Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default So how do you pull your child out of school?

and where can I get homeschooling supplies/work books to follow the grade 5 curriculum?

I am really considering pulling my 11 year old out of school do the the bullying he goes through on a daily basis (much worse than just name calling, he is being physically injured, coming home with bruises,scratches at least 3x a week). I can't do it anymore and it is not fair to him that he has to deal with this every day. I don't know what else to do but pull him out of school at this point. I am also considering moving to another town/school board so we may just pull him out for the year. I just don't know what else to do

Can you do this. I thought once they were in you had to keep them in school.?

Banned

You need to send a notice of intent to the school board. You can find a copy of it here:

OFTP

Have you talked to the school about the bullying?

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! Mommy2Cuties's Avatar

Sorry your son (and you) are going through this.

Does your son want to be homeschooled? If so, what if the bullying stopped - would he still want to be homeschooled?

I would try and talk to the school first but that can be a lengthy battle sometimes.
    I stole Turtle's Lollipop! xoxo

Nicole, mama to Miss A (April 2005), Miss K (Sept 2007), Angel Baby (August 2008), and Baby A (June 2009)

Expert Forum User

we have talked to his teacher more than once, the principal as not returned any of my calls but has suspended the other child more than once for him beating on my son.

Our son just wants out of this school but we can't send him anywhere else (that I know of). I have not asked him about it yet I just want to figure things out on my end before I talk to him about it (I will talk to him about it before pulling him out if it comes to that). Like I said I just don't know what else to do at this point.

I have no clue who else I can talk to about this before yanking him out of school (we do have the school councilor working with him for the self esteem issues he has because of the bullying). Just have no clue where to go from here :S Pulling him out seems like the quickest and easiest way to do things at this point.

Banned

I just sent a letter, they tried to bully me and say they would send social worker to make sure the kids were being educated properly, etc. I told them where to go and they havent bothered me since.
    Last edited by DMC2008; 02-22-2011 at 07:09 PM.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

if your son is 11 this child is 11 maybe 12? can you find out if the child is the magic of 12 and have the bully arrested?

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I have not BTDT but just wanted to send your poor DS virtual hugs! No one should have to put up with that. It makes me sad that your DS would have to leave school while the bully gets to freely keep attending.
    *~* The point isn't whether they lived happily ever after, the point is that they lived*~

Ana
    Expert Forum User

So sorry this is happening to your son Kiki. You can buy curriculum materials geared to grade and ministry approved for Ontario from Scholar's choice. As already stated, you need only send a letter of intent and thats ALL thats required of you. I hope things get better one way or another for him!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

DS took a mental health year (for lack of a better word) and it made all the world of difference. If nothing else, it buys you time to look at alternatives, while he's safe and feeling secure.
    And maybe it will be something you'll love and want to do from here on in.
    *hugs* I would be doing the same thing. I wouldn't hesitate to go back to homeschooling if ds didn't enjoy school.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by sittingpretty View Post
    if your son is 11 this child is 11 maybe 12? can you find out if the child is the magic of 12 and have the bully arrested?
    unfortunately he is only 11 and the school keeps telling me that because the bully is ADHD I need to “understand that he has impulse control issues“...I don't need to understand sh1t other than my kid is coming home bruised and battered just about every day and has been since the beginning of the year I don't care what the other kids issue is he needs to keep his hands off my son.

Expert Forum User

SOHO and Somewhere between here and there.

You may get permission to simply transfer him to another school (out of your area).......not really fair to you guys, but atleast that other child is not there.
    My father did this for me when I was in highschool (I wasn't being bullied, but it wasn't good for me at my home school, so he got me transferred). You would need to talk to the superintendant. If the principal of your school is not returning your calls, go to the next person up.

We can all be understanding, but like you said, this other child is harming your child (and maybe others?).....why should their safety be at risk?

*hugs*

Expert Forum User

I'm sorry to hear your son is being bullied.

As for what you need to keep him home/pull him out: yep, the letter of intent is all that's needed. Just send the school board (and, if you so choose for courtesy's sake, the school) a letter that states that you'll be pulling him out to homeschool him/“provide him with satisfactory instruction“ yourself, and you're good to go. It's as simple as that.

Also, know that homeschooling can be as short-term or as long-term as you want. So even if you just want to use it as a temporary solution so that he doesn't have to deal with this bullying anymore, say, tomorrow, you can do that. You can pull him out whenever you want, and could put him back in whenever/if ever you want should you so choose, at will. So you don't have to worry as much about whether homeschooling will be the “right“ or “wrong“ solution, delaying doing so until “you're sure“ or what have you, as it needn't be any longer-term a commitment than you choose for it to be; if you give it a try and change your mind, you still have all your choices available to you. So it's a solution you can use right away to keep him safe in the immediate short term, for starters, and then continue from there as it suits your and his needs.

Nor do you have to decide upon and obtain your curricula, lesson plans, and otherwise “have all your ducks in a row“ before starting/pulling him out. You can pull him out of school as soon as you choose to do so, and sort out all the fine details after you do. If you do do this (homeschooling, that is) for any length of time, chances are you'll end up making adjustments to your original academic plans as you go anyway, as you determine what works best for your son and you as a family unit/learning partnership. So not having curriculum plans in place yet needn't be cause for delay if you feel it would be in your son's best interests to pull him out as soon as possible.

Good luck to you. Whatever you decide, I hope things improve for your son.
    Last edited by Ceili; 02-22-2011 at 10:20 PM.
    formerly Kathy

Ana
    Expert Forum User

Kathy makes some excellent points. There really *is* no need to wait till you're sure or that you are ready to begin school-at-home immediately, the day you take him out. Do what you need to do to keep him safe and sort out the details after.

Expert Forum User

Doesn't surprise me principal isn't doing jack. I'd be standing in her office and refusing to leave until this was dealt with. Actually I have better luck with the vice principal returning calls then the principal.
    Proud mom of 3 wonderful children

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast