Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Question sewing/diaper question

For anyone who makes their own cloth diapers.. have you ever taken the plastic liners you can buy say at like walmart ( ya know the plain boring gerber white ones or whatever they are)
    cut them up and used them to make a liner within your own cloth diaper?

I have discovered that I have a few.. and I was thinking about cutting them up and using them.

Any ideas??

And has anyone ever bought procare barrier fabric from wazoodle? or from anywhere and used it for a liner in your diaper??

Thanks!

mumtobelle

All my small diaper covers that my mother made for me had a procare lining. I am pretty sure you can get it at Fabric World. I also have some covers that April (My Precious Baby By April) has made me in the past and they are great. No problems with leaks.

As for making them from Gerber pants I'm not sure. I guess the concern would be seepage through the needle holes? But, I can't sew to save my life so maybe I'm talking out my rear on that one.

Hrm.. good point. I hadn't thought of that.. hrm...*scratches head*

mumtobelle

Wait, I just reread my post. I meant Fabric Land.

You know what though ? To make any diaper cover/diaper liner.. it'd need to be sewed on somehow.. im gonna give it a shot anyways. Lol can't hurt right?

I believe procare and PUL will seal around the holes by running them through the dryer on hot, which is how you prevent the seepage through the needle. I believe you need to use polyester not cotton thread too to avoid wicking.

Let us know how it goes.

mumtobelle

Yes, whenever I get a new batch from April she always suggests a couple hot washes and dryings to help shrink up the pinholes.

Expert Forum User

I don't know any of the proper terms for things, but maybe you ladies can help me out too...
    Is PUL the plastic liner part inside a pocket diaper? I am thinking of attempting to make some pocket diapers for fun, and this is the only part I'm not sure where to find. I'd really like it to be in pretty colours too.

mumtobelle

Pul is the laminated waterproof fabric they use to make the outer shell. I think it stands for polyurethane laminate and it's hard to find loccally if not impossible. You could do the same thing using procare and cover it with a cute cotton print and a fleece lining. I know there is or at least was a yahoo pul co-op.

Wazoodle.com has PUL and Procare. Procare is more durable from the sounds of it. 1000 home vs 300 ( i believe) to the PUL.

I ordered 2 yards of it yesterday, and they have a TON of other fabric, and cute prints there too.

I have made one diaper already, without any PUL or Procare, and it needs a cover. Once I get the Procare, I'll just put a lining of that against the inner diaper shell, and sew it together just like I did the other one. I put 4 layers of fleece and sewed that to the inner part of my inner fabric, and then attached the two.. so instead of two layers it will have three layers now with the Procare. Does that make sense?

Im not making pockets, though.. but I am sure you could alter the pattern I am using to make one..

mumtobelle

What did you use for absorbancy Leigh? I kind of get what you are saying but it sounds like you used fleece which won't really work. You need some cotton terry or something really absorbant in there if you are making a fitted diaper (which is what it sounds like )

Its a terry mix of some sort , and fleece. Lol ( Can you tell I'm still new at this?) lol

I am going to go ahead and try with the Gerber pants as a liner, in just a few minutes. My other diaper still didn't have any velcro on it.. so I am tackling that right now.
    I'll post pics of them later, well at least of the one, cause it'll be finished in minutes.. not sure the other one willbe done before nap time is done. lol

Here are pics of the two diapers I've made

The first is both of them, and the second is just of the first one I made.

I really like the first one better. It'll take some getting used to sewing with the procare lining once it gets here!

mumtobelle

Those look great! So are you making covers once your procare arrives?

Im either going to make covers, or use them for lining in the diapers.. havent yet decided..

And thanks :0

Nathan looked super duper cute wearing one tonight I'll have to post pics later though!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast