Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default HOW do you find a good doctor?

And, how much importance do you place on things like the reviews on ratemds?
    I was given a list of several doctors. So far, any of those still accepting have not returned my call so in the meantime I decided to look at their reviews on ratemds.com

Seems here are my choices:
    -a doctor who tries to push you to buy the book he wrote, about God and religion, and often ends up competing with your ailments by telling tales of his own troubles

- a doctor who berates her staff regularly, in front of patients, and does things like innoculate kids w/out asking the parent, and snipping part of the foreskin so it will slide better to retract at age THREE, and other scary tales

-doctors three and four have tons and tons of reviews saying how they don't listen, try to charge money for every prescription written, blame everything on you being overweight even if you're only a bit overweight, and tend to be rude to the elderly and make you feel like you're wasting their time.

wow...
    that's a grand lineup from which to choose, eh?

So, how do I find an actual, real, trustworthy doctor?

I adore my doctor in St.Thomas but it's just not practical to hang onto my spot there anymore. Dh's doctor in in London, and i'm on meds that now, the clinic informs me I have to be aware that I can't just come in every other month for a new prescription: each doctor could decide on their own, to stop the medication if they feel like it. Oh gee that sounds healthy. thanks. So i need a doctor for me, and would like one for the kids. (in the meantime we use walkins).
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

could your dr in st thomas not refer you to someone there?
    Dr Kloth is refering all my kids (but she only sees and treats 2) to a ped there.

Can you pm me the ped? Did you look at their ratemds reviews? There is one paed on my list, but the reviews scared me so i am wary of her.

I could ask my st.t doctor to refer me but I'm afraid he'd be referring me based on 'hey i remember so and so, they were nice in med school' and not on a basis of what they're like as a doctor, to deal with in reality kwim?
    I could ask, though. My st.t doctor is *awesome.*
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

I would look at all the comments and if they are generally good I would go by that..not the one or two that are bad. Its just so hard to say. My GP has horrible reviews on there, but I love him, he's delivered 2 of my 3 kids. He sees my girls and they love him to. So its hard to say. As for a pediatrician...my ds goes to Dr. Ramadan and he is wonderful and you'll hear that from lots of moms here.

Quote Originally Posted by *allie* View Post
    Can you pm me the ped? Did you look at their ratemds reviews? There is one paed on my list, but the reviews scared me so i am wary of her.

I could ask my st.t doctor to refer me but I'm afraid he'd be referring me based on 'hey i remember so and so, they were nice in med school' and not on a basis of what they're like as a doctor, to deal with in reality kwim?
    I could ask, though. My st.t doctor is *awesome.*

i don't know the peds name yet, but once I do, I'll let you know!

Quote Originally Posted by mum-to-a&m View Post
    I would look at all the comments and if they are generally good I would go by that..not the one or two that are bad. Its just so hard to say. My GP has horrible reviews on there, but I love him, he's delivered 2 of my 3 kids. He sees my girls and they love him to. So its hard to say. As for a pediatrician...my ds goes to Dr. Ramadan and he is wonderful and you'll hear that from lots of moms here.
    I wouldn't worry about a couple of negative reviews, either, but I'm talking scary serious stuff. And so many negative reviews their rating is a vs a , so basically meaning that more bad is posted than good. And consistent complaints about serious stuff, not jsut one person kwim? Once I sign up with someone, it will be even harder to find a new doctor because so many will not accept you if you have a doctor, even if you're unahppy with them. It's hard enough if you have one, but they're out of town. I don't want to make a mistake signing on with someone I'm going to regret and being stuck there.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11

Banned

The clinic in Ilderton has some Drs......not sure what area you are in though.