Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! eversoclever's Avatar

Default Do you/Have you homeschooled your special needs child?

I just returned from a workshop concerning transitioning to school and I'm definitely troubled by many different aspects of traditional schooling, especially for my special needs kids.

Am I alone? I have a lot of concerns and I thought this meeting would make me feel better. In actuality it was all about how to write a non-threatening letter and how to educate teachers and principals about your child's needs.

I don't know if I can stomach this.

Maybe try posting your question on A Different Drum message board? That's the only thing I can think of...so sorry hon!
    Mama to TWO little sweetie pies!!

I don't understand the yahoo group and I ended up unsubscribing. We're moving anyway, right? I just hate this, I don't like having insecurity surrounding their safety, education, treatment and grading. And I do. The whole thing just bothers me. It doesn't help that I'm told quite often that they're “required to be in school,“ which is a lie. So much pressure to put them in and keep them in. I hate it.

Banned

I'm in nowhere near the same boat as you, but I have a lot of concerns also.
    I agree that ADD is a great place to ask!

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

no advice just a hug!
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Not sure where you're moving..is there a homeschool group for that area? If so, get online and ask questions.
    I would also re-join ADD. There are other moms in your shoes and they can better address your concerns.
    Calvin: People think it must be fun to be a super genius but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world.

Hobbes: Isn't your zipper suppose to be in the front of your pants?

Expert Forum User

Who's telling you they are “required to be in school“? That's just a crock.

But yeah, I know there are other moms in your shoes on A Different Drum; just get on there and put it out there. I have always been amazed at the thoughtful and helpful replies to the hard questions asked.

Hugs to ya, evs.
    "Show me your horse and I will tell you who you are." -- Old English Saying

Quote Originally Posted by dressage mom View Post
    Who's telling you they are “required to be in school“? That's just a crock.

But yeah, I know there are other moms in your shoes on A Different Drum; just get on there and put it out there. I have always been amazed at the thoughtful and helpful replies to the hard questions asked.

Hugs to ya, evs.
    Contact Hamilton was the last organization to say it to me, over the phone on Friday. “They need school and are required to attend...“ And I hear it all of the time in early intervention services, and if you correct them and say there is actually no 'requirement', they get really exasperated at the suggestion that one might homeschool a kid with special needs. Lots and lots of push-back on this topic from professionals and clinicians.

Muffster sent me a bunch of info on homeschoolers in our new area, so I sent out some e-mails and I'll start there.

Expert Forum User

My DCP has an adopted daughter with severe fetal alcohol syndrome and she home schools her 13 year old. She was in school but at one point was having about 30 seizures a day so she she decided to take her out as they didn't know how to handle her. If you would like I can see if she would be able to talk to you. PM if you would like me to ask. She is very open about what her and her daughter go through on a regular basis and she uses her experiences as educational tools for others.

My SO's kids are homeschooled. One has an ASD diagnosis and is 9, the other is 7 and they are still going through the process of figuring out what his needs are. They've been homeschool a year and a half now. Without giving out their location, they are not in London but closer to the golden horseshoe area. Their mom is on here from time to time although haven't seen her post in awhile. If you want to ask her some questions I can mention to her she should take at look at this thread. PM me if you want more info.
    Last edited by WynterMom; 02-23-2011 at 07:39 PM.

Expert Forum User

The pressure must be fierce, evs. It gets tiring, I'm sure.

I hope you figure things out and come to a resolution that makes life easier for everyone, including you, mama.
    "Show me your horse and I will tell you who you are." -- Old English Saying

I just found a yahoo group specifically for homeschooling special needs kids: Homeschool_SpecialNeedsKidz : Homeschooling Special Needs Kidz

Although it is US based, there may be some good info on here from other parents in the same boat.

Good luck!

You can PM me if you'd like. We were in the school system at one time. Our experience was far from pleasant. I also learned I lot on who to contact and best ways to handle matters when trying to get things in place for your child.
    If I don't respond right away please have patients, I don't get on here regularly.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Well, I know we've spoken about this, but in case you want to refer to this in the future I'll mention a few things here. I am short on time so this is point form.

-easiest to tailor to their strengths. So much fun working with DD last year on science and nature.
    -I was very lazy with pushing her in areas that she hated, because she pushed back so much. It wouldn't be a huge deal if you were homeschooling indefinitely but I was always very much aware of her needing to go back to school at some point, so I was concerned with delays, KWIM? It was hard to just sit and make her write for the sake of making her write, when it made us both so stressed out.
    -Doing any homeschooling or community activities was difficult at best. Because of the ages, basically. I had so many things I wanted to do with her but I was pulled in 3 directions. But also, because of the expectations of maturity level. Like if you're going to take them to a homeschooling group class, there's the expectation of them being mature enough to sit quietly, participate, etc. There's still the mentality of teacher/teached.
    -Getting out and being social became optional for us. Bad news. She had trouble with some playdates (aggression, etc) and I just stopped trying a lot of the time. I like being alone, don't get me wrong, but it was bad for our psyches.
    -Definitely had to shift my mindset in that I had to schedule time for my own activities (which was hard as DS was so wee and still nursing), but that would be necessary...there's no 'break time' when you drop the kids off, even for 2 hours.
    -doing lessons and activities weren't even a break as I had to be on site for them. And usually had the other two to chase after/care for.

I still don't know what the right choice for us would have been. Or what it will be in the future. If she gets into this special program for next year I'll be thrilled. If not....I may or may not revisit the issue of homeschooling, at least once DS is in school in 2012. She would absolutely do well with me at home, esp if it were just the two of us.
    Last edited by Ginny; 02-27-2011 at 08:34 AM.
    The poster formerly known as Geomamma

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by eversoclever View Post
    they get really exasperated at the suggestion that one might homeschool a kid with special needs.
    This is crap. Kids with special needs can thrive at home. (And it's not like the school system is designed or inherently set up to be an environment that's ideally-suited to SN kids' needs! And even if it was, that wouldn't mean that the children couldn't also/alternatively thrive under the care and tutoring of their parents anyway, if that's what the family prefers.)

I'm sorry you're getting pressure, ESC. I think that this is a decision that you need to make for your children yourself, through your own evaluation and reflecting on what you believe will be in their, and your whole family's, best interests, without the pressure from anyone.

If you want to talk, let me know. I support you, whichever decision you decide to make.
    Last edited by Ceili; 02-28-2011 at 09:15 AM.
    formerly Kathy