Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default Talk to me about the "9 month sleep regression"

I think E is doing this BIG time. They say it happens when they are meeting a bunch of milestones, combined with teething. And E is definitnely don't both of these right now.

Trouble is my DH and I don't see eye to eye. I kind of see it as stage that she needs supporting through, do what we can.

He wants a plan to get her to STTN like she 'used to'. He doesn't really have any friends with kids, so doesn't necessarily have anyone to talk to about it!

So, just looking for other stories, BTDT with this sleep regression phase. Any tips or tricks always welcomed! I'm going to show DH so he can hear it from other parents!! He loves LM's - whenever we have a question, he always says - GO POST!!

So lets hear it, the good the bad and the ugly of your 9 month old sleep regression!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Haha, they can/will do it at every big milestone, who knows why learning to crawl around and use all that energy all day makes them be up more at night, haha!

I'm come to the point your options are to fight them on it or work with them and I ran out of energy to fight with sleep disruptions a LONG time ago This is the biggest argument I've heard against CIO, it doesn't really teach them anything and you hit a sleep disturbance, like teeth, milestones, etc, you're back to square one and have to start over after the few rough nights. So if the method that supposedly solves your 'problems' and gets them sleeping through the night can't deal with this situation, then nothing else is going to 'solve' it either :P

She'll sleep again and more, honest Just in her own time, being sick, teething, crawling, that is a lot going on in her little world

Expert Forum User

We had one recently because of pre crawling. She suddenly wanted to sleep on her belly, fine and easier than swaddling on her back. Then she had a several day sleep regression so I started swaddling her on her back again and it restored her sleep.

Swaddling is my answer for everything. :P

Banned

Evan started his at 8 months. He STILL hasn't gone back to sleeping through the night, and he is just over 10 months.

My ds is almost 9 mths and has the party all night attitude as well!!! I will finally get him asleep and put himdown and boom... Wide awake!!!
    It is def very frustrating!!!! He is up every 2 hrs max!!!!!
    I would love suggestions too!
    If anything at least we know we are not alone

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by cmama View Post
    My ds is almost 9 mths and has the party all night attitude as well!!! I will finally get him asleep and put himdown and boom... Wide awake!!!
    It is def very frustrating!!!! He is up every 2 hrs max!!!!!
    I would love suggestions too!
    If anything at least we know we are not alone
    Exactly!! If there is nothing we can do, then at least we can feel sorry for ourselves together!! LOL

Neely just did this to us and still is. But she just started to crawl aswell. But she now has a cold so this wearing her down. I have no idea, other then hope it doesnt last long.

With Isabelle it started when whe was about 4 months old. Until this point she was a dreamsleeper. Napped wonderfully and slept through the night 10-12 hours straight.
    Then she started teething and learning how to sit and everything started to change. First she stopped STTN, then she stopped napping, then she stopped going to sleep on her own and a couple of weeks ago she decided that after her first wakeing in the night (usually 3 hours after she went down) she wants to go to bed with me.
    And when I go through her journal, every change for the worse came together with another major milestone.

As I am not a CIO person, I just go with her flow. Meaning, I give her, what she needs. For example when she wakes up after 3 hours in her crib and I go in and hold her hand until she is back asleep it takes maybe 30 minutes and she is up again, complaining and restless. I hear her sucking her thumb, tossing and turning and actually trying to go back to sleep. But it does not work so she complains. I go back in. She will fall asleep with my hand but then I am back in her room 30 minutes later.
    If I pick her up and bring her into our bed she is out as soon as she hits the matress and stays asleep. Now that she is growing again, she wakes up around 4 for a feed but that“s it. She really seems to need to be near me. Sometimes in the night I hear her stirring, then I feel her hands searching for me. She touches anything of me (hair, hand, face) and goes back to sleep without a peep.

First my husband was a bit reluctant to have her in bed with us as we co-slept with her older sister but that was completely different. But as soon as he realized that she was peacefully sleeping and not waking up every hour (like her big sister) he was and still is on board with having her in bed with us.

Their first year is such a developmental burst for them, I guess some babies are just more sensitive to it than others. As soon as their development is slowing down a bit it will get easier

Sorry for that novel!

A

My son is a month younger, but we definitely hit one of these sleep disruptions every so often before he learns a new trick. Suddenly he'll be sleeping well again as soon as he's mastered it (“sleeping well“ for us is 3 night wakings - we haven't made it through a whole night yet).

The worst was around the 7 month point. He was up every hour, for a whole week. I thought I was going to die!!

It sounds like our DH's have a similar point of view. Mine gets upset, and will sometimes wonder aloud at 3am what I've eaten or drank that day to “cause“ the trouble. A little extra coffee? A dessert? I don't usually respond nicely to those conversations.

although its not fresh in my mine (DD did this at the same age, but that was almost a year and a half ago)

cosleeping was a godsent for me, she'd wake, I'd nurse her, she'd go back to sleep, and it was frequent!!!

but it stopped, and she's beem sleeping through the night for a year now
    [URL="http://lilypie.com"][IMG]http://lbff.lilypie.com/0wMjm5.png[/IMG][/URL]

Expert Forum User

Is it perhaps related to illness, teething or ear infection? My DD sleeps really well but every time she gets a stuffed up nose she is waking up all the time!

[/url]

Expert Forum User

We had the same thing happen for a couple of nights where I was averagin 2 hours of sleep a night. She was sick as well as she starting crawling within a couple of days. Then her sleep pattern went back to normal. I definitely think there is a correlation to sleep disruption and milestones. My DH doesn't say anything to me because I do all of the getting up in the night for the most part. I make him get up early though if the kids get up early. It is a fair trade off in my eyes anyway!

They STTN before 9 months? When on earth did this happen!? DD2 is STILL up every two hours!
    I'm JK about the STTN thing DD1 slept through the night from 3 months onward. There was a very brief week (around 9 months) when she was up once at about 3am I just gave her a small feed and put her back to bed. She got over it pretty quickly and we carried on as usual... I didn't stress over it to much, I figured it was a 'phase' thing.

Ok last night was the worst!!!! He would not get back to sleep and I mean crying because he was laying down in my arms.
    He will actually wake up and just crawl around his crib.
    I am like... Ok buddy you can crawl...but you have all day to practice!!!!!!

SO great to hear that DS (9months next week) and I aren't the only ones burning the midnight oil! Although fot us, STTN is still some sort of mythical, hypothetical sort of thing anyways! Max he has ever really slept is 4 hours, usually up every 2-3 during the night.

He just cut another tooth and is busy pulling up and creeping around during the day... I thought all that would make him MORE tired... funny how that works isn't it! Like Aljiana, I have noticed that he just seems to want to be near to me... so most nights that's where he ends up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast