Default thinking about buying a sewing machine

tell me all about it! I saw a singer for 98.00$ at walmart. anyone buy this one?. did you like it?
    Why yes I'm a Doula! (in training) come check out my Facebook for more info!. Or PM me!
    https://www.facebook.com/greatexpectationsdoula

here is my doulamatch profile: http://doulamatch.net/profile/6878/kate-williamson

Expert Forum User

I bought a Singer from walmart 3 years ago for around the same price. I'm not sure if it's the same model they currently offer or not. I like my machine for basic things. It's good for hemming and mending and occassional use. At one time I used to sew alot (like 4-5 hours per day). This machine wouldn't hold up to that but it's a pretty decent machine for occassional use.

Oh my, my husband bought me one two years ago? Because it was on sale...But it must have been in Dollarstore or something, it looks like a toy sewing machine, don't ask how it works ...He did the same to me even before, bought me an iron, and one screw is already gone, so it's falling apart. Never let your husband buy you those things!!!!!!!!

It depends on what type of things you are sewing. For light sewing like basic hems or basic clothes, it will be fine, but if you will be using it a lot or doing heavy duty things like Jean hems, it won't hold up. I used to work in a sewing machine store and came to realize that Singer is not what it used to be. Honestly, I would spend the extra $100 or so and go to Sears and get a Kenmore. They are made by Janome, and my first machine was a Kenmore. It lasted me over 10 years, and was still going strong when I sold it, I just wanted an upgrade!
    Also, I teach sewing so if you are new to it and want to learn, let me know!

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

So glad someone else asked this. I have been wanting to get a sewing machine and learn to sew for years now. My mil used to make her kids costumes and dh always says I should make the kids but I have no clue how to sew. Then DD is in a play right now and there were a tonne of costumes that needed making and I felt so bad that I could not help with this. When talking to the ladies this week they told me just basic sewing would work because they are just costumes and do not have to be perfect. made me realize that I should just learn. I think dd would love little sundresses and special pjs too. Simple patterns but stuff she could pick.
    Help my Kaitlyn reach her goal of selling 100 boxes of Chocolate Mint Girl Guide cookies. $5 each and we dliver. PM me

http://dawnfitzgerald.myepicure.com/
    But message me directly to order or book and I can get you a special LM deal

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlyn'sMommy View Post
    So glad someone else asked this. I have been wanting to get a sewing machine and learn to sew for years now. My mil used to make her kids costumes and dh always says I should make the kids but I have no clue how to sew. Then DD is in a play right now and there were a tonne of costumes that needed making and I felt so bad that I could not help with this. When talking to the ladies this week they told me just basic sewing would work because they are just costumes and do not have to be perfect. made me realize that I should just learn. I think dd would love little sundresses and special pjs too. Simple patterns but stuff she could pick.
    check out the link the in my siggy! Its so easy to learn and a great skill to have

Expert Forum User

I did get a Singer for Christmas. It is the $300.00 one that is there now at Walmart but before Christmas it was on sale. I use mine a lot and so far works fantastic.

Costco has some sewing machines on sale come April. I think I will get one then. I am excited to get sewing again, it has been too long!
    HappyandBlessed
    Maman to five
    DS born still Dec '97
    DS Dec '98
    DS Dec '03
    DS Sept '06
    DD May '10

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by HappyandBlessed View Post
    Costco has some sewing machines on sale come April. I think I will get one then. I am excited to get sewing again, it has been too long!
    They have a brother machine that embroiders that I've been eyeing for a few months. It's $100 off right now. I didn't realize their machines go on sale in April. I may just have to keep my eye on it and see. Thanks for the tip

Quote Originally Posted by MomLiz View Post
    They have a brother machine that embroiders that I've been eyeing for a few months. It's $100 off right now. I didn't realize their machines go on sale in April. I may just have to keep my eye on it and see. Thanks for the tip
    That was one that I saw in the catalogue - it is currently $100 off (so $399.99 after discount). There is also a Brother Computerized Sewing Machine that will be $100 off from April 4 - 17 ($299.99 after discount). These deals can only be off of costco.ca. I am still trying to decide if I would use the embroidery feature enough to warrant the extra $100...
    HappyandBlessed
    Maman to five
    DS born still Dec '97
    DS Dec '98
    DS Dec '03
    DS Sept '06
    DD May '10

Expert Forum User

Think of all the adorable personalized gifts you could make...stuff for the kids...etc etc. lol...I'm no help. I used to have a machine that embroiders (Singer Futura) and it died on me. I can't wait to get my hands on a new machine that embroiders. I didn't see the $299 one. I'll have to scope it out...thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MomLiz View Post
    Think of all the adorable personalized gifts you could make...stuff for the kids...etc etc. lol...I'm no help. I used to have a machine that embroiders (Singer Futura) and it died on me. I can't wait to get my hands on a new machine that embroiders. I didn't see the $299 one. I'll have to scope it out...thanks

It doesn't embroider, but it looks like it is fancier than a base model. I've never had a computerized sewing machine... It is item #261483
    HappyandBlessed
    Maman to five
    DS born still Dec '97
    DS Dec '98
    DS Dec '03
    DS Sept '06
    DD May '10

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I personally can't stand computerized ones. You're kinda screwed if there is any issues with it, ykwim? At least a non computerized one you can trouble shoot much easier, and fix for much cheaper.
    I have a kenmore sewing machine from sears, a step or two up from their basic model. Its okay. I just got a Singer Serger last night and can't wait to really play with it! I made a couple washclothes last night so I could get that immediate itch of a new toy out so I could go back to unpacking. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    I personally can't stand computerized ones. You're kinda screwed if there is any issues with it, ykwim? At least a non computerized one you can trouble shoot much easier, and fix for much cheaper.
    I have a kenmore sewing machine from sears, a step or two up from their basic model. Its okay. I just got a Singer Serger last night and can't wait to really play with it! I made a couple washclothes last night so I could get that immediate itch of a new toy out so I could go back to unpacking. Lol
    actually i beleive it was your post I saw that reminded me I wanted to ask

I have hand stitched forever now, I've only used a sewing machine enough to have the basics but I'm a great self learner. right now I want to be able to make my own cloth pads, mend clothes, and I'm big on handmade gifts too.
    Why yes I'm a Doula! (in training) come check out my Facebook for more info!. Or PM me!
    https://www.facebook.com/greatexpectationsdoula

here is my doulamatch profile: http://doulamatch.net/profile/6878/kate-williamson