couple of nights ago) when I put my daughter to bed (she's 2.5) she has been complaining that her legs have been hurting. I was wondering if she might be having growing pains as she appears to be in another growth spurt.

Anyone else experience this with their LOs?

Cathy

Hi Cathy.....Jenna used to get these quite often...not so much at the age that Rachel is now but more when she was five or six.....she still gets them now......I just lie with her, give her some ibuprofen and rub her legs.....sometimes even a cold cloth works......

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I used to get them as a child and really bad too! I can remember many times laying on the floor and grabbing my legs and screaming out in severe pain! I would often get into a nice warm bath. I am sure an Ibuprofin would help as well. Heating pads or hot water bottle will help too. Some children seem to go through worse growing pains than others. My brother was never affected with them.

girlsmum

Vicky got them really bad cuz she grew so quickly..............and when she started dancing it was a bit harder on her, not only cuz it hurt her legs to do intricate moves on legs that were growing but once she'd mastered an Irish set dance or reel, she'd have to start over again to learn it with what felt like a new pair of legs, so it always seemed like she was clumsy.

Definately leg massages can help with the pain, super extra calcium/magnesium can help with the pains as well, I prescribed more to Vicky as I studied pains in the legs, apparently if they have lots of calcium, it makes the transitions less painful.

I never had them so I can't imagine how awefully painful it can be..................best wishes.

I read somewhere that eating bananas while pregnant helps with the muscle cramps in your legs. Maybe making sure she gets enough bananas, and get her to stretch before she goes to bed (reach up TO THE STARS to get her to go up in her tippy-toes, reach DOWN TO YOUR TOES!!! etc. etc.). Good luck!

Aden had this at about 20 months. He was telling me "legs owie". I rubbed then with lotion and he said it was better.
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/

Expert Forum User

Cooper just woke up the other night with them as well complaining that his knees hurt. I feel so bad for him. I never had growing pains but my dh said his were horrible.

boysRus

Hopefully they are growing pains and they will pass with a little help from tylenol and warmth. If they are stilll bothering the child and she complains frequently of pain or slows down. I would get a blood test done or check with your dr.

Expert Forum User

I have rheumatoid arthritis and the pains in my knees this past few days has been really bad. I really can predict rain/snow by them! lol I also had terrible "growing pains" as a child. Our family physician at the time told my mom it was all in my head! I have also heard that calcium/magnesium supplements can help, as well as iron. Massaging the legs can't help but make him feel better, too!
    Please always show kindness in your posts as the person receiving it may need it more than you will ever know.

SAHM to two boys, 13 and 7.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

My dd used to get sore knees a lot. I would give her a warm bath and some advil and it seemed to help her some.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Ali

My daughter has had growing pains since she was 2 (she's 4 now). The doctor said not to worry as long as it isn't just one leg all the time. I give her Motrin and rub her legs. I've also noticed that she'll get these pains if she isn't wearing warm pj pants. I make her wear pants to bed even in the summer.