Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three kids

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Three kids

I have a 2.5 year old and a 9 month old and I would really like a third baby. My husband is very set against the idea, says we can barely handle the two we have (not financially more keeping up with and emotionally) and I'm just wondering if anyone out there with 3 kids finds it that much more overwhelming than 2? Are the family dynamics weird with an odd number of kids? We've had a rough time with our youngest being so fussy and I wonder if she weren't if he would be more inclined to have another (he also has a 13 year old from a previous relationship). Just thought I'd see how having 3 has affected other families.
    Mommy to three adorable kids!

I don't know but if you find me can you send me home???

I have 3....He has been the worst so far. I think if I thought of it I don't know.....I want an even number though that is why we are going for number 4. Number 3 wasn't exactly planned. I could have been done with 2, hubby wants LOTS. So for us going from 2-3 was a big deal only because he gives us the most grief out of all of them.....

Expert Forum User

I have three boys (ages 9, 6 and 4) the youngest two are only 18 months apart and fight like crazy.
    I'm talking about full out wars chasing each other with "wacking" objects etc...
    The yelling and screaming - my God, will it ever end?????

I found a HUGE difference between 2 kids and 3 kids.
    Mainly for DH and I it was the fact that they out number us!!!
    If we have three kids crying and upset only two can have your attention NOW.

The youngest is also the "troublemaker", the one who gets into everything, the one who still will have "tantrums", the one who has the sweetest tooth but will eat practically no vegtables or fruit .

This is just my personal experience - I didn't feel it was a huge jump from one to two but three was a little overwhelming for me - KWIM???

I am a third child and I don't believe my parents were any less aware of any one of us then the others. When we talk (us kids) we don't feel we got less....i am sure parents bond a bit more with one over a shared interest but that isn't the same as support and love as that is always equal...
    I have 3 children and while I deal with jealousy and an ex...(oldest has different dad) I find our house runs as well as it can with all circumstances being what they are... (too long)
    I even have a step son that comes very other weekend and it again doesn't cause too much stress...normal stress with all children.
    Rebecca is a teen, SS is 10, Ambers being the MOST trouble (if you will) 2, and my NB -Timothy (what an excellant baby!!!!!
    You get what you get and every child is unique and different...so if finances aren't it and you don't feel your done I guess you and hubby have some talking to do.

The future is uncertain... but this uncertainty is at the very heart of human creativity

aveymom

I am the youngest of my mothers 3, and then I have 3 MUCH younger siblings, (2 step, although added to our fam, when the were 2 and 4 yrs) and one half sister (never use those terms they are ALL my brothers and sister as far as I am concerned).

So I have seen the three kid fam work quite well, all of us older ones got lots of attention and no one seemed favored in anyway, BUT my mom says the first three yrs of my life (with two older bros all of us a yr apart) was BLUR!!!
    hubby and I have discussed this over and over, and have decided we will have no more than two( in fact he had to talk me into two).
    My mom and dad both believe if we can handle going from one to two then we could handle going from two to three, but I do not believe them, LOL!!!

GL, with w/e you decide!!!

StacyLyn

Whitehills...Two blocks from my childhood home!

I am number five in my family and it wasnt so hard being number five..I like odd numbers..I want three or five kids...(I should mention I am also a girl (DUH) and I have four brothers (Older) so that was more hell then being an odd number

I have three at current, and granted, they are all still pretty little. Bri and Serena can play beautifully, or fight like nothing else, and the same goes for Serena and Katie. Bri and Katie mostly ignore each other.

Serena the current middle kid was/is the hardest one. She's high energy and high needs (she was the baby that cried all the time) and she's difficult to discipline effectively. Katie is the sweetest baby ever, and so easy. She was always content to wait for my attention.

I didn't find going from 2 to 3 to be a big deal at all.

Expert Forum User

Interesting thread as dh and I are also discussing the 3 option, and my kids are also a little over 2 and 9 months!
    I'll be watching to see how others feel about the odd number, etc.
    Last edited by sardam; 01-22-2008 at 03:42 PM.

Expert Forum User

My dh and I are in the same boat. I would like three more than he would because he was the middle of three boys and I don't think he loved it. I'm an only child so I have no idea, but I love watching my kids together and when I look at some of my friends, who do so well with many kids I think what's one more.

aveymom

(I should mention I am also a girl (DUH) and I have four brothers (Older) so that was more hell then being an odd number
    I also have four brothers, 2 older 2 younger, I LOVE and LOVE having so many brothers, I think i would have killed 4 sisters, LOL one is plenty.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

i'll let ya know in a couple months lol

Honestly though.. the jump from one to two was difficult for us.. im expecting 2-3 to be about the same. Only this time DH is actually taking time off work.. and we're hoping to not end up in NICU again.. so both those factors may have a huge impact on how the transition goes.
    Last edited by Leigh; 01-22-2008 at 04:12 PM. Reason: typo

Expert Forum User

I have one boy and two girls, three years and 2 months apart (to the day for the 2nd and 3rd). I'm not sure I'd call it difficult, once your a mom there's no going back and there's less guess work after the first one. I guess the typical new baby in the house stuff, it's just the same differences as when we went from one to two. I guess I was the oldest of three and my sister and I aren't THAT close but we're still sisters, I wanted to have one less then my parents, no real reasons. Now my kids are a crapshoot. The oldest and youngest play but then the age thing kicks in and he's too cool to play with his little sister. Then the girls can play fine until one wants what the other has and all hell breaks loose. Then the first and second born can have a touch and go relationship then the oldest wants to play mother hen... it's different yes, like any addition, but it's not difficult.

I am the only girl in a family of four children where the oldest right now is 23 years old and the youngest is 18 years old and I truly have no idea how my mom managed when we were little. I have two boys and have also been wondering how a third would fit into the family dynamic.
    Three busy boys and one lovely little lady!

Expert Forum User

I don't know this reality yet, but I can tell you it was a long discussion to convince DH of a third. I could be kidding myself, but I think my transition will be easier than it was from 1 - 2. DS was 27 months when DD was born, and at the height of temper tantrums. DH was on the road right away when DD was 24 hours old, and gone for a week at a time. Now my DS will be atleast 5.5 or 6 when a third is born, and DD will be 3.5 or 4. We have such great routines, I think I'll manage much better the third time around. Like I said, I could be kidding myself!!! LOL!!!

Dh's argument was that we are out of the baby stage, we can easily handle 2. He wants to travel and take the kids. DS was so difficult as a toddler it scared him off. Things are easier now. I have him convinced and I so badly want a third. I do hear that it is more difficult to travel with a family of 5. For me a family camping trip or cottage would be just my thing anyhow. I don't need anything fancy. I love the baby stage, and I can't wait to do it again. I don't think I could handle any more than that personally. Takes a special person to handle that IMO! LOL.

Expert Forum User

We thought about a third, and have decided against it. My husband really wasn't for it, but was willing to talk about it. I realized it is probably hard for me to accept that I will never have any more children.
    Our children are 3.5 years apart. I imagine it is even more difficult having them closer. Having young kids is stressful and if your husband finds it tough now, I'm not sure adding another one to the mix would be a good idea at this point. I would suggest not making any permanent decisions (you know what I mean ) and just focus on your two kids for now. If you really want a third then maybe it could still be an option a few years from now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast